488 - 488 Pista Picture Thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by -CD-, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because the F40 was the hypercar of that era, the Pista is not. Also the Senna is not a competitor, it's a more extreme and expensive track car.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Andrew Frankl agreeds with him when he drove the 458 Speciale. Too harsh and noisy, it attracted the Italian police. He thought the Italia was a much more pleasant experience for street use. His advice was leave the Speciale for the track where the thrills can be had safely and take the Italia to the opera.
    If we are to believe that the spirit of Speciale experience lives on in the Pista then the 488 spider will be a much more pleasing 'driver' than the Pista.
    Didn't someone note all England is the 'bumpy road' setting... :)

3. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    Grazie mille Caeruleus!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Mclaren, the 570s and 720s is better than the 488, it just is. I can fully say this because I had a 488 and I have a 570s and my best friend has a 720s. The Performante is also a no brainer of a choice over the 488.

BTW I am was a die hard Ferrari fan. When I bought my 458 I thought it couldn't get better. The 488 was even better for me and I was thrilled to be able to buy that car. Then it caught on fire. Then the brakes failed.....2 times onces almost killing me.

My 488 was littered with problems which made me step away from the brand. Ill be back when they get their **** together.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Understand you had a bad experience with your 488 and I'm sorry to hear about that however, I've driven both 488 and 570 on circuit and it was like comparing chalk and cheese and, I had no bias owning neither at the time. Simply put, the 488 was a lot better - everywhere....much superior in all respects. In fact I'm yet to drive any mac that comes close to delivering the driving experience of the 488. When you say the 570 and 720s is better, exactly what is it that you feel is better, putting aside the obvious that the 720 accelerates harder?

LVP488, stavura, Shack and 1 other person like this.
  6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Hey, if McLaren makes the better product, they will win. And I love McLaren but they don't seem to be winning ****. (Sales numbers, on the race track, at the 'ring, design/engineering awards, profitability, etc.)

-F

Ash Patel likes this.
  7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #157 Lukeylikey, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    That’s journo waffle really. The 458 is less in-your-face but the Speciale is a brilliant drive in England. If you want plush, why even bother with the 458, take a Range.

And as for ‘save the Speciale for the track’ these cars are not challenge cars with plates on. They are much closer to the road equivalent than they are to the challenge car. At a guess the Speciale is about 30% of the way towards a challenge. Enough to make it better on track and more fun on the road, if you don’t mind a little more noise.

8. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Ferrari has changed the air delivery to the engine. The engine no longer receives air from the side but from behind around the rear spoiler.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    winning? nothing to win here :D both ferrari and mac will build and sell cars, ferrari have much more fans and loyal customers, ferari limited cars are great investment but unlimited cars like 488 will lose value like other cars

10. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Couldn't agree more. Took my Speciale around the UK, up the West coast, up into the Highlands and back down the East coast. And also did an Italian road trip in her. Both glorious drives.

11. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1

I did Tributo Mille Miglia last year with my Speciale, alone, without Co-Driver. 16 hours Driving per day, only italian roads, 1600 Km no highways. Always in CST off Mode.
    The Car is brilliant in every situation. If you want a fluffy puffy ride its not for you.

12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Wow! What an experience! Can’t even imagine.

13. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    IMO the 570s is better looking. Better infotainment by easily 100x. I like the driving position better, feels more focused. The brake feel is way better. They are very similar in speed. You can find videos of 488 beating 570s and vice versa. Seat of the pants once the turbos come on the 570s feels quicker to me. It does have more lag than the 488 from go. They boast similar times in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. We have a 489 turn 33 mile road we frequent here in the mountains, I can only say so far the 570s doesn't feel slower there either. Car and Driver has track times for these 2 car's and the 570s is 2 seconds slower around VIR....over a almost a 3 minute lap. You could make that up with tires or a different driver or condition differences that may or may not have been there. You are talking about 2 cars that are a lot closer than a biased Ferrari fan might want to admit. We can start talking about that the 570s is what 100k cheaper than the typical 488. As for the 720s, it leaves a 488 for dead in a straight line and I think once we start seeing more track times the 720s will do so on track as well. I would suggest 488 is a better looking car than the 720s, but comfort, infotainment, wow factor of that car and so on.... you can't just brush that car off. 720s has the second fastest car to lap Willow Springs, its over 5 seconds faster than a 488 there over just a roughly 1:30 course. In fact its faster on every course here:
    http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/52b5sivukld7

Drag Race here:

What exact bias do you believe I would have in making my statement? If anything I would have put my bias WITH Ferrari. I loved my 488 when it wasn't on fire or nearly killing me from the brakes failing. I had my 488 for 9-10 months and put just shy of 7,000 miles on it in that time and my Ferrari spent more than 2 months in the shop during that time, in fact it was closer to 3 months. I had zero confidence that car wasn't going to fail again, zero. It was a turd. Maybe I was unlucky.

