488 SE - Will You Want To Order One? | FerrariChat

488 SE - Will You Want To Order One?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Oct 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For those who currently own a 488, if given the opportunity by your dealer, is it your desire to order a 488 SE (whatever the name ultimately is)? If so, what would be your determining factor(s)?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    aka the GTO?

If given the opportunity....hell yes!

3. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    Assuming non-hybrid, yes!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I hear that it may be sold out already ... over here in Europe ...

Not confirmed ...

5. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nope. Don't like the door butt holes.

6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    No. I'm happy with my 488 Spider, and would not trade it for a coupe.

OTOH, for those who are purely performance oriented, it should be an easy decision to order one.

7. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    I love my 488, but yes - I would definitely order one.

As for it being sold out, I am sure that some customers (including me!) have already asked their dealers about an allocation. But, until dates and production numbers are known, I don't think they will take deposits.

8. amgm5s8

amgm5s8 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017
    Palm Beach Gardens,
    I just asked my dealer about allocation and they said not yet. No deposits.

I also was told you need to have had the Speciale and 488 in which I have.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If non Hybrid, yes. If hybrid....well...

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    For me, it's primarily about the looks of the car. As I stated in another thread, I really loved the 458 Speciale. It was a clear upgrade from the standard model. The 488 is a much more aggressive and muscular looking car, in my opinion. So, the balance between adding the appropriate amount of styling and not going overboard will be exciting to see. As for the power plant, I would agree that a hybrid would be a real shame.

11. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Most people initially moaned loudly when the 488 went turbo instead of NA now most of those same whiners are owners, why not wait to see what wizardry Ferrari can do before crying foul? Let's say it is hybrid but the weight penalty is minimal and advantages are great who knows... I doubt they'll disappoint one way or the other but the bar is set high between what the Speciale was to the 458 and now the 720s performance.

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The next version of 488 in 2021 or whenever they release it will likely be a hybrid. All the drama of going from 458 to 488 will be repeated- lack of noise etc- and yet whatever replaces the 488 will be a better car. And after the initial ***** session everyone will want whatever they call the next car- the 499 or whatever it is. Typical.

13. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    For me the 458 speciale is one of the best cars they ever build...of course the 488 GTB is better in everything and after mine will arrive in few months from now I will dream to have the "special edition" of it! I don't know if I will have the chance to order one but I will try to make it happen....my dream is to have a special edition made by Ferrari and keep it forever!

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Good dream to have. It will be an exciting wait to see what they unveil.

15. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Can we merge this thread with the 488 GTO thread ?

16. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    Most people, if given the opportunity to be "on the list" would take it because the odds are they can flip the car soon after purchase for a profit. In there lies the recurring "problem" that the system rewards flippers rather than genuine enthusiasts that will hold, cherish and drive these cars..... but without the flippers the dealers would not be in business. Their business would be losing money if they were solely reliant on deliveries of new vehicles due to the modest number of cars being produced (for now).... and as an owner you want a healthy dealer network to support your brand.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Following-up on the original question, for those who hope/plan to order a 488 SE, what design characteristics are you hoping they will incorporate in it?

[email protected] likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Less weight, more power :)

19. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    What most want is a rather silly question as that is "idealistic versus realistic".

Idealistic - So let's get Spice Girlie - "Tell me what you want, what you really really want!" the power of a Koeneggseg, the handling of a Ariel Atom, the looks of a La Ferrari, the price tag of a Nissan Versa, the comfort of a Rolls, the electronics and reliability of a Honda, the dealer experience and paint quality of a Lexus, the gas mileage of a Prius

Realistically - a body more resembling of a Speciale than a 488, move/fix the door handles, 9K redline, carbon tub (I can hear the whining cueing up in 3,2,1...), tighter steering, less GT more sportscar feeling, lighter weight by a significant margin, basically either waht Ferrari did when considering the Speciale to the 458 base OR what Porsche did with the GT4 over the standard Cayman.

If it's just a bit lighter, slightly more aero/buy racer looking, same body, etc not at all interested

20. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Dealers now have very little input in the decision of who gets what limited car allocations. The factory asks each dealer to submit their list and the factory decides. it is not unusual for a client to be allocated a limited Ferrari who isn't even on the dealers favorites list but is one of their clients. The buyer is required to hold the car for at least one year and if you sell early be prepared to not be offered another limited car in the future. Ferrari prefers collectors and dislikes flippers. Once blessed, they prefer you hold on to your limited production Ferrari for a significant amount of time. I am currently on both the factory's / dealers list for the 488 SE /GTO Aperta and look forward to its eventual production.

21. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The next version of the 488 will be Twin turbo + hybrid, and not NA + hybrid !

Shack likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure what the future will hold but there has been a difference between special / un-numbered editions and limited (to a specific number, true or not) editions so far. If the 488 VS falls into the special and not limited, typically the factory will not have much to say about who gets one.
    For the 458, the Speciale was an "unlimited" (although it's been limited by production time, obviously) edition and the "limited" edition has been the Speciale Aperta; this is reflected in the current market prices with the Aperta selling for about twice the prices of the Speciale although the list prices difference was far from that big.
    I hope to get a 488 VS and am not interested in a spider, so I may stand a chance...

23. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    I agree. The 488 GTO will be a Twin Turbo only.

Ferrari will save the hybridization for the successor to the 458/488 platform/chassis. They will have a scrap piece of paper and be able to design the chassis around the batteries and motor/generators.

It doesn't take much of a chassis change to be mandated an all new crash test from the powers to be. Ive seen a few crazy engine swaps on other cars where the chassis has been alter and it greatly affected chassis integrity.......and pretty much everything else

24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My dealer said they will put my name of the list submitted to FerrariNA and with my past history of ordering new cars and selling back to the dealer, they said my odds are very good. We will see....

25. Jelial

Jelial Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2017
    What I wish for this car is what exactly Ferrari did passing from F430 to the Scuderia and especially what they from 458 making the Speciale....as I said the Speciale is still now one of my favourite car they ever made, I just go crazy when I see it. So my hopes are that they will enhance the 488 like they did with the 458 few years ago, get my hands on it and put significantly a lot of miles on it, and I guess I will have the smile of a kid getting his dream!
    Not interested at all in keeping the car just one year for a profit....my aim is to get that keep it and maybe be one of the first to get the new mid engine V8 after the 488 and from there we will see what my financials will tell! HAHAHAHAHA