512 BBi tool kit | FerrariChat

512 BBi tool kit

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by paul33, Dec 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    I just acquired a 512BBi, beautiful (delivered in Germany) but missing the big tool bag, the one for jack.
    I went thru all threads about tool bag or attaché case for BB, but they are mainly focused on the small tool bag ie with screwdrivers and wrenches.
    I have the detailed content of this big bag according to the spare parts catalogue description. some
    Some vendors propose jack in black color whereas I see most of originals as Battaini 232F in yellow color.
    Since I am attached to get original, or exact repro items, I would like to know wether all jacks of 512BBi were yellow or if it changed to black at which date?
    On another hand, since BBi was delivered with Monodado in Germany, France in 1982, I would like to know where I could find the octagonal monodado wrench because it seems difficult to find from my search.
    If I understand well this wrench needs to have a substantial angle between the arm and the nut plan to cope with the wheel thickness. This wrench was it black or plated (CAD or else finishing shade)?
    I also read from a member that the Hammer when suited for Monodado was not the one of 2300g color blue/yellow, but he was not sure?
    I thank in advance those members who could have an input on above matters, based on original car findings.
    Best regards,
    Jean-Paul

2. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I was told by a well respected judge and authority on flat twelves that even though the octagonal wrench is shown in the parts cataloque, if you have a BBi it is not required even for concours. I found one on ebay because like you I want everything shown in the parts book.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    That judge would be wrong. Many small local run events make their own rules and do whatever they like but the FCA events or Cavallino are both under the IAC/PFA guidelines and without doubt inspect the tool bag and jack kit for completeness. And any car having octogonal knockoffs not having the wrench and hammer would receive a deduction.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The wrench prior to TR/GTO was typically black and was offset as you said.. I am not positive but I do believe the hammer was the blue/yellow one.

5. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Dear Brian,
    Thanks. Due to my poor English do you mean that for a 512BBi, 1982,(car prior testarossa or 288 GTO) the jack, type Battaini 232F, should be black?
    In this assumption the pics we see with yellow jack would not be exact/original. thanks to confirm.
    best

6. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Sorry! I missed dado wrench and jack, reading too quickly.
    So dado wrench black and for the jack Bataini 232F always yellow?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I did not mention the jack because I do not remember. On TR the jack is black and would need to research even then if any were yellow. You should ask Paul Newman or Don Bartz . Both post here.

8. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks.
    I have been already in contact with Paul N for another subject.
    Very qualified and helpful.
    If he reads us, which I hope, he will give The authorized conclusion on jack color and hammer. Jean-Paul

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I wasn’t aware that BBi’s had this as an option when new. Most if not all that I have seen are the ear type knock offs. 365 BB and 512 BB yes.

10. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Just FYI, when looking to the 512BBi spare parts catalogue, one can see that for some countries as D, B , F the hub is equiped sith Monodado, hexagonal nut. other countrie with 3 ears knock offs

11. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Interesting, learned something new!

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    US may not have been the only country eared knockoffs were not allowed for safety reasons. May have been German or Swiss requirement.

13. Capt. Rich

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Rifledriver you were the judge at Cavallino last year that said the octagonal wrench was nor required.. I say this in the kindest words and you are the go to guy for flat twelves. I must have misunderstood you. Or perhaps as my BBi512 has three ear knockoffs maybe it is not required.

14. Capt. Rich

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    P.S. I have the wrench.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #15 Rifledriver, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    You have to have misunderstood. Sorry I do not recall the conversation. Sorry for the confusion. For one thing I was not the judge responsible for inspecting the tool kit. Another is it isn't a judgement call. Either the kit is complete or it isn't. If the car has octagon nuts it must have a wrench and hammer.
    Between tools and books it is only a few of the books we do not require. All of the tools are. There is a socket available. Maybe I was speaking of that.
    On the FCA website there is access to IAC/PFA guide lines which should provide the information. It is undergoing a big rebuild though. I was on a zoom call yesterday with the guy doing it going through a list of items being made available.

16. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks Brian,
    I tried to identify a FCA website to find guidelines dedicated to 512BBi,…without success.
    Anyway my intention is not to concourse, I just with to have my new car exactly has it has beeb built in 82.
    So for the tool kit, I am now wondering, as previously questioned if the Bataini 232F was always yellow, or sometimes/later black as some vendors propose. Of course I need urgently the jack and dado wrench because I wish to drive, in case of flat tire.
    About PFA, for my another 330GTC, i have been going with the PFA as built guide V7 and exchanged a lot with Jim Cavalieri and Clete Gardenhour who are great contributors to this guide. Thanks to them. But for 512BBI, I don’t see this kind of manuel with plctures of details, paint finishings, CADplating,etc.
    So I hope some member will answer to the jack color question. And where can I find such a tool kit, complete or bag alone, and jack and monodado wrench, providing it is “as built”. Regards,
    Jean-Paul

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Brian
    can you give a heads up on whats coming for vintage cars(ie daytona)?
    is it still 87 pts for platinum?
    added point for those cars being driven? (ie rock chips)

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have no idea what event you speak of. Tell me more.

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    regarding manuals:
    what was shown in the manual is not what was always supplied with the car.
    for example, daytonas came with a can of paint for touchups but is not shown in the manual.
    also the manual shows 2 wooden screwdrivers and 2 plastic screwdrivers when only 4 plastics were supplied.
    in any event, in 20 yrs when the people who “were there” are pushing up daisies, the new judges will only have the manuals to judge by. thus the manual will rule the day.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Right now there is no specific BB information on the website. I understand what you are trying to do and commend you for it. Our rules are more relaxed than what you are trying to do but thats good. I don't answer questions like that unless I am certain and I am not. Lots of BB owners here, must be some 81,82 or 83's here.

Clete is a friend and know him well. Several more works like his are in the works.

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    you can judging guidelines were being modified?

22. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Dear Brian/Rifledriver,
    Thanks for your friendly message. I also exchanged with Christopher Christ in Germany who knows a lot on Ferraris and helped me a lot for my 330GTC.
    For Clete and Jim C , the As built guide is a « bible », and hope there will be some for 512 BB & BBi. so, for the moment let’s see if any owner may answer to my question.
    Best and Happy New Year!

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #23 Rifledriver, Dec 31, 2021
    Ours? No plans for that. And platinum is 97 points. I have no idea what group you are speaking of and you cant be bothered to tell me.
    You are obviously completely unaware of our judging procedures. We know the books are often wrong. People "who were there" often have faulty memories so we require far greater proof. And if you think every tool kit of the same part number came with the same screw drivers or pliers or if all cars came with the same color bulb and fuse box you are confused.

Paint came in the trunk of 328s too. So what? We dont judge paint cans, license plate frames or clock hang tags. You must have us confused with the Corvette club.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Dec 31, 2021
    Country dependent since long before BB's. Knock offs were banned in the US in 1968. Other countries did too at various times.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    BB wrench was offset more than BBi due to the depth of the rear rims on the BB. Ive seen both styles, learned something new that day. Yes the hammer was blue, yellow and grey.