458: how much over MSRP? | FerrariChat

458: how much over MSRP?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jir591, Dec 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jir591

jir591 Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    I'm thinking of getting a 458 and seen a few over on Ebay and other dealerships. I paid $25,000 over MSRP when I bought my 2006 430 (1,100 miles) in late 2006. What's the current over sticker market for 458's

2. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
  3. Cool Runnin'

Cool Runnin' Karting

Apr 13, 2008
    FL
    Just wait six months and they'll be 25K under.

4. ufjdmba

ufjdmba Karting

Nov 10, 2010
    from all that I have seen you would be lucky to pay 25k over sticker. There are so few 458s around that most dealers are holding the car until they fetch at least a 10 percent return on their money and these dealers are paying sticker for their 458s. My recommendation would be waiting into the spring for more 458s to hit the market or be prepared to pay a higher premium. Just my 2 cents.

5. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

better yet, wait a year and it will be less....better yet, wait 2 years and it will be LESS....better yet, wait until the new model is announced in 4 years and it will be EVEN LESS!!!!

6. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

now, to answer the question, today you will pay a premium over MSRP unless you have a significant relationship with a dealer. That premium depends on the car and the dealer. Today? $25K or more is probably right.

As time progresses and more get released, you know the drill....

good luck.

7. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    This. Less than 6 months.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Depends on where you live.....

9. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    $0.00 over MSRP. I knew a couple of 458s that sat at dealerships because the buyer's backed out. One sat 4 weeks the other 2 weeks before they were sold. Call your dealer every day if you are a serious buyer.

10. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

If the dealer paid sticker, & wanted 10% profit - wouldn't that number be approximately 25k OVER sticker - the figure OP originally mentioned.... (based on $250,000 sticker?)

So your analogy says to me that 25k over sticker would in fact buy a new 458.....

11. ocr

ocr Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Huntington Beach Cal
    Full Name:
    Glenn Morrow
    It would be hard to find a250,000 car, most end up 265 to300 thousand with some even more. Most are going for between 30 and 50 thousand depending on the color combo.

12. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

so, because of your presumedl factual statement above, you presume $0.00 or you know it for a fact?

13. ufjdmba

ufjdmba Karting

Nov 10, 2010
    From my experience most of the cars have been coming at way over $250K sticker. I also said the dealers will want at least 10%. So since most of the cars are $275K sticker at 15% profit you are well over your 25K.

14. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    That may be. But if you live where there is no Ferrari dealer you can buy from any Ferrari dealer.

Mike

15. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    #15 jeff, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Geez, Joe did you have a tough day today? A little touchy :) But yes, I stand by my factual statement of $0.00. Like someone else said, kind of depends on where you live. Have a nice evening and an even better tomorrow.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    joe's estimate is pretty accurate for the northeast...literally have 2 people in serious discussions in this range....

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  18. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
    #18 PHC1, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    The answer is rather simple... Any dealer out there is out to make money, that is what they do, sell, buy and resell as well as fix cars to make a profit. It is their business model and what they do to stay afloat. Surely they can't be blamed for that. :) Don't we all need to make money one way or another? Obviously cars in highest demand offer the greatest potential for a dealer to make money. The 458 happens to be that car at the moment for Ferrari dealers... Since Ferrari of NA does not condone price gouging and selling outside the dealer's territory on brand new cars, any dealer will logically satisfy the needs and wants of their best customers first, those that have bought and traded cars back in so the dealer can sell the new ones and resell your trade-ins time and time again... Make a bit of money on the new car, make a little more on the trade in... Those customers that like to sell their older cars at retail levels privately and want to get the new car at sticker will get pushed back in line, those that understand how the game works will get ahead of the waiting line. :) It really works, try it and you may find a 458 at sticker is really not a long wait at all. :) The other alternative is to pay a premium right now for a slightly preowned car... Obviously as demand gets less as more cars find their way into customer's garages, it will be easier and faster to get the 458... Premiums are shrinking fast and will probably disappear very, very soon.

19. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    LOL! Good answer.

20. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Really? So $25K off MSRP on a slightly used car by June?

21. f430xtc

f430xtc Karting

Jan 27, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    I believe the 458 will hold it's price awhile. There are less than 3,000 worldwide.

22. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Jeff, I have never had a bad day in my life. I'm living the dream and everyone I love is in it!

Anyhow, my tone resonates from the fact that people have a tendency to post without factual basis and that's of zero help to the OP. I own a 458 and know others who own them, others who ordered them and others who turned one down because of premium. So, your comment of $0 didn't seem to follow with anything to support it. No worries. Just trying to actually help the OP.

23. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  24. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    +1,000,000 to everything Joe said from his first word to his last. Life is good!!! and the 458 still demands a premium in most markets. IMO you will never buy one for under MSRP as a standard course of business. As far as a wait, it will definitely depend on your market, time of year, and dealer allocation.

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus