512bb limited? | FerrariChat

512bb limited?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Pohl, Jul 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pohl

Pohl Rookie

Jan 11, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Pohl de Visser
    Hi guys.
    I fitted a MSD box to a ferrari 512BB and the owner messaged me to ask if it had a limiter fitted now as it wont go above 120mph? Has anyone had this before??
    thanks

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    MSD has no clue how fast you are going, just what the rpm is. Could have a rev limiter, but that would work in all gears.

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I think some MSD boxes have limiters and some don't. And they're in the form of a module you plug into the box.

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
  5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I believe the BB512 uses an inