458 to F12/812 | FerrariChat

458 to F12/812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by speedsport, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Having been a 458 owner for almost 5 years now, I'm starting to appreciate the front engine 12s more then I used to. For those who have had both, what difference would my driving experience be going from a 458 to an F12/812?

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Well the F12/812 is very different. You didn't mention if it was a 458 spider. so I will assume a hardtop. The F12 is going to feel much bigger, as it is a GT car. I do not find my F12 big, but compared to rear engine, it is like going from a go-cart to a very large car. I do miss the open air spider, as my last several cars have been open air.

But there is nothing like the big 12's. This is my 3rd 12 cylinder F-car. The F12 is fantastic (as is the 812) plenty of threads comparing both the F12/812. The speed and pure raw power is such a different level than the 458. The speed is more, the sound is more, the room and amenities/comfort is more as well. It is not as tossable as the rear engines, but still can have fun.

I am going to add back a 458 Spider or maybe a cali or portifino to my garage with the F12. The F12 is great, probably the best F-car I have ever had, but I also want something tamer, and easier to get around in, so having both is almost perfect.

I will also say the F12 (and from my limited drive in an 812), the F12 is much more involved in driving. I never once felt in any of my rear-engine exotics that feeling of near the limit (of course you can get there if you try - but in general spirited driving sense). The F12 is a whole different beast. It has sooo much more power (specifically compared to the 458). It is one that you can just be tooling along, quiet and comfortable. You can nail the right long pedal - and be sideways in a second. It is a car you have to watch yourself.. It is a dual personality car, and I think much more dangerous (and fun) because of it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree, and I will add my take. The 458 is a great car for a blast around some tight roads, but it is less suited to long distance touring. It wants to go go go go go. Like a wild teenager. The F12 is more mature. Its more like a hitman in a beautiful suit. It will respect your space so long as you don't provoke it. It's a car you can drive comfortably for hours, yet you always know its a Ferrari. And if you give it a poke, it will definitely dance with you. The 812 gets closer to the mid engine experience than any of the other front engined cars I've driven (which sadly excludes the F12tdf). I loved my F12 but the 812 won me over with the very first drive, it is just so much FUN. I still have my 458, it is the most fun car I have ever driven. You can't go wrong with any of these, but, don't drive an 812 and think you will go for the F12. Looks are a different story, and I like the 812's looks, I think it looks great, but there is no debate that the F12 is gorgeous.

R J, WestCoasta, 3POINT8 and 2 others like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you want to do this switch, I would say the 812 is definitely the car of choice. While the F12 is good, the 812 is just on a different level.
    Have your dealer set up a back to back test in both and see for yourself.
    What I think the 812 can offer, is a better bridging of the gap between the 458 and the GT, and while it will retain the comfort and GT feel of the F12, it will also provide more of the sporty feel the 458 had.
    While the 812 is actually more comfortable and rides better than the F12, it is also sharper, faster and has a feel that is a lot more solid and planted.
    The F12 is by no means a bad car, that's not what I'm trying to say. But I was truly astounded by how much the 812 had evolved. Gear shifts, suspension, throttle response, grip, steering feel etc. It's just done better overall.

As I said, I think it bridges the gap between the 458 and a GT better than an F12, but it's not because I think they are the same. They are not - far from it. But with the 812 you will have to give up less of the sporty abilities of the 458, but you will still have the full sport GT experience.

Part from the Pista perhaps, I think the 812 is the best "normal" production car Ferrari has created to date. No Ferrari has left me grinning and wanting more as much as the 812 did.

Does the 812 cost more? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely, in my humble opinion.

R J, Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  5. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    "Its more like a hitman in a beautiful suit." Quote of the day!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the replies. I guess that's kind of what I was figuring. Hard to go wrong with any modern Ferrari I suppose. The size is an interesting point I hadn't considered before.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't think too much about the size. because the difference is not that big. An 812 is 3.4 cm wider and 13 cm longer than a 458. Add to that the greenhouse in the 812 is a bit more airy and easier to see out of. And while you have a very long bonnet, the front wheel humps are placed in a way so that you can see those, which in turn makes it super easy to see where your front tyres are exactly. I think this is a very cool detail that adds to the fun drivability of the 812. It's not an open wheel formula car, but it has that funny driving sensation you get when you can precisely tell where you place the wheel in a corner just by looking at it.

And don't forget that while the wheelbase of an 812 is 7 cm longer than that of a 458, it is capable of similar turn-ins due to the RWS.

As Caeruleus11 said, don't think you will choose an F12 once you driven an 812 ;)

R J likes this.