488 alternator question | FerrariChat

488 alternator question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 020147, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Hey all,
    I have a question about my 488’s charging system. Does Ferrari use some type of regulated voltage control in their charging systems? I noticed tonight cruising on the freeway that my voltage was only reading 11.8 volts under slight acceleration, going up over 13 while decelerating and back down again while accelerating. I know that RVC charging systems are common in both sports cars seeking to reduce parasitic power loss and economy cars looking for the best MPG. The driving conditions were around 70MPH, A/C on (85 or so ambient temp) headlights were on auto. Does this sound normal, or something I should get checked out?

I’ve read plenty of OEM battery horror stories on this board about OEM Ferrari batteries. My battery is a brand new Braille AGM installed last night and was fully charged prior to installation. The car lives on a Ctek 7002 (AGM mode selected) at all times when not in use. The OEM battery that came out was at 12.9 volts upon removal. The date codes on the OEM battery were not punched out so I’m unsure of it’s age, it passed my analyzer when tested. I’ve never had a dash light indicating any charging faults (knock on wood). I’ve found myself surprised at how much the Ctek is claiming my battery is depleted after a drive, but the 7002 seems to use a multi step process to tend a battery, so I’m not sure what to make of it. After the next drive I plan on removing the battery panel and measuring voltage prior to going back on the tender. Any advice for this recent first tine owner is much appreciated! Thanks all!

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Normal condition and yes, designed to reduce parasitic losses. Also, it's wise to keep it on a charger and carry a portable jump starter in the event of dead battery. Many, including myself, have had OEM battery failures.

020147 likes this.