458 - 458 OEM Exhaust removal Help! How do you break the welds that hold the exhaust clamps together? | FerrariChat

458 458 OEM Exhaust removal Help! How do you break the welds that hold the exhaust clamps together?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I am removing my OEM exhaust and putting in an S Line. Everything is going “okay” but all of the OEM exhaust clamps that hold the exhaust to the cats etc have spot welds from the factory on the clamps so you can’t even loosen them! How do I break these welds? It seems impossible to be able to remove the OEM exhaust without breaking these welds?

Been going at this for about 13 hours now and I’m about to cut the damn exhaust off with a sawzall.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Post a pic of what you are seeing. The spot welds are to the collar, not holding the exhaust to the cats. Penetrating oil and a socket wrench to remove the bolts should be all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
  4. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Spot welds are there, you are right. Yo need to cut them with a grinder.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando FerrariChat

5. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Loosen all the rubber hangers and clamps.

Remove the center piece, only the left side if my memory is correct twists as the right side has a small fastening guide, and then twist the cans off from the cat pipes after as the are now each independent and twist freely.

It’s not that hard but you must take the center pipe off and you need to twist and shift everything hence loosing the hangers.

A rubber mallet is your friend too if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I tried all the above but everything was so tight and impossible to move, after many hours of frustration I ended up cutting out the exhaust with a sawzall and throwing it in the trash, haha.

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.