458 misfire | FerrariChat

458 misfire

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speedsport, Oct 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A few weeks ago, early in a drive i jumped on the throttle and the car felt a little flat and sounded a bit off. I didn't think much of it as it didn't do it again.

I recently had the car parked in my garage for about 3 weeks. Took it out tonight, and it was doing the same thing but much more frequently.

Motor feels a bit flat, sounds like a mild misfire. But i do not get any check engine lights. I can't imagine any ignition related problems not causing a cel. I'm wondering if it's an exhaust valve not opening properly.

Any one have this happen before?

2. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    First, make sure the battery is fully charged and the alternator putting out the required voltage. The electronics can be very sensitive to voltage.

elt360 likes this.
  3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    How old is the fuel?

4. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Battery was on the tender the whole time. Starts fine, idles fine.

Gas tank was 1/2 full, but gas should have been resonably fresh. However, we have gone from humid, high 80F to now in the cool and dry 50s since I drove it last. I suppose it's possible some condensation formed in the tank.

I drove it to work this morning, was still doing the same thing. I stopped and filled the tank up, and it seemed better by the end of the drive. I will know more after I drive it home.

Still no check engine light.

hemyhra likes this.
  5. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Take it to the dealer to check it out. You'll at least get an answer.

6. eric1david

eric1david Rookie

May 26, 2013
    To be brutally honest, I feel like my 458 spider takes a good 20-30 minutes of driving to become fully warmed up, that includes shifting, exhaust sound, etc etc. I make a habit to push the car more gradually throughout that time. Once it's fully warmed up, the car just comes into its own, and I can feel it. Then I find an overpass and just stand on it, with a huge grin while I listen to that sound

7. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, sadly the problem has not gone away yet. Dealer can't get to the car for over 2 weeks. October is my favorite driving time of the c year here in Chicago. Seriously a little bummed.

Still no check engine light. The problem comes and goes.

Anyone know if the computer will store any faults yet not trip a service light? I'd feel more comfortable knowing a little more what the problem could be before the dealer starts digging into it.

8. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have seen that with a Scuderia a couple of years ago. The engine was only running on half the cylinders. A full reset of the computer (disconnect battery) did the trick then.

Hope this helps.

9. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Have you tried reading the codes? My porsche turbo would go into "limp" mode without ever throwing a CEL. It did store the code however.

10. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's what i was wondering. Dealer can't look at it (including plugging in code reader) for a while yet.

The engine is no where near a limp mode. I'd say it's down 10%. Under heavy load i can just feel it cutting in and out.

11. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    You can buy a code reader at any auto store for $30. Good tool to have.

12. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've got one of $200 readers from autozone ive used in my Honda. I figured ferrari would have it's own reader.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think Ferrari has software which is encrypted so one needs their code reader (costs a little more than $30 like all things Ferrari if you can get one). I have a regular code reader and find that it doesn't tell me much.

14. ozcav

ozcav Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    In other non f cars I have had a similar thing happen due to "bad" gas in that the ethanol content was way too high so the ecu goes into a quasi limp mode to deal with the bad fuel. Could be as simple as using up what is in the tank and refilling it.

15. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    Here in France a friend had the same problem, problem was a defect spark plug

Baitschev likes this.
  16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Correct that Ferrari has their own but a generic one will give you any emission-relevant "P" codes (Powertrain), and it sounds like your problem would kick such a fault code

17. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm under the impression that any emissions related fault would immediately trip the engine light which hasn't happened yet in 50 miles.

18. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the reply. I wondered about that, but i figured If a plug was bad or fouled, that cylinder would be running rich and cause the o2 sensor on that bank to trip the engine light. It seems like it had to be something that is having no effect on the mixture.

19. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Don't expect the CEL for all issues. I recently had a bad tuning flap which is emission related and it through a code but no CEL or other indicator even though the code book suggested it should through the CEL..

20. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Not all bad codes result in a CEL but i recently had a misfire issue in my 2005 430 Spider and it absolutely threw a code and set off CEL. Turned out mine was due to a bad and old intake manifold gasket on cylinder 3. My iphone OBD2 scanner told me it was a cylinder 3 misfire as did Ferrari dealer computer. I doubt you have a misfire or anything major. Id take it to dealer to get a clear head. I cant understand how it takes so long to get in. My dealer comes and gets my car immediately if I have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    no engine light

22. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If the condition is transient and you can't/don't hold it for very long (probably minutes), I doubt the CEL algorithms with trip. That's where a dyno comes in handy.

23. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Just an update -

I emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas in - no change.

Finally got an appointment with the local dealer. Took it in today and took the Ferrari tech for a ride. He agreed there is an issue.

He's not sure what it is - he mentioned there were some injector issues with some early years. He says Ferrari will probably have to be involved, which can be a slow process.

I'm waiting for a call back after he plugs into and looks for codes. Still no engine light.

I'm hoping it's a spark plug, but even then he will have to go the direction Ferrari tells him - which might take over a week. Bummer - best driving time of the year in Chicago and I was looking forward to it all season. :(

24. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well I guess I have the Ferrari techs a bit puzzled. Dealer has had the car for a week now, and has been working back and forth with Ferrari directly trying to identify the cause. There was one old stored misfire code, but once cleared will not come back and does not seem to have a direct relation to the problem.

So far no one has a clue as to the problem. Second dealer tech took the car for a drive and agreed something is not quite right, although he was shocked I could even tell. It took him a while to notice the problem.

So much for it being an easy fix....

25. speedsport

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, more weeks have passed and still no fix.

Dealer has submitted exhaust gas results to ferrari. Ferrari responded and asked the dealer to update the engine software. Having a 2011, i said no as i don't want to loose the overrun pops that the older cars had. Ferrari won't do anymore diagnostics until the software is updated.

I'm not happy. Something failed, and they think they can fix it with a software update. They are going to update, then still have to fix the problem. Not cool.

I asked for information on how a software update is going to fix the problem, and i get no information other then it's the next step that had to be done. Very frustrating.

Llenroc likes this.