488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Zeus have you driven a Pista or F8?

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Anyone can still get an allocation for an F8. Only issue is delivery time.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not the F8 yet.

4. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    #29 Texas2step, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Very well articulated and always nice to get opinions from people like you that have personal experience with these cars. Now that you have upset the 458 cult you need to run for the hills

PTG1 likes this.
  5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I have a better driving connection with the Speciale than the Pista.

LMH and plastique999 like this.
  6. No dog in this fight, but when I was buying my Pista, was offered an F8 allocation, which I passed on.

Just FYI.

No matter what car one gets -- F8, Pista, 488 -- all great.

LMH, Manda racing, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #32 up4speed, Feb 9, 2020
    I test drove the F8, I had ZERO interest in "upgrading" from my 458. Apparently my 458 stirred my soul better. It's just more exciting to me. When I went back to the dealer to let the salesman know the news, he admitted that I wasn't the only one that said that after test driving it. Now, definitely don't mistake my opinion with me trying to win a race with my car. In that case, I would take the F8 all day long!
    I have to admit, I love the speed, I love the looks, I love the way the whole package works together, I love the way that everything just feels like better quality. And I even love the way the turbo sounded in my ear through that sound trumpet, or whatever Ferrari calls it. But, for me, when I take my car out, at least 99% of the time, I'm appreciating the liveliness, and the sound of that 458. While all those factors/benefits, definitely had a possibility of dragging me out of my car, once I crunched the numbers of what it would cost for the "upgrade", I completely lost interest, because the fun/price ratio didn't add up at all, since I actually felt like I had more fun in my 458 vs the extremely capable and refined F8. I don't know how a Pista would fall in this mix because I've only driven one through a parking lot, and that doesn't count
    While at the dealer, I hung around to get other opinions, since I didn't want to be biased, or too swayed by price. I felt that I might be missing something, and that I must wrong in the way I was feeling. I truly wanted to appreciate it for what it was and not for "value". Well, EVERY other person I asked (6 others), that previously owned either a 458 or a 488 felt exactly the same way. The 458 guys felt that it wasn't exciting enough, and 488 guys didn't think that it was different enough to warrant the upgrade. I have to admit, in my opinion, they were worlds apart. If I had a 488, I definitely would upgrade from the 488 to the F8. The rpm limiter on the 488 drove me nuts, I found it so annoying! The F8 is so much improved on that.

8. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    The F8 Tributo - Track Test Drive

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I forgot to add in my post above....
    Looks-wise, I personally think that the Pista is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced by Ferrari (not including the rare and special cars), and the F8 is a close second. If looks, performance, and exclusivity are the biggest factor in purchasing, I have to vote for the Pista. If looks, refinement, performance, and quality, at a more reasonable price is the factor, then the F8 wins. However, if Sound, liveliness, and bargain/deal (relatively speaking) is the factor, then I vote for the 458.

PTG1 and Manda racing like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

It is well reported that Suzi Quatro never wanted to meet Elvis , she could have but didn't because she didn't want her view of Elvis to change.

Shadowfax likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #36 Shadowfax, Feb 9, 2020
    Guys please keep in mind in talking circuit here - not on the road or boulevard cruising. My account is mainly based upon the delivery of the engine, chassis, brakes, steering, and gearshift, and how they all felt and connected when pushing the car hard.

Scraggy I haven't driven a 458 Speciale but those I know well enough that who owned or still own a Spec and, who track and, who have driven their Spec and Pista on circuit all say the Pista is the one. But if you feel differently I'm fine with that.

Upforspeed where did you drive F8 and for how long? I would concur F8 is less compelling to drive than other cars I have driven and never gets angry enough but it is certainly a capable car. I didn't have a 458 to compare with that day but my past experience driving one didn't leave me with the impression it was any more exciting to drive than an F8 so it makes me wonder how these cars are being driven and where....or, is this excitement just purely based upon a sound? And I say this because the 458 chassis and controls felt somewhat antiquated and unresolved in certain areas vs the chassis of F8 which gives very good feedback and, has a far more resolved feel to the controls (steering, throttle, brake, shift).

PS re your point on liveliness, Pista has liveliness but without having the frustrations of using antiquated unresolved controls as a means to rely upon creating a "liveliness" or some form of drama.

I found F8's lack of liveliness was due to being a bit too soft and conventional in the way it goes about its business as well as lacking in aural drama where the engine never seems to sound angry enough. But in comparison to a 458 I think I would still prefer it as it just communicates better and feels more resolved as a car. F8 would also be a more pleasant car to commute in or take on a trip and to me F8 also looks a lot better too. Also would prefer it on track and, I would bet it would stand up way better durability wise in that environment too. But of course to each their own. No right or wrong in these things......just do whatever makes one happier.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Owning a 488 GTB I think the upgrades are worth the upgrade but not the change over price. For me to spec the car like my 488 GTB will cost me 250 K. To put it into perspective of that 250 K about 200 k will go to the Government Taxes. So is it worth giving that much money away to the Government NO. I HAVE A FERRARI AND I WILL ENJOY HER. Its a 488 GTB loved by many and also belittled by many but I have one.

Now money aside for the moment the PISTA wins full stop but only if I could spec it the way I wanted.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #38 Shadowfax, Feb 9, 2020
    I would agree it's a tough case justifying the price to move from 488 to an F8 but I would agree F8 looks better and overall drives better in areas which make a difference. It's a shame money comes into it but that's a reality. Had 488 not fallen over as badly as it has it would be less of a decision and easier to swallow. As the saying goes "the hardest part of buying any car is having to pay for it" but once you are in it and you can identify the differences being worth the pain then the pain of paying quickly goes away. My only concern with paying extra for an F8 would be discovering LB really is that much better and then F8 takes a massive tumble. If LB's design is good then buyers will be far less focused on the hybrid drive-train as being a stumbling block. Also think the V6 engine won't be as bad as some think. ....probably be sensational I suspect.

Astrid.Didier and MANDALAY like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    There could be a good chance that the LB is revealed whilst dealers still taking F8 orders.

The money is the issue but I can only make that decision once I drive the F8. Lets see.

But I hate giving the government that much cash for an unwarranted TAX. We all have the Luxury tax but we now pay double the stamp duty.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #40 up4speed, Feb 9, 2020
    I think we are basically in agreeance, especially with the quoted statement above. It actually is the "non perfection" and the angry sound that makes it exciting to me. The F8 definitely feels more resolved, it would definitely make a MUCH better commuter, and it definitely looks better. It also would be WAY, WAY better on a track if you are competing for good lap times. If the buyer is looking at those traits, the F8 is a MUCH better choice. If you are looking for track times, the Pista wins hands down, and the 458 is plain garbage (in comparison) to be honest. As you said, each car has to be a fit for the owner. In my case, I don't commute it in, and I don't track it (I prefer to rent, so I don't worry about the car). Since it's street driven for pleasure, I never really go more than 6 or 7/10's max (I'm fairly competent, and aggressive) and that's also for very short periods. The sound, and the less planted feel, are actually more exciting to me and more important than perfect handling. I know that I don't represent the majority, but as you said, each person has different needs. All that said, if something ever happened to my car, and I need a new one, the F8 would be right at the top of my list, because it's a truly great car. Plus as I get older, I will appreciate the more composed handling, and quieter exhaust note, etc. I would prefer the Pista compared to the F8, but not sure I could justify the price difference.

Randyslovis likes this.
  16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #41 up4speed, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    This is the feedback that I've been hearing as well regarding 488 to F8. The way I see it is that every Ferrari is great, nobody will argue that, but as others have said, each persons needs/wants/capabilities and resources determine which one they pick. I don't think anyone would say that a Pista is a bad choice. They can only say that they don't have enough money for one, or don't want to spend that much for one. The 488 is also an incredible car, enjoy it! I happen to be one of those guys that prefer the 458 over the 488, but it is in no way, shape or form a "better" car than the 488, it's just that I enjoyed it more during the test drives before I purchased. That decision is definitely based mostly on the way the engine screams towards the 9,000 RPM redline, and the cheaper price. The only part that I REALLY wish my car had that the newer models have is a stiffer chassis, and better quality feeling controls. Each new model stiffened the chassis significantly, and I'm one of those chassis snobs, lol. That's the main reason that I would never buy a convertible exotic. It's also the reason that I considered the McLaren when purchasing because they have an amazing carbon fiber tub/chassis. Of course the benefits of the Ferrari brand, Ferrari quality, and Ferrari sound, as well as the Ferrari club events, won me over

MANDALAY likes this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Whichever car supplies the owner the greatest joy and satisfaction, is the one to own, regardless of what others may think. No justification required. Each model possesses a unique set of attributes and characteristics with its specific design aesthetic. Own the car that comports more fully to what matters to you.

18. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    The OP was about Pista and F8. interestingly but not surprisingly it has become another 458 is better than everything discussion.

Thecadster, PTG1, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Real world comparison has been supplied by shadowfax and his comments seem much aligned with the design goals of the respective cars. If only I could get an opportunity to test drive the Pista.

up4speed likes this.
  20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I went the 812 route. I wanted a F8 Spider but they haven't started making them yet and while I think the car is a good upgrade to the 488, I don't want to kick in $150k for the upgrade over my 488 Spider. I have a Tubi exhaust on my car and I am satisfied with the sound and from what I can hear on videos, the F8 doesn't sound as good.

I ordered the 812 in early January and it's at 70 already, about ready to be put on the boat. I think I will be happy going back to a coupe. I believe it's going to cost me about $220k for the upgrade but in this case it's for a non-GPF 812 spec'd the way I wanted it. I have also been told I will get the 812 GTS allocation in 2021 so there is that. Of course that will end up costing me another $100k in depreciation on the 812 I imagine.

Anyway, that was my decision, to have the 12 cylinder experience which has impressive sound and by all accounts doesn't lose anything in driving experience to the 488. I heard one at COTA and was impressed with how it screamed around the track. Both the F8 and Pista are desirable cars but so is the 812 and to me that is a new avenue of Ferrari enjoyment so I am spending my money on that.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    458 or F8. Personally, aesthtically there is no comparison with the F8 being the more complete and exciting design and uniformly stunning from all angles. It is an example of form following function with not only no compromise in its appearance, the aero elements have actually enhanced the sporty nature of the car. The 458 is bland by comparison for a super car being excessively simple and unobtrusive. The front of the 458 is particularly unattractive. It looks very outdated and that moustache persona is unbefitting a Ferrari.With regard to objective performance, the F8 is undoubtedly on a higher realm. Technically, the F8 is a more advanced performer on every metric. The engine note of the 458 is unquestionably more guttural, authoritative with a gravatis that is absent in the F8.

Yet, there are those who still cling to the 458 appeal. The reason- its analog nature coupled with diminished technical prowess creates the subjective sensation of enhanced car- driver connectivity. In essence, the performance flaws create greater subjective attachment and involvement of the driver to the car. And for these owners, the driving dynamics of the 458 intensify their sense of excitement behind the wheel.

In conclusion, the most predominant factor in car preference reduces down to which model brings the highest level of enjoyment and thrills. And that is the one to own.

Thecadster, PTG1, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very well said. those are exactly my feelings. The F8 is definitely a "better" car in every way, but after a test drive, I drove home happy, and fully satisfied, in my 458.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Anyone can buy a used Pista now. Only issue is price ;) (although in France, prices are beginning to slightly drop).

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Anyone can get virtually any car- it’s only an issue of price.The F8 is available to anyone at MSRP.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #50 Caeruleus11, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    I never thought the 458 analogue when it appeared. But today it does seem more "analogue" than the newer cars. And I also thought the 458 was really fast when it was new. Now, it doesn't seem so fast. The price of progress I suppose....

I've driven them all, and own currently a 458 Italia and 488 Pista.

One of my friends asked me what I thought of the F8 from the test drive, and here is what I said:

I spent an hour driving the F8 and here are some first impressions.

