512 TR - Idling issue | FerrariChat

512 TR - Idling issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mountain-Man74, Jan 15, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mountain-Man74

Aug 10, 2022
    Full Name:
    Aaron Haid
    I bought a 1993 512 TR a few months ago and it's been in a shop having quite a bit of work done, including a full engine out service. After getting the car back and driving it a few times I've noticed it's idling at minimum of 3000 rpm. Based on some other threads I read it seams I like it should be idling a 1000 rpm, or slightly less.

Any thoughts on why it may be idling so high?

Thanks for the insight.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Was it correctly idling at 1000 RPM initially after getting the car back, and now it's wrongly idling at 3000 RPM, or was it always wrong? Huge air leak -- throttle plate mechanism not closing properly, Idle Air Valve stuck open (although not sure it can leak that much air), etc. Have you checked that the Driver's floor mat is not holding the acc. pedal open? ;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. Mountain-Man74

Aug 10, 2022
    Full Name:
    Aaron Haid
    I'm guessing that it was idling at 1000 rpm when I first got it. I'm not 100% sure because I picked the car up and drove it 100 miles back to my house on a highway. I was excited to get the car back so I wasn't paying as much attention. I recall that it was holding at 3000 rpm in 5th gear going about 75 mph. Unfortunately, it's not the floor mat.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Shame that it isn't the easy "mat" fix. Next easiest thing to check is if the plate on the end of the 7-12 throttle plate shaft (the thing that item 33 connects to) is going to its proper rest positions against the adjustment screw at idle. There are a bunch of pivots and adjustable spherical joints (and the acc cable) that should've been relubricated/readjusted during the major so maybe something is a little too tight and hanging up the motion:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/512-tr/016-throttle-control-not-for-gd-