458 spring cost | FerrariChat

458 spring cost

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Petert929, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petert929

Petert929 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Peter T
    Does anyone know how much it would cost for new springs on a 458 done by Ferrari?

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Just call your local dealer, ask for the parts dept.

I believe they run $700 -$800

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    For the springs alone, you can just go on Ricambi or Eurospares and see the prices. As for what your dealer will cob you? Call and ask.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Petert929

Petert929 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Peter T
  5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here’s a thought. If you order one front and one rear spring, and send them to a titanium spring shop, you can get a nice pair of light custom springs. Titanium is a pretty good solution for suspension. Race cars and commercial airplanes use them routinely.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Good call! they are super cheap for the FF they were 70gpb each at eurospares...NEW. Never put them back on as I kept the novitec springs on.
    What’s more costly is the labor in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Will 458 Challenge springs work on the regular 458?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. They use a different strut assembly. Also they are way too stiff for the damping rate. The car will be very nervous and skittish. There's only one thing worse than an undersprung car, and that's an overspring car. As far as stiffer aftermarket springs go, you can use H&R or Novitec.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    My question is why? Have the original springs failed? That is extremely rare.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I've done some work with a UK based company a few years ago looking into titanium springs, and while it might initially seem like a great idea, it's far from without its challenges.

Weight wise there is not as much to gain as one might think. While titanium is lighter, it is far from as light as aluminium for instance. It does not take much more material to make things "equal". Why does that matter? Well, in order for a titanium spring to not only have the same rate but also be strong enough from a durability standpoint, the bar stock needs to be thicker. This thickness offsets a lot of what weight you might have saved. Will a titanium spring be lighter? Yes, but probably not in a way that will be noticeable. A few kg for all four springs combined at most.
    On top of that, titanium can be a tricky material to use for a spring on a street car. Steel bends and gets soft over time, titanium breaks. Not saying it HAS to be a big problem, but it is worth taking into consideration - just like it has if one uses titanium for valve spring retainers and connecting rods.

After spending some time investigating the idea, I abandoned it as it was not worth it. I know the SF90 in the AF version use them, but I will also be dead straight and say that I see it as a gimmick. It is not those springs alone that is the reason for that 30 kg weight saving, if 30 kg is even true, and they don't really present any other advantage from a performance standpoint. Capacity and rate is what it is, so not much else is to be said about that. It has a cool factor and I'm not opposed to it, I just think it's important to remember that it is worth being realistic about what the advantages are in the real world. Like a titanium valve spring retainer wears, I have also seen titanium suspension springs wear where they contact the perches. So all in all, while it might be cool to have titanium springs made, I really don't see a reason to bother with it. If you save what, 3-4 kg total, I don't see the point because that will never be noticeable. This is definitely an area where Ferrari uses a lot of marketing and buzz words, that's just how this world works.

Just to get an idea of what we are talking about, remove a steel bolt from your wheel and see what it weighs. A Hill Ti bolt is about 71 grams. A steel bolt is not that much more. And mind you, those retain the same dimensions where a titanium spring gets thicker thus the difference is less.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for your detailed thoughts (insight due to research)

I've heard much of what you've identified as the argument against making the change.

Since Ferrari has always approached their road cars from a weight savings priority, I believe, they do a very good job at arriving at the best all around solution.

The other suspension part where I was musing about weight optimization is the hub assembly.

A lighter and yet still reliable material could shave many Kg at each corner. I believe that Konnisseig (spelling ?) had done some pretty cool work at creating some ti hub perhaps with 3D metal printing. I'd love to get your insights