488 Replacement | Page 59 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Just wait and see what happens

kandi likes this.
  2. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    No AWD in mid-engine ferrari for me, thanks.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I said the same thing. And indeed, I have resisted AWD in any car for a long time. But its gotten so much better, power has gone up so much, and Ferrari's AWD system has gotten so good. I wouldn't let this bother you too much.

kandi and F2003-GA like this.
  4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I know technologies evolve quicker than we can imagine some times, but beating the LaF is still quite an achievement. They said "supercar" performance, but "hypercar performance" would be more accurate..

Hopefully crazy aero won't be the answer. Using the front wheels and delivering all the power to the ground with perfect traction should help a lot.

F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Supercar reads hypercar in Ferrari corporate terminology. Having said that the 488 is considered as a sportscar.

Caeruleus11 and kandi like this.
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Already the 488 Pista is a hairs length away from LaF in straight line performance so absolutely yes the 488 replacement will be faster than the LaF.

This was done to compete with future McLaren cars which forced Ferrari to go with turbocharging to keep competitive in the numbers game. With the 720LT predicted to go over 800hp horsepower wars are a true obscenity and 488 replacement will need to be built to support (with minor tweaks through its lifecycle) upto 1,000hp so at this level no choice but to go AWD. Furthermore FF system has already proven to be very low weight and only to kick in when needed. A tweak of the tech will make it feel seamless in future cars...

My only concern is that all of this is 1000+ hp doesn't exactly make its performance accessible on the open road without it feeling kind of boring at much lower speeds that everyday driving occurs at. I hope I am wrong but I suspect not...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I wonder where that strong believe that everything Ferrari will launch below their halo model will be based on an aluminium chassis comes from. In recent years there have been so many different rumours regarding modular platforms. At some point we even talked about one single platform applicable for both front mid- and rear mid-engine cars. However haven’t mentioned anything on that matter in the recent time. There is clear evidence that there will be two distinct architectures for the future line-up. In the presentation they also gave the hint that the rear mid layout is able for a multi-material underbody application. A fact which is also consistent with leaked patents we saw already in 2016.

If they say it is a real supercar in the standard (not limited) range I expect the latest greatest technology-wise and no compromises.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #1458 Solid State, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Its politically fine now for a new range of car (BB) to surpass the out of production LaF. Indeed the F12 was faster than the Enzo as well as other examples offered here. The BB may use the modular aluminum platform and CF body like the uber expensive Icona series but with V8 turbo.

If you compare the ICE in LaF to the ICE in existing Pista, not hard to get +800 out of the turbo. Ferrari sand bagged on the HP of the Pista making all those changes for a mere 50 hp. We all know you can chip that unit and get a whole lot more but of course they will do much more than that to the ICE turbo (which from what is reported here is already driving and finalized). As far as the hybrid portion, easy to use a higher torque electric motor. The result would be more power and performance than LaF.

The modular chassis was designed to house generations of batteries so you can get more than a decade of models out of it in various configurations - production cars with V8 turbo and aluminum body, Icona with V12 ICE and CF body, Portofino with V8 turbo or even a V6 turbo, 812 V12 similar to Icona but limited CF panels, 812 replacement with V12+hybrid and aluminum or CF panels. Sounds pretty easy to me if you believe the aluminum modular chassis concept.

The real question is why pay 3x for a hyper if you can get similar performance with a BB. That's pretty easy too as the hyper is the most limited series, full hand laid CF tub and panels, will have the angriest V12 and likely three high torque electric motors with torque vectoring and the most active aero devices. King of the hill for the deepest pockets who likely will also have the LE versions of all the other non-hyper series.

JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It would bother me. Moreover, Ferrari released a 963 CV, RWD, hypercar 6 years ago. Today's tyres are even better.

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not really. R&T clocked the Pista at 11'' for the 0-150 mph dash. The same magazine clocked the LaFerrari at 9.8''. That's a big difference; many car lengths!!!

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As with all quoted figures it will depend on so many real world things getting in way such as optioned weight of both cars, reactions of drivers, full fuel tank Vs low fuel, tuned Pista Vs stock La Ferrari, condition of tires, etc. 0-124 is only half a second difference and easily that list above could see it go either way...

Also Ferrari has a habit of always making the replacement faster than the outgoing model.. so definitely possible... Outcome may even depend on how quick the new 720LT is ...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Haven't seen 0-200 kph (0-124 mph) time measured by the same publication, but at any rate, the difference is big. Those tens of a second might sound insignificant, but in reality that means that a LF is 27 metres ahead of a Pista at the 1/4 mile. (9.7/149 vs 10.1/144, as per R&T). This is starting to sound silly, these cars are so much more than drag racers, but it shows that the LF is still the Ferrari top dog in a straight line. I doubt that this is changing any time soon.

13. m3the01

m3the01 Rookie

Aug 5, 2009
    Hampton, NH
    Doubtful, 7xxLT will debut thereafter... Look for it around dec '19 - Feb '20 and actual release around 6 months thereafter.

F2003-GA likes this.
  14. mofatmi9

mofatmi9 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Mohammed Fatmi
    Quick question guys: will the F142-FL have a model run as the usual 4-5 years? Or are we talking about a model that will be in production for only 18-24 months?

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Big brother will make up the difference IMO

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    2 years and then replaced by V6TT Hybrid

mofatmi9, Caeruleus11 and tekaefixe like this.
  17. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Would be interesting to discover the hybrid system powering the BB.
    How many MGUs? one or more of the following systems:
    *Electric front axle? (2 MGUs)
    *Gearbox-coupled KERS? (1 MGU)
    *Turbocharger ERS? (1 or 2 MGU/MU/GU)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    ... I think Ferrari went turbocharging because of emissions regulations and because of reaching maximum capabilities of NA V8 in terms of hp per litre. ... And because the world and everything is going forward not backward. Ferrari had the best in class NA V8 and made the best in class TT V8. (McLaren and others are jealous of that)

FWD in FF/GTC4Lusso is coupled to the engine in a specific way, it is specifically designed for front-mid engine layout. And it is not a rose without thorns.

As for the last concern, Ferrari usually does a great job in making the power accessible on the track but also on the road. You have to adjust the 'magic' manettino though. :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    and the 720s in 10,2 sec... Does difference from supercar to hypercars get smaller and smaller till a new hypercar is launched

F2003-GA likes this.
  20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Regular super cars catching up to Hyper cars has only been a recent trend the mantle stayed intact from 288GTO until the ENZO
    Which became the first hyper car to be beaten by a 599 GTO obviously before the lunch of La Ferrari . Now BB looks set to do the same
    But it has not taken away from the exclusiveness of Hyper cars or damaged their images either

F140C and Doug23 like this.
  21. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    That means, with BB being a regular production model (not limited quantity), everyone will be able to beat LaFerrari at fraction of the cost (mere $500k or so). We live in great times really. Who knows? ;-)

F2003-GA likes this.
  22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Done with a $100k Tesla Model S already - game has changed and the rules need to be re-written.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Plus it's sweet revenge for those who couldn't qualify for a LaF :p

kandi likes this.
  24. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Sorry, I can't recall Fiorano lap time of the Tesla Model "S".:D

25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Will check my database :)

However 0-100kmh times - sorry bro - game over. And once the Tesla Roadster hits - LaF will be like a Toyota Camry around Fiorano - F has no option but to change its own rules or get left way behind. Also with BP23 and Mercedes One - Ferrari are already way behind

perrinnation likes this.