488 Replacement | Page 86 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Less than a million is a pretty big range.

Aventadors are usually $400-500K. Yes, that's less than $1M, but it's also nowhere near $1M...

2. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I like to actually drive my cars so low $400's would be about my limit for BB. That would be more than a 50% premium on a 488 GTB and should allow Ferrari a significant profit. Considering their present flagship with a V12 and almost 800hp starts at $365, I can't see them selling a regular production car for $600K. As far as this years 488 update I think I'm going to pass if it's indeed only an update. If what on here is true I guess I won't be getting a new car until around 2021-22 if I could stomach a V6.

Motorwerks, Gh21631, kandi and 2 others like this.
  3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I have a feeling a lot of people will have same thoughts.

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Your so wrong in your pricing estimates

Gh21631 and Doug23 like this.
  5. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    I’m really positive to hybrid V6. There will be a very clever system and a really interesting turbo design too. Might allow the engine to scream more at higher revs.

New base mid engine cars will be more focused on fun and driving. While the addiotional V8TT big brother line will be more focused on numbers and horsepower and so on.

I really like this!

crinoid and G. Pepper like this.
  6. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    What did our friend 'ppg70' say? Please read the earlier posts and then show me where I'm wrong.

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Just a European régulation, nothing else...

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's part of what's driving the technology, nothing else. :)

9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You're quoting up to a million right ?

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Million dollars for a production car ?

Doug23 likes this.
  11. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    It's not gonna be like 10,000 people buying it. But 1000-2000 surely.

12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    How many in this thread are old enough that their first car had a carb instead of fuel injection? How many are old enough to remember the smog alerts in major US cities in the 60's? How many are old enough to remember the oil crisis of the 70's? No more muscle cars, they said. We would never see that kind of high horsepower era again. Emissions controls would make that impossible.

Those regulations - leave politics out of it - sparked a wave of innovation. Fuel injection became the most cost efficient method for reaching emissions goals. And it changed everything. So much more efficient than carbs, and you could get a "computer" to manage it.

But woe unto you, Shadetree Mechanic. Your days are over. You can't tinker with EFI like you could with carbs. Ha! Now almost any competent redneck can flash a chip.

EFI is one of my favorite things about modern vehicles. My '94 BMW bike has the first perfect EFI for a motorcycle, and it is the most stone ax reliable vehicle on earth. And it's so easy to work on, that it's the only vehicle I have that I do work on.

I, personally, would prefer an environment in which direct competition, not regulatory mandates, was the norm for our culture, but it is amazing where we ended up.

My 360 emits less than an old lawnmower, and it's a lot more fun. :)

This is to say that the tech current regulations are pressuring Ferrari to develop, will ~cross my fingers~ I hope, lead to another place the regulators didn't expect.

I have high hopes for both the V6 turbo-hybrid and the V8 turbo-hybrid, but the suspense is killing me. lol

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Weight has nothing to do with it. It's all about thermodynamic efficiency.

Doug23 likes this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That is an idiotic statement. Weight always has something to do with it.

IPO1 and WM458 like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #2142 Solid State, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Very inconsistent line of thinking IMO. Ferrari went to turbo for regulations and profit. Making the 458 engine bigger or more compression like the V12 engines won't meet fuel and emissions regulations. And its a lot cheaper to get more hp out of the turbo. Much of this site over the last two years have been chanting the newer EU emissions as killing the ICE engine. Ferrari is a business with a revenue plan and they are adding the hybrids and that's that. Hybrids will increase the hp even more than the turbos did against the NA engines. The last before the last will mean nothing since most will just look at the combined hp numbers. Personally, the LaF has 800hp and that's it. The electric part doesn't really matter since its separate propulsion with a $200k battery pack.

The other part that's incredible is the pricing for production cars. The Pista is a crazy price for what it is and going to $600k-$700k for a standard high production small engine Ferrari is nuts. The depreciation when so many newer and bigger battery hybrids will be coming out will make the 2+2 Ferrari depreciations look like hypercar holding values. People around here complain about the cost of CF or a 3-layet paint upgrade or losing $50K on a flip (or any money). Will be very interesting to see how this new market develops. I'm sure they know what they are doing. But I bet you still get the same paint quality that's warranted for only 36 months!

day355 likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Being ignorant is not a bad thing, per se. Being ignorant and insulting is though... Most turbocharged V8s are not far off from a N/A V12 weight-wise. Manufacturers take many variables into consideration before deciding on a development path. Weight is just one of those.

Lukeylikey, scuderia-seat and Doug23 like this.
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari also went turbo because they needed a smaller engine that was subject to lower taxes in China. One of the tax cut-off limits was 4L. Notice how all the engines from Ferrari are 3.9999999999999999 liters. The taxes can be enormous on exotic cars, so saving $100-200K in taxes can make a significant impact on sales.

Lamborghini, Audi, etc have been and still are offering big engines that meet emissions, and they will continue to for probably another 5-10 years, so clearly isn't more than just emission etc.

F2003-GA likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Chinese taxation has something to do with it. Even though the first threshold is at 3 litres. That is why the VAG group has a 2.9 litre performance V6. Audi can get away with the bigger V10 because of its size and sales volume in other markets. Lamborghini, on the other hand, is selling at capacity, so the V10 is not a problem.

BTW, the Portofino has a 3.8 and the 488 a 3.9. ;)

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sorry if I was overly blunt, but I've read a lot about turbochargers and superchargers, and worked with a mechanic who installed several of both. He took me through adding a turbo to an oil cooled motorcycle, and it was weight here, weight there, and weight everywhere.

Weight factors into the weight of the systems themselves, the weight of additional plumbing, the weight of intercoolers and associated hardware, and since there is more heat, the weight of additional cooling capacity. Then there are more robust suspension components to consider (Which is why you do the suspension before you add more power). With superchargers, it is theoretically possible - if you don't understand the issues - to add enough weight and drag on the motor that you get no net performance benefit at all. To give an absurd example, a small I4 from an econobox might not even have enough horsepower to run a really big supercharger, and the suspension could be easily upset by the weight.

F2003-GA likes this.
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I don't think that we disagree. My original statement was that a TT V8 is not necessarily much lighter than a N/A V12. Thermodynamically though, the TT V8 has an advantage. I don't consider that statement to be idiotic. Cheers. :)

stavura, Doug23 and G. Pepper like this.
  22. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This is the J50. After reading all the info that has been made available, maybe it is closer to the 488 FL than not. Easier for Ferrari to redo the interior, make it a coupe, and recoup development cost with the release. I think we are all in agreement the F173 BB, real 488 replacement, just isn't ready yet.

WM458 likes this.
  23. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    BB is not the 488 replacement, furthermore BB is pretty much ready.

24. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    The interior for 142MFL is different to the current 488 interior style.
    I see more of a “812 interior style” on this one.

F140C, maximilien and F2003-GA like this.