488 GTB or 488 Pista? | FerrariChat

488 GTB or 488 Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Feb 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For 488 GTB owners, recognizing that the Pista is a hardcore, track worthy road car, if offered an allocation, will you move ahead or do you prefer the GTB? I love the new Pista but I also love everything about my GTB for very different reasons (such as the optimal leather all throughout my car, for example). Would also love thoughts from those who owned a 458 Italia and moved to a Speciale. How would you compare the cars, the ownership experience, and do you have any regrets? Just for clarity, I'm not referring to depreciation, etc. This is strictly about the pure joy of ownership.

2. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I would get a 488 Pista in a heartbeat if given the oppurtunity but was told NO very clearly by my dealer. I will enjoy the heck out of my 488 GTB which is more than enough car for me...

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Respect to the Pista, but for a road car, prefer the GTB. Moved away from my GT3 for this reason. Of course, I haven’t experienced the Pista. Might feel differently if I did.

Zinger likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I plan to switch my GTB for a Pista (for which I got an allocation, although without a firm order for the time being).
    Which may sound strange because so far I always ended up thinking that the next generation car was better value than the hardcore version:
    to me an F430 is a better car than a Challenge Stradale, a 458 Italia is better than a 430 Scuderia, and a 488 GTB is better than a 458 Speciale.
    In the same logic the 488 successor will be better than the 488 Pista (and most certainly better value for money).
    I prefer the philosophy of a hardcore car but so far I have elected to take the benefits of the most up-to-date technologies.
    The thing is, each new generation adds new technology, and while some preferred to stop at the 458 technology (mostly because they hate turbochargers, as I understand it), maybe for me the 488 is where I stop - no engine downsizing, no hybrid - even though my guess is that the 488 successor will offer better performance than the 488 Pista at a lower price point.
    Maybe I'm getting older and beginning to decide not to keep pace with the technology :)

Viperjoe, ca_scud, uhn2000 and 2 others like this.
  5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I am one of those people lumped into the "no turbochargers" category however I am intrigued with the pista

iloveferrari and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I’ll wait out the Pista until there is an Spider version as I still enjoy my 488 spider on the street not track. Spider sounds better than the GTB from the inside. Hopefully the Pista A will not be limited.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Cracking the windows in the coupes has the same effect and you get to drive the better car too.

8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The better car for the track and 10/10ths driving the GTB is certainly better than the spider but for us mere mortals who only drive on the street on a sunny day? Give me a well sorted open car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    for me easy decision:D

I keep my 488 Spider for road fun and 488 Pista for truck fun, 4-5 times in a year, together with my 991.2 GT3

p.s. I drove 720S two weeks ago.......nice and perfect car, may be too much perfect in my opinion. Sound not so good, it was no equipped with sport exhaust, and more turbo leg compare to 488. This is what I understood in one hour test. May be a couple of year later I will think to add a used one but only with sport exhaust!!:p

ca_scud and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If I can get an allocation for a Pista I’ll happily trade in my 488 gtb. However I don’t think I’m a big enough baller to get one and frankly I’m fine with it.

Yesterday it was the 720 everyone was drooling over. Today it’s the Pista. Tomororw people will clamor for the .2 Gt3 RS. Next year it will be the Ferrari 488 replacement.

There are no shortage of amazing cars out there and there won’t be anytime soon.

The Pista looks like a beast and anyone lucky enough to get one will surely enjoy it. Me- Ive asked once. I’ll ask a second time. But not gonna beg or get upset if i can’t get one. There will always be another latest and greatest must have hard to get car out there.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The PISTA for me is too busy at the front . The back is great even better than the 488 I have ordered. But I believe with Ferraris history the new 488 in 2020 will be even better than the PISTA but with all the good looking luxuries i.e leather. But if you are the lucky few that get one. God Speed and congratulations.

Viperjoe and Shadowfax like this.
  12. Giallo77

Giallo77 Karting

Feb 24, 2005
    Switzerland
    If you drive 80% on street and 20% on track and take the 488 for vacation sometimes - the GTB would probably be the better choice! That's the case for me (and I have owned a Challenge Stradale before the 488!). I have spent a two week vacation with my wife last year in Italy with the GTB - the luggage room was very restricted obviously but my wife is flexible... no chance with the even further restricted boot in the Pista... this car ist a pure track tool; you take the helmet and drive to the track - forget the rest!

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think you are on the money here. GTB will prove more comfortable, versatile and faster on country rds than Pista yet will still garner equal attention. The next car will likely best both anyway. Has it ever been any different?

Pista will be quick on track but won't be cheap to run. Much like a 2rs.

Master Deep and Viperjoe like this.
  14. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    not from driver perspective but ... Pista is much better investment that 488 GTB witch lose value quick

Viperjoe likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I do not believe the 488GTB is a "better" car than the Speciale. Their performance for all intents and purposes is identical. The Speciale is a much sharper tool (throttle response, steering), sounds better, looks better (IMO of course), and will hold its value better.
    It is not a given that the 488 replacement will be "better" than a Pista. Especially as we are getting into the law of diminishing returns. Very difficult to substantially improve on a 0-62 time of ~2.8sec, top speed over 211.
    If it has a smaller engine, electric assist, quieter, more European nanny controls...people may prefer to stay with the "older" Turbo ICE.
    During the unveiling video there was a very strong message being repeated...how Ferrari builds driver's cars filled with emotion. They repeatedly stressed that point. I think they are all beginning to see the writing on the wall: big fun-difference 0-62 times between 3 sec and 5 sec, not so much between 2.4 and 2.8.

uhn2000 likes this.
  16. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #16 Napoli, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Looking into the not too distant future, I think the 488’s praise and value will rise if/when it becomes the last non-electric/non-hybrid sports car Ferrari made. And, “turbo” will no longer be a curse word amongst the Ferrarista.

PA Wolfpacker, Zinger and Viperjoe like this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nah...

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Every new Ferrari is better than it’s predecessor.

Doesn’t mean people like the car more but the newer generation cars are better.

Viperjoe and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It's a tough one. I was invited to the dealer reveal event last week and my dealer has indicated that I will have an allocation towards the end of production (which is what I would prefer). For me, it isn't about the Pista being track worthy. I would never track it (I don't track my 488 GTB). It comes down to looks. The 488 GTB is already a very aggressive looking car and I love it. I'm still trying to decide if the Pista goes too far for me. I guess I'll know when I actually have the opportunity to see one in person.

uhn2000, Shadowfax and Viperjoe like this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    There's that pesky word again..."better."

No..for me at least...the 488GTB is NOT better than the 458 Speciale. A great many people would agree with me.

Nel1 and Dave rocks like this.
  21. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The GTB is probably the more rounded better day to day, perhaps overall but I am sure when you want to dissect a mountain road of go around a track the Pista will give thrills the GTB cannot. Whether that makes it a better car is akin to debating whether Red is a better colour than Blue.

Viperjoe likes this.
  22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

"Man, if it only had side air intakes" - Me when looking at the 458 Italia or Speciale.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :D

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I know its subjective but the 488 is a better car when you look at it in terms of speed, handling, technology. Doesn't mean that people want it more.

Shadowfax and Napoli like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia