488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 8 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
  2. Someone at Ferrari is getting fired methinks...

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah, it is obvious they are not.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #179 Art138, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    I can be objective since I had a F8 on order when the pandemic shuttered the plant and i subsequently bought a Pista. I have driven the F8 and and there is a visceral difference favorable more to the Pista. Great car and clean interior though.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Is there any difference at all in the engine of the Pista vs F8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting how you are ever so helpful.
    I’m new to Ferrari and would love a Pista, any info would be greatly appreciated.

7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    There are mistakes like this all over the official Ferrari magazine. Amazing...

Ash Patel and Bundy like this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t understand this post. You’re hardly “new to Ferrari” unless I’m missing something. Anyhoo, there’s zero difference AKAIK between Pista and F8 engine. There’s different gearbox software.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #185 Shadowfax, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    No there's a lot more to it and you would not be saying what you are if you'd driven the two. This is why I say to those who haven't - please stop and spare yourselves from any further embarrassment by suggesting there is no difference just because the complete engine assembly is essentially the same as a spare part. I recall similar discussion when the GT2 was announced to share the same basic engine as the tts. Let me just say I just spent the last two days in a 992tts and stepping back into the 2rs is crystal clear the engine, and the car as a whole, is operating on an entirely whole new (next) level. You can't really compare the regular versions to the track focused versions as they are in another galaxy altogether. This isn't to say the f8 or 2tts aren't worthy or good cars. But in terms of driver engagement and point a to point b performance the difference is absolutely night and day. No comparison. So plastique999 I hope you get where I'm coming from. Drive the two then come tell me if i'm right or wrong and if its worth pursuing any further discussion that they are same thing. Sometimes you just gotta look beyond the parts. It doesn't matter what the times are at the end of the 1/4 or how close they are - its what happens in between point a and point b on the go, when driving these cars in various driving environments.

hairdoc and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    this post is full of contradiction. Per Ferrari themselves, they lifted the engine from the Pista and dropped it in the F8. How the total Package comes together is a different story. You even stated in your post the parts are the same. The question was if the engine is the same (which it is) not if the driving experience is the same.

WM458, Drson and plastique999 like this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So what is the point you are trying to make? Plastique999 was clearly looking to read about actual differences between two cars which share the same engine gearbox and body shell. Or maybe i'm mistaken? I'm saying there are very notable differences. Not little. They may as well be two different cars except the body shell and seating position gives the game away somewhat.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d re-read his post. “Is there any difference in the engine” does not mean is there any difference period.

plastique999 likes this.
  13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #189 Shadowfax, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Plastique999 says: Interesting how you are ever so helpful - directed in a sarcastic but polite manner to ipsedixit who told him to search.

Plastique says: I’m new to Ferrari and would love a Pista, any info would be greatly appreciated.

SF says : I didn't read him asking that in the post which you responded.

And then (as in now) SF (me) suggests to look beyond the spare parts and general assemblies. Anyway I don't want to argue with you Jo sta7. I'm just pointing out there is a lot of discussion going on based upon an obvious lack of first hand experience. I would have thought it would have been very helpful to have had that at least. But maybe i'm mistaken - again.

Sometimes having first hand experience - as I have with these two - is an Achilles heel in these types of discussions, as few can handle the truth and will seek to fight it at every turn even though they have no experience in the said cars in question.

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was just trying to answer his question, his direct question, with no supposition or unnecessary prolixity. I was also expressing my confusion as to his statement as, per his ownership history he’s not “new to Ferrari” and he’s active on these boards.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Sarcasm often does not translate in print.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The salient difference between the Pista and F8 is due to suspension setting, transmission mapping and modest weight reduction.

WM458 likes this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Shadow will soon be showing up at your door with a blazing effigy of an F8 for this comment

18. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    And sound, engine mapping.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    But I will happily not be privy to it.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you for answering my question. I am fully aware that each subsequent model Ferrari produces enhances technological advances, and that limited production models are generally improved by weight reduction, suspension tweaks and power/transmission upgrades (although the Pista is not a numbered car or specifically limited, it often is viewed as the “race version” of the 488).
    The reason for my question is that if you look at the V8 line and each subsequent model starting with the 308, there is a bump in horsepower for each successor.
    So to my knowledge, the Pista -> F8 is the first time that the engine block and internals has not changed when transitioning to a newer model.

MANDALAY and Coincid like this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think this is because it is a stop gap before the LB. Easy way to pick up sales while completing development on the replacement.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The F8 is certainly an oddball in this regard. As was mentioned, it's a stop gap model before the hybrid monster comes in 2022.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. Ok, no sarcasm this time.

But your question, if indeed it was serious, essentially opens up not just a box that belongs to Pandora, but her entire freaking closet.

You can read up to your heart's content about the "differences" between the F8 engine and the Pista engine.

Some will say its simply software, like these fine gents: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f8-tributo-vs.601499/page-5

Others will say there is no difference, like the folks here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f8-tributo-vs.601499/page-4#post-146764453

Then there are those who explain the difference as one being from the Challenge car versus an "evolved" 488 engine: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/pista-or-refresh.595411/page-3#post-146494514

Good luck making heads or tails, or both, out of all that.

Ash Patel and Jo Sta7 like this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Pista v F8. Engines feel the same. Cars feel different. And personally, I love them both, different as they are.