458 Dead Pedal - from Hill Engineering | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Dead Pedal - from Hill Engineering

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ricambi America, Feb 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I am awaiting my shipment. Can you let me know exactly which screws I need to get from the hardware store? (I have a 2013 Italia). Thanks.

2. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Daniel, your efforts on getting parts to the community are always appreciated...at least by most. Looking forward to installing this. I'll just install over the rubber. I have short legs anyways so the extra two millimeters will help. ;) Keep up the good work.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#53 Ricambi America, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    M6x20 should do it. Look for something with a conical head, so it sits nice and flush with the pedal. Here's a picture of what another Fchatter used in Hong Kong (black screws are the original ones).

Zinc plated would be the best choice, but dysprosium, promethium, or yttrium plated hardware would also be acceptable. Yeah, I know.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. sundowner

sundowner Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick
  5. RipVega

RipVega Karting

Jan 12, 2014
    Berkshire
    For those in the UK, I just had a response from Hill Engineering and there will be a batch of RHD ones available direct from them for £69.50 in 10-14 days.

And here's a source for the screws in stainless.

6. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    Daniel,

Errors happen and small details matter, thanks for responding in a positive way.

7. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think finding the screws are easy enough. Hope we can have the opportunity to purchase the pedals again soon!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

8. sundowner

sundowner Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick
  9. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
  10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Wow, titanium! You'll be able to corner faster because the dead pedal will more securely withstand the forces generated by your left foot bracing yourself. ;)

Seriously, there isn't a need to spend $7 per bolt. The supplied screws work perfectly fine with the rubber pedal. If you want a "cleaner" installation without the rubber pedal, any reasonable bolt that fits properly should work.

One other consideration is that maybe you might want to leave the rubber pedal on, as any dirt or moisture that falls thru the holes in the metal pedal would get trapped by the rubber pedal, as opposed to going through to the firewall or carpet directly.

Thanks Ricambi for offering updated mounting hardware. Great way to address the issue.

11. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I know, I know no need just wanted to try another option and seriously they are half the weight of stainless screws and match my titanium wheel bolts 😄

12. sundowner

sundowner Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick
    Sounds like a good idea. I wonder if you use a longer M6 X 25mm or 30mm bolt you might be able to accomplish this and still use the oem holes? Has anyone tried this?

13. llink

llink Karting

Nov 18, 2013
    Northern California
    That is a good idea.

14. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Ah yes, I totally forgot about the weight savings, so now in addition to out-cornering me you'll also be able to out-accelerate me! :)

15. bkhko

bkhko Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2011
    HKG
    Full Name:
    Koby
    #65 bkhko, May 8, 2014
    guys, been working with dan & ricambi on RHD fitment and want to contribute to this thread. wanted to to this earlier but have been travelling - this may have cleared up some confusion earlier.

Dan has been nothing but responsive in the process and personally dont hold him/ricambi responsible for the incorrect mounting hardware. As Dan has mentioned, he was unaware of the screws on the more recent production models, and the aluminum dead pedal was orignially designed to be an overlay on the rubber dead pedal (tapped and mounted on the OEM pedal) - i fully accept this and dont hold it against them.

Obviously since then, myself and several memebers have highlighted the possibility of mounting using the original holes so long as you can find the correct screws. I dropped by my local hardware store and found that M6 1" flat head bolts did the job perfectly. They cost me less than $0.50 cents each and was easy enough to find. Inthe attached picture you will see the OEM (black) bolts and the M6 1" Flat Head Bolts purchased.

The second picture is the installed picture. as you can see (starting from the top) using the holes in row 3 / column 4 and row 15 / column 2 lign up with the OEM mounting points. The aluminum pedal sits on top of the rubber dead pedal and the 1" bolts are sufficient clear it.

The finish of the aluminum pedal isn't quite as smooth as the factory pedals, but expect it to wear in over time. its significantly better than the cheap rubber dead pedal that ferrari includes. in my opinion, this was a major oversight from ferrari, as this single inexpensive upgrade makes the driver side foot well look much more cohesive and asthetically pleasing. i have significantly less expensive club racers that already include matching dead pedals, and the entire car cost less than the options for the 458.

anyways, lets put this behind us all and not beat up vendors trying to supply the ferrarichat commuinity with products that we want. i purchased a few extra bolts anyways, so if anyone is unable to find them at their hardware store, i'm happy to mail them my extras. just PM me with your address. I have 4 extra (2 of which i was going to mail back to Dan to help), so available on a first come basis.

16. masterlu

masterlu Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Florida, Cape Cod MA
    Full Name:
    Ivan
  17. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I tried to mount through the rubber pedal with the OEM points but found the M6 x 20 mm too short. I wanted to leave the rubber pedal on as to keep that part OEM, and to prevent moisture damage behind the pedal (like my 458 ever sees the rain anyway, it might melt ;) ).

I found it easier to just screw into the rubber pedal using the screws provided. It feels quite secure like that, and if I ever decide to remove it, the OEM rubber dead pedal is there. It was the easiest screw ever.

18. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
  19. sundowner

sundowner Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick
    Thanks for sharing. That is exactly how I wish to install.

20. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

21. RipVega

RipVega Karting

Jan 12, 2014
    Berkshire
    #71 RipVega, May 23, 2014
  22. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was so excited to receive my dead pedal today in the mail (USPS) but once I saw the envelope they shipped it in I new we had a problem!

I was shocked to find that it opened during shipping and the dead pedal was gone!!

I sent an email to the Ricambi folks, sure hope they replace this for me!

23. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I just got your email -- about 5 seconds ago. Did you really think we wouldn't replace it immediately? Of course, a new one will go out tomorrow.

24. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you very much, great customer service as I hoped! :)

25. sundowner

sundowner Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dick
    Daniel, Have you received the correct replacement hardware / screws? I would appreciate receiving. Thanks.