458 or SLS amg? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 or SLS amg?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by nickF50, Oct 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    This thread should of have been closed by the time it was posted.

2. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #77 Testacojones, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    I rather have someone built me a reproduction of the old Gullwing.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
  4. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    thanks for the nice visual:)

5. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    458 or SLS AMG is really the wrong comparison.

I drove the SLS at Laguna Seca recently. It is very impressive not for its gullwing doors (although they work well and look cool), but for its combination of luxurious comfort (B&O audio, excellent Mercedes nav, beautiful interior, convenient trunk space, etc.) and incredible performance. It has a very neutral balance, turning into corners (like #2 and #11) without the understeer that most manufacturers seem to build in to their US spec cars. It also grips well, accelerates with stunning force, and sounds great. The brakes are definitely up to the task. With a dual clutch Getrag transmission, the SLS is also very smooth . But, ultimately, despite its relatively light weight (about 3,600 lbs), it is a powerful GT, not a sports car.

So, the question should be 599 or SLS. If you include price in your comparison, I think you have to give the nod to the SLS. If price doesn't matter, the 599 probably wins (with its better looks, scarcity, 12 cylinder Enzo-derived engine, and fantastic interior etc.).

Bottom line, if you want a pure sports car, get the 458. If you want a daily driver GT with a modern transmission, sexy doors, and a great audio/nav at a (relatively) reasonable price, get the SLS. And, if you want a timeless 12 cylinder GT beauty, buy a 599.

6. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #81 Brav, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    Thanks for the report, Blockbuster. It was as I expected.. MB is capable of building a well-performing car, as I had discovered in the CLK BS. But their general market doesnt command it, a la E63 and other AMG cars. It certainly is a GT and not a sports car. But then again, most people think the Porsche Turbo is a sports car, and it has less power and similar weight.

7. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Being an MB...I wonder what reliability will be like.

I don't have happy memories of recent MBs...

8. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would say above average in general. That engine is pretty bullet proof, and they kept the gizmos to a minimum. MB goes crazy with all sorts of gadgetry that lowers the reliability factor. This car is much more simple than most MBs. The unknown would be their new transmission, if it is a new unit from Getrag not found in other cars. Id say it would be on par for any entirely new vehicle, will have some teething issues to deal with no doubt.

9. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The SLS got a rave review in this months Car Magazine. It went up against the 997 Turbo and GTR and it came out on top. They said it was "the ultimate all-rounder" or something along those lines. The 458 would get my money but I would take the SLS over a DBS or CGT Speed any day.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #85 of2worlds, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's a lovely bridge. ;)

12. Rong

Rong Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I had the opportunity to participate in two forums on this car held approximately one year apart. I sat in the car and then gave my opinions about design, comfort, materials, colors etc. I also viewed the cabriolet version which is also coming. They had all the competitive makes there to view and compare too. The 599, Porsche Turbo, DB9 etc.

Here is what I told them:

I hated the car. When you sit in the car you feel as though you are in a "chopped" hot rod. The side windows and dash are too small (low). It was a totally claustraphobic experience. I am only 5'9" and my head was on the roof (yes the seat was adjusted down). Getting in and out was a "bear" because of the wide sill and I am in good shape and not overweight. The dash layout is nothing special, really plain. I personally can't believe they produced this car. Other people in the forum felt the same way.

458 sight unseen

13. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    When I was at Laguna Seca last week driving the SLS, there were dozens of drivers of all different sizes. Only those over about 6' 4" had trouble in terms of head room, and we all had helmets on. Perhaps AMG responded to the feedback from your forum and the final car's headroom is improved relative to the car you sat in.

Individuals, of course, will always differ when it comes to opinions on automotive design. But, with regard to the general appeal of the SLS design, it should be noted that a quarter million voters in Europe seem to like it because it recently won the Golden Sterring wheel award. Here's the press release:

".. More than a quarter of a million readers took part, and voted the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG the world’s best super sports car by a wide margin. Accordingly “Bild am Sonntag”, “Auto Bild” and 25 associated European publications awarded the new Gullwing model the “Golden Steering Wheel” – one of the most important automotive awards in Europe. This coveted award was officially presented to Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of Daimler AG and CEO of Mercedes-Benz Cars, in Berlin yesterday evening.

Eleven super sports cars competed in the large-scale reader’s vote for the “Golden Steering Wheel” award, which “Bild am Sonntag” and the motoring magazine “Auto Bild” organised on a Europe-wide basis for the first time this year. Almost one third of all votes were cast in favour of the new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, which therefore headed the readers’ popularity list in the super sports car category by a wide margin over the runner-up..."

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #89 of2worlds, Nov 28, 2009
  15. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's about it's only good angle.

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #91 of2worlds, Nov 29, 2009
  17. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Don't know why everyone thinks those doors are cool. They have no grace about them.

18. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    +1

Classic Mark. :D

19. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    +1

20. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    Westport, CT
    Full Name:
    Jonathan F
    I had the opportunity to drive an SLS on roads in Napa Valley last month over the course of approximately two hours. I was able to take the car on some very challenging and fast mountain roads.

The car is awesome. Simply awesome. I have driven the SLR extensively, and I'm here to tell you that the SLS is twice the car at half the price. It is an extremely engaging, fun car to drive. It drives like a true sports car, with relatively neutral handling. Shocking that it's a front engined car. Although I suppose the engine is set back within the long nose, so it's almost like a mid-engined car...

I own a F430 Scuderia and recently sold a 599. The Scud is obviously a better track car than the SLS, but the SLS is shockingly good.

Opinions obviously are mixed on the styling. Personally, I think it looks good, and that the doors are very cool. The interior is disappointingly undistinguished, featuring what seems to be standard Mercedes buttons and materials.

Bottom line: I ordered one the day after I drove it.

I also have a 458 on order, and I hope it will be better. If it is, it will be an awesome car. Because the SLS is damn good.

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  22. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    Wonderfull :)

When is delivery for the SLS?

23. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe you but I doubt that it will be a substitute for the go-kart feel a mid engine car gives you. There's too much hood between you and the corner. I like the feel of having my feet between the front wheels. But you've got me thinking... :)

24. Cartist

Cartist Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2006
    Grapevine, TX
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Saw the Jay Leno video... that car's exhaust note sounds horrible. Like a long-loud farting sound.

25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I like the fart sound.