I am frankly glad to see someone beating Ferrari, IMO they are cocky and complacent. As a customer they treated me like **** with my car issues. 330k car, you'd think I had bought a item from the dollar menu and was complaining it wasn't good. Mclaren so far has treated me awesome in fact the day I took delivery of my 570s there as a warning light on the dash, the next morning a Mclaren tech was in my parking lot going over the car to make sure it was fine. They flew him in, my closest dealer is 4hrs away. This is steep contrast to how Ferrari deals with issues.

Let me be crystal clear in closing. I love the Ferrari brand, it makes me tingle. I wanted to be in a Ferrari forever. My dream was never a Mclaren or any other brand. It was Ferrari. Id come back for a clearly better car and if the 488 was a clearly better car I would have never left. You can pretend all you like that Mclaren isn't a firm competitor but you are simply wrong. I will see what Ferrari does with the 488's replacement and I will likely give it another try then. But right here right now. I have a car that is around 100k cheaper and in every way I can measure is very close or better.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Have you posted about the brake issues ? There is a thread regarding the reported 458 break issues. I don't recall hearing about as many 488 issues ...?

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I respect your thoughts and I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. I certainly can be accused of being an unabashed Ferrari aficionado but that doesn't mean I think there aren't plenty of areas for improvement. I don't love everything they do. It also depends a lot on what your priorities are. For me, the laser thin capabilities and performance margins between all the cars in this class have little to do with where my passions lie. While I understand how many are completely focused on track times, HP, torque, etc., I basically assume all these characteristics are inherent in each car (some slightly more than others). To me, Ferrari is special. Owning one puts you in a camp who's legacy is long and storied. Ferrari has current issues (they always have), which is fair to point out. But, their company is solid, their product line is spectacular and their management is extremely capable and sound. Put it this way, If you were able to buy the New York Yankees or the Florida Marlins which would you choose. For that matter, Manchester United or DC United?, Packers or Jaguars?, Celtics or Thunder?, Red Wings or Coyotes?

Afonsolaw likes this.
  17. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Medium Rare Porterhouse For Two or Chicken McNuggets

JagShergill and Afonsolaw like this.
  18. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #168 redcaruser, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Clean??? I see it definitely different; cheap looking elements like the two ridiculous little wings in front of the rear wheels, the two pointless air ducts in the corners of the front and the silver flaps in the middle of the front spoiler were never real highlights, tuning as from the backyard workshop. The Pista reflects a completely different league in this regard.

19. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Some of the details are a little 'Mansory'.

ingegnere likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Can we therefore assume, based upon your dissatisfaction with Ferrari and your respect for McLaren, that you will no longer populate these threads on FerrariChat and instead spend all of your time on McLarenChat...where you belong?

Nothing more annoying than someone with an axe to grind coming on to an enthusiasts' website chat room to claim to be a fan of the marque but then spend your time trying to convince everyone else that the other marque is superior in almost all areas.

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Lets get back to 488 Pista pics!

randkin, pshep138, babgh and 3 others like this.
  22. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry to hear your experience.

That is interesting, I just unloaded my 570S yesterday. Since picking up 488 in October I had not touched the 570S as I just don't even want to drive it, it is just not that exciting. Essentially becoming a die cast just sitting. My business partner has 720S and bunch of other cars, he mentioned it is fastest car he got but also one he least enjoyed of all his cars.

My true honest take is that McLaren hasn't got the sound right, missing the sound is missing a lot of fun factor and steering feel while good. Ferrari is in just another league with Porsche.

Maggio23 and Afonsolaw like this.
  23. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Actually, there's nothing more annoying than someone trying to stop another speaking just because they don't like what's being said. Don't try to hound him off the thread, instead offer a convincing argument as to why he's wrong.

Afonsolaw and rocketman like this.
  24. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I made a comment in one of those threads that the issue wasn't limited to 458's and left it at that.

crinoid likes this.
  25. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Sound wise, 488 and 570s neither have right. We can agree there.

Again I will likely give the brand another shot with whatever replaced the 488 line. I think any one here that doesn't think Mclaren and Lambo aren't gaining at a alarming rate are kidding themselves. Have you driven a Performante? It's fantastic. Period.