488 Replacement | Page 49 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I figured they would do that as I said. Im still convinced they will take several things from the Pista

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Could be but im going for Imola

of2worlds likes this.
  3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    The only reason I can foresee that makes sense to do a “third” version based on the 458 chassis is because they took the planned-successor model and upped it into a new price and performance category (the so-called pig brother).

In that event, they need something to sell at the “little brother” price point (aka current 488 GTB price area). Since they don’t yet have another all new chassis for that “lower power but very sporty” mid engine car, they simply update the 488 with a new name I suspect and sell that until the all new v6 hybrid car is ready in a couple of years.

That’s my guess anyways based on the near-consensus that there are 3 distinct mid engine cars under development.

I also think this makes sense in terms of better matching the offerings of Macca with a “big brother” to battle 720S and another mid engine car to battle the 570 and 600 and 650 ilk (or whatever the latest Macca models are). Regardless of why, ferrari offering a ~$3ook base price mid engine and a ~$400k mid engine base price car makes sense to me given the market.

Goosebug likes this.
  4. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    BB is going to be a missile

Caeruleus11, 09Scuderia and Shack like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #1205 Solid State, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Seems so if you then have the big brother available and the modular replacement coming out a year later. If true, production would be a fraction of the number of Pistas. Perhaps it could be described as a Pista with carpets and leather with not much else changed. Yet it may have some new performance feature from the upcoming replacement to keep the interest up. Agree that the model was planned and designed to fill the price range instead of an effort to not offend Pista owners which I think is ridiculous. They might just continue Pista production longer than what some have been guessing just because its so darn profitable and they never promised limits.

Its fun to guess and with the limited information coming out makes it more interesting. Along that line, it is easy to see that Ferrari does not hype products. The way they hype is just to say nothing and have everyone else wonder and raise expectations and form an immediate wait list.

I think the real gem is going to be the big brother as it is said to have a huge price, ownership qualifications and hypercar performance levels at a fraction of the halo cost. Should be a very serious machine. Hope the styling is fresh and up to snuff. Wouldn't be hard to look better than any Mac competitor IMO.

What's interesting here is perhaps a new level of DCT design for hybrid use. The best ones they currently offer have been right at the max torque limits and have been so for a while.

JagShergill, 09Scuderia and of2worlds like this.
  6. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    WHAT IF???
    BB is Pista engine with electric motor on each wheel ?????????mmmmmmm
    see you later Mac!!!!

MANDALAY, F2003-GA and Solid State like this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Electric per wheel AND stuck to the back of the DCT would be best performance upgrade for an ICE hybrid. However, more likely a refinement of the unit introduced on the 599 concept car and used on the LAF this go around.

8. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    the over-all silhouette looks quite intriguing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and is it a coupe only or a spider to?

10. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    maybe scissor doors ??

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I highly doubt it

Shadowfax, Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  12. :D

of2worlds and Doug23 like this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s quite a lot of hassle for many of the suppliers for Ferrari to build the older Pista alongside a newer car with a presumably different dash, some different engine components and numerous other pieces. Also, with such a short run they would want enough production slots to satisfy demand and justify developing the new model. I’m pretty certain it would curtail Pista production, thereby explaining why dealers have been suggesting allocations will be low.

Your point about DCT is a fascinating one I had not thought about. Porsche now has an 8-speed to be able to accommodate the extra torque hybrid cars, no doubt Ferrari will do something similar?

of2worlds and F2003-GA like this.
  14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think to keep costs down they will use less or no CF for bumpers or lids but overall would be cheaper than building a new car and easier on the production line than a new car. Not saying they will extend the production just thinking they could easily do it without repercussion. I hope they don't as exclusivity is part of pride of owning a car worth more than a house.

When it comes to drivetrains Ferrari are the masters. They obviously need a new transmission for what's coming up so they need to spec something that will have growth potential and something the suppliers can build. Perhaps they copy what's available and tweak here and there as you suggest. All are likely predetermined from the modular roadmap. Interesting times ahead!

15. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    FWIW....Spoke to dealership recently and 4 new cars will be offered soon. Actually it includes coupe and spider versions of a 488 replacement and a V6 twin turbo “Dino.” A 5th car will be a special edition impossible to get (unless you’re on chosen list:) model in the same category as the Monza.

crinoid likes this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1216 Shadowfax, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    You're on the money - story is pretty much the same as mine. Pretty sure "the secret info" about the new models was not meant to stay very secret for too long lol. The only thing you missed out telling here was stating BB's performance and HP numbers which as you would know sound incredible. Not sure where you can go from there.....seems we are at the end of the accel game, save maybe developing a rocket propelled car....but something tells me this level of accel/performance will not remain unique to Ferrari when you look at whats in store from the competition. It's become a matter of staying in the game.

crinoid and F2003-GA like this.
  17. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Pics seem to be gone. Could you please repost them? Thanks.

18. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    the over-all silhouette looks quite intriguing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kandi, stavura, F140C and 2 others like this.
  19. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    That would be cool for a change.

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That makes so much more sense to me than “3 mid engine cars” that some are saying.

Meaning those two you mention plus some sort of life-extension of the 488 that lasts only until the v6 comes along (this scenario also refers to your “488 replacement” as the “all new, super-car-performance-level big brother” car. And thus calls the life extension of the 488 by the name “488 replacement”.)

I think that many are interchangeablely using the phrase “488 replacement” to mean one of those two different cars; 1, the new big brother with new chassis and, 2, an updated car with the existing 488 chassis designed to sell only until the v6 all new car is ready)

Would be nice to get this totally sorted out.

For example, is the “488 replacement” you mention an all new chassis and hybrid and priced well above current 488? Or is it same chassis as 488 and turbo v8 no hybrid and priced like 488?

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

From what they told me the new 488 will provide an upgrade in performance with hybrid status and the "Dino" V6 twin turbo is planned to compete with the McLaren 570. Both of these will be offered in coupe and spider versions = 4 cars.

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So there is still some confusion :)
    Ferrari has claimed they won't go downmarket so the competition for the Mc 570 does not make sense (Ferrari also claimed they'll never make an SUV until recently though, so who knows...)
    Now for the "replacement", other posts here have been suggesting a different path:
    - simultaneously (presentation Geneva 2019), an upgraded 488 (with upgraded performance, no one expects a move backward) with no new platform and no hybrid, AND a new model positionned significantly higher, on the new platform, with hybrid and hypercar performance;
    - later (? one year later), the true replacement for the 488 market segment, with even higher performance than the upgraded 488, on the new platform, with hybrid and a V6 to keep costs down.
    At least that's what I understand of the stories so far.
    The first new hybrid car is on a new market segment, higher then the 488 (this seems to be claimed by many sources, so relatively likely).
    I don't see why Ferrari would leave the 488 market segment, where it's attacked by the Mc 720, Lambo Huracan and even Porsche to some extent. Furthermore, having a big gap between an entry level car competing with the Audi R8 and a high range supercar does not make any sense to me.

mofatmi9 and of2worlds like this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    They told you false informations, Ferrari already announced they will go upmarket

of2worlds likes this.
  24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Always hard to know until reality hits. My source at the dealership may or may not be mistaken. That's just what he told me.

25. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You could be correct. Time will tell. Just what I was told by dealer.