458 - 458 engine rebuild time lapse video | FerrariChat

458 458 engine rebuild time lapse video

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Boiler Inspector, Nov 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boiler Inspector

Boiler Inspector Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Pretty cool time lapse of a 458 rebuild. The author has another one but this one is better and more detail on the re-assembly:

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow what a stud. that looks insanely complicated.

3. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    coming from late model Porsches and their notorious problems, I thought that the 458 rebuild wasn't that terribly difficult. For reference, one bank of the M96/M97 engine you have to install the wrist pin clips blind. And heaven help you if you continued assembling the engine and it wasn't fully seated in it's groove...

4. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice video, but hard to understand how anyone would let such a beautiful machine get into that state in the first place.

5. Dom458

Dom458 Rookie

Apr 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Really enjoyed this thank you. I didn't realise the 458 had a removable cradle taking engine, trans and suspension down in one similar to that found on earlier V8 models.

Poor thing was starved of oil. Guessing that bill was insane, so he won't skimp on oil changes going forwards.

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’ve tracked the daylight out of mine, and with 40,000 hard-driven miles, I’m eventually looking at a rebuild, of sorts. My Indy said it’s far better not to wait until it grenades (makes sense). Car runs great, btw.

I would think by now it should be possible to get a crate motor. I don’t think anyone cares about matching numbers, at least not on mine.

7. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've seen some long blocks for sale on eBay, and they're all around $30k, some even with 100k miles asking that much! Unless you needed the block, I'm thinking you can get yours rebuilt for that much. Also, from what I have seen in the rebuild videos posted on YT, the cause of failure was usually neglect or one of them was the crankshaft manufacturing error, so there doesn't seem to be a pattern of mode of failures (like there are many in the M96/M97 Porsche engines), and thus you know what to look for (bore scoring in Porsches). I guess you could just check compression and leakdown regularly and that would get you an idea when it's worn out and ready for rebuild.

wthensler likes this.
  8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What is the cost of a rebuild of a 458 engine? (At an independent, not a dealer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boiler Inspector likes this.
  9. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This is a good question that I have wondered as well. In my Google searches, I only found one shop that advertised 458 rebuilds, although I think it was for Challenge engines. I guess I could email them to find out. Also, I'd imagine that an established independent could tell you also even if they haven't done one yet.

10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Rebuild on a challenge engine should be the same cost since they’re the same engine. Can you provide the name of the shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Taurino Racing out of Florida. I emailed them to ask. They have a pretty good little brochure on their website of what they do for the rebuild.

12. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Got a response to my email. Said the range is 25k-50k depending on what the engine needs. That's kinda what I expected.

13. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They also sent me a link to a bunch of photos of their last 458 rebuild. If you want it DM me your email addy.

14. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That makes sense as I was talking with my mechanic at the local dealer and he provided similar numbers (albeit on the high end). We got on the subject because I was asking about when a rebuild should be done on a 458 Challenge.

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Guys should be doing an oil analysis with each oil change. It’ll tell you if your engine has excessive wear. Blackstone has a kit for $40.00 and do3s a comprehensive analysis.

16. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I do. :)

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    We should compare notes at some point. I’m due soon (6 oil changes this year) and will have three data points.

With all the tracking I do, Ive been advised to keep an eye on things and do something before there’s a catastrophic failure. Indy can pull engine and I can haul it to Taurino,

I don’t mind being the beta tester if it comes to that.

18. Boiler Inspector

Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Okay. I'm getting my oil changed currently and it will be the second sample analyzed since I've owned mine. It has 51k miles but not run as hard as yours.

19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Gosh, I hope not, lol......

I have two readings already and will have a third in about a month or so. Takes about two-three weeks for Blackstone results.