458 Rubbers squeak and make noise | FerrariChat

458 Rubbers squeak and make noise

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TheDiffuser, Jun 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Noticed the door rubbers in the 458 Spider making a rubbing/squeezing sound while driving today.

It's a low mileage car and when the PPI came through it mentioned some 'whitening' of the drivers door rubber (from mirror area up to top of door).

The rubber seals don't always make sounds and I'm wondering if it's due to cold garage storage/winter time here.

Does anyone have any input on this please?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Try a little aerospace 303 or 3m silicone lubricant

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ok have you tried silicone and dies it leave any liquid residue? Any idea why the rubber would've turned chalky/white?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Use the 3m "dry" type if concerned with residue .. I use wet type on some of cars for added protection

I am assuming if the white residue is not wax.. which I believe based on your write up it isn't .. I would assume it is a type of mildew ..maybe car was in a high humidity area / stored

3M 08897 Silicone Lubricant (Dry Type) - 8.5 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PJED72/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_Z3LjBbZWDMBXB

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  6. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Petroleum jelly. Wipe it on, remove the excess. Leaves a nice finish, lasts a long time, keeps the rubber nice and supple. A German brand turned me on to this as part of a normal maintenance routine years ago.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I was under the impression that petroleum jelly eats rubber products .. that ilwhay I always knew ..

8. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    >>petroleum jelly eats rubber products

Natural (from the tree) rubber yes. Modern compounds like what's used in door seals, no.

9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Try ACDelco (made by GM)-Dielectric Silicone Grease (10-4064)- Honda makes a similiar product (Name ?). This was very effective getting rid of the squeak on Corvette tops until the factory fix came in. Stuff not cheap!

10. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Thanks for all the replies.

In regards to mildew - no not that, no high humidity areas of storage etc.

The white chalky discoloration is only on certain parts of the door rubber and those areas 'feel' slightly less rubbery to touch. If that makes sense. More dry and paper like than rubber like.

11. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    This thread is hot! :oops:

Hahahahaha.... ;)

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Is it cured now Rob … How did you do it ?

13. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Haven't tried it yet but will post once I've dive it. Car is in storage atm.

14. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    I would caution you in very STRONG terms to avoid using ANY of the products recommended above-excepting the Factory Ferrari authorized compounds.
    Here is why: IF your car was bought at a Franchised dealer: any warranty you might have had in this area will immediately be nullified.
    Most of the compounds cause mild "rotting" and swelling" of the base rubber's compounds in order to obtain a "tighter seal." In most cases, its just messy....

A number of years ago, these sorts of "wind noises" and other assorted glass centric squeaks etc., were a chronic problem in the S, SL CL class(expensive top tier models). The manufacturer expressly forbade the use of the above aforementioned compounds: cause for being sent home for the week....(if done after Dlr. been notified of the "FIX").

While this is NO guarantee that it will fix YOUR complaints, it would warrant a try: as it will NOT cause base rubber degradation of ANY kind--Gently rub(after cleaning and DRYING thoroughly the rubber seal in question, soap and water only)into the seal: baby powder.
    DON'T over do it. Multiple applications far better than a single "cloud" application.

It sounds silly, but it cured-albeit not permanently-for approximately 60-75% of all initial complaints.
    Ultimately, the seals were replaced with an "updated" version.
    This is NOT likely to ever happen with Ferrari, as the production levels are just too low to warrant such a design revision.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for your concern … I also heard of talcum powder / babypowder helping a lot here :D

16. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ditto on that - I'll look at the powder before liquid options.