It is a very good looking car. I think it is prettier than the Pista and possibly just as overall pretty as the 458 Italia. Though the Italia is still the cleanest. {Adding now: I think the F8 will really appeal more to today's visual sensibilities, but in the long view, I think we will all see the Italia as the prettiest of all the variants- however, how many here will really care about that?}

So the big question- should Pista owners worry- is this a cut rate Pista????????????????

suspense

some more suspense……………………….

The answers are a resounding: Not at all!

Pista owners should not worry- this is hardly a cut rate Pista! This is more like a 488 GTB Plus Plus.

The Pista is much more engaging and feels MUCH MUCH faster. You might take this last comment down to our cool temperatures {late Fall, low 40F temps}, but the demo is on Pirelli SottoZero winter performance tires, and while I was able to get the car to spin them, most of the time I had full traction. The F8 simply cannot match the Pista for the sheer violence of acceleration.

The F8 feels a good 300lbs heavier {purely subjective!}- some of that is down to the fact I had the salesman next to me vs alone most of the time in the Pista; however, I have driven the Pista with a few friends as passengers and the car always felt shockingly violent. The F8 just never approaches this sensation. The Pista feels stronger at all rev levels- especially the top end.

The F8 is, however, very rapid, but very much under control. Whereas the Pista, at times, it is so powerful and so fast, that you just can’t comprehend what just happened- even though I would not describe it as out of control, the F8 seems more under control. I suppose you might say there's just more drama with the Pista- but that is not to say there is no drama with the F8- far from it. It is a wonderful supercar!

The response to any input in the Pista is that much faster and more positive, whereas its dialed back at least one notch in the F8. In Race the F8 is very good but it is not like the Pista.

Same for the brakes- they are good, but lack the immediacy, bite, and feel of the Pista.

Again for the steering. Now, here the winter tires could play a role, but I know what winter tires feel like relative to summer tires, and I am positive the F8 steering does not feel as connected as the Pista.

You would think the F8 ride comfort would be so much better than the Pista, and it is, but it isn’t so much better that you would think you need the F8 in addition to the Pista. The Pista can be fairly comfortable.

The F8 sound and hot tube interaction are also very interesting. Its different from the Pista. The Pista is more grumbly and granular in its tone and its always present in the cabin. In the F8, if you are not driving hard, I think the cabin is less noisy than in the Pista- as it should be. However, if you are on the throttle more than I think about ⅓, then the hot tube transmits much more engine induction and turbo sound. It is not an artificial sound like you might get in some cars, it is very natural sounding. If they never told you they were doing this, you'd just say it sounds really good. But, I’ve never heard so much turbo whistle at lower RPMs inside a street car cabin before. I enjoyed it, but it was a little weird. As the RPMs build, so does the mechanical buzz sound of the engine induction, and this was very welcome. And, there is more of this sound than in the Pista, which some might confuse for an NA type sound, but in reality, it is the induction sound of the engine. This adds a big element of excitement over the GTB- and is a distinctive difference vs the Pista. As does the hard RPM limiter brought over with the Pista engine.

So F8 is not as hard, fast, nor thrilling as Pista. However, in Race mode, the car can be playful, and I think its a big step back to the type of fun and engaging car the 458 Italia was- just begging you to drive it and then drive it more! I just don’t know if it feels so dramatically much more powerful than the 488 GTB, but going from my now distant memory, the F8 is more playful and engaging than the GTB. So it is a very solid step up from the 488 GTB. And the GTB is a really fabulous supercar, but it never quite engaged me in the way I wanted. Whereas the Pista does. And the F8 is somewhere in the middle.

So, I think anyone ordering the F8 as their first Ferrari should be thrilled. This is a wonderful supercar. The ride is good enough to live with daily, the car is fantastically rapid, the responses are direct and well honed, the sound encouraging and exciting, and the car wants to play and be your friend. And did I mention that its gorgeous? No surprises here. The new car is improved, and the special series car just feels that much more special. Carry on...