488 radio stopped working | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 radio stopped working

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by howydo, May 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    i know it drives me crazy too. It's not a Bluetooth thing with the phone as I got a new phone last week and have never paired it and yet I had the issue this weekend. Seams like it's common enough that they will get it fixed at some point.

2. harleyud

harleyud Rookie

Aug 29, 2005
    I understand that it is an issue with the phone book for iPhone users only. Try unpairing your phone then pair it again. Make sure you do this when you can leave the car on for a while as the iPhone can take a long time to complete the process (especially if you have many contacts). If the phone book download does not complete, it can cause this issue.

3. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Apparently not the case. Read RCorsa's post above. :(

4. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Did your service manager tell you this solution? Im confused now as to what the issue might be now that RCorsa doesn't think its blue tooth. Having to wait until October for a fix is really annoying.

5. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I had a software update done yesterday that is suppose to take care of the issue. We'll see.

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Great keep us posted! My service manager said he would call me as soon as the update was available. Sounds like I need to follow up with him....grrrr

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Ah... the mysterious "software update" -- the modern catch term for fixing anything today. :)

8. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Will do. Ironically when I dropped it for the update, the radio was in fact dead :)

9. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    So true!

10. x-tremetuning

x-tremetuning Karting

Mar 12, 2016
    Hungary
    Exactly...

11. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    I just got my 2017 488 Spider and I'm experiencing the same problem. Sometimes the radio display will work, showing station, band and volume bars but no sound. Other times display works but does not respond to buttons, still no sound. Next day all was fine. Brought back to dealership and as is usual with intermittent problems, it didn't happen. They rebooted system and brought it back to me. As soon as service truck left, radio died. It's going back to dealer after weekend. Service was not aware of this problem in other vehicles. I will keep you posted on my progress. Good luck.

12. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    Same issue here on a 2017 spider. I would have just went with the the CarPlay if I could do it again. The car is in for service and they are looking into it.

13. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Ive had the issue twice. Both times I unpaired the bluetooth, turned the car off , waited about 15 min then turned it back on and volume came back. Ive not had the issue since turning off the bluetooth on my phone before getting into the car.

14. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Hey guys.
    You can add me to the "faulty" list!
    2016 GTB.
    I am going to tackle my dealer tmrw.
    ;)
    How much I sometimes like these forums .
    :)

15. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    The software update did fix the problem :)

16. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Good news!
    Thanks for supporting.

17. megadan92

megadan92 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011
    JBL system, intermittent problem with radio not working, no rhyme or reason

18. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Did you get it fixed?

19. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I am sure it will be fixed or replaced as it is covered by the warranty. Top mechanism and radio would be the least concern for the Ferrari when they develop a car, which we see so many issues after cars are delivered. It is a "Ferrari" Top issues have been constant, sticky buttons and other things come as "Ferrari Trademark" for me. I do not use radio, navigation and bluetooth. Since I am a prider owner, I need to use the top and every time I put my finger on the button, I cross my fingers as well to make sure it works without any problem. It is funny sometimes it takes 10 seconds, sometimes it takes 30 seconds to put the top up or down... It is a Ferrari...

JBL is a sub brand of Harman... Harman Kardon, Becker, Mark Levinson and Lexico are the Harman's brands... They should have put Mark Levinson at least IMHO. Maybe they have exclusivity with Lexus.. I do not know.

Hope everyone with new 488 spider will be happy after this radio thing gets sorted out. It is a beautiful and expensive car so there should not have little issues like radio. It sounds like semi epidemic on new 488. Ferrari should monitor, listen and find a solution.

20. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Ive had that problem happen 2 out of the 6 times I have driven the car last. Its so strange becuase after you let the car sit for an hour, the car is fine. We went to dinner and it didnt work (car hadnt been run in a few days) and then after dinner to grab gas it worked, then after gas it started working again!

So frustrating! BTW - mine is a 2016 488 Coupe (NO CARPLAY).

21. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Don't know if you saw my post Alex. There is a fix. Mine has never has an issue again!

22. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    After one night with the charger the problem is gone. So far, so good.
    I noticed that voltage level was quite low when I connected.
    F's electronics tend to react quite sensitive on low voltages.
    It may not be the end of the story, though.

23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    It has zero to do with the voltage. It's a firmware issue. Mines done it right after coming off the trickle charger for a couple days. As soon as I get back in town I'm taking my car in to get the firmware updated.

24. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    That is correct! As I've said, mine is fixed!

25. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Yep. Firmware update will be coming soon.
    Dealer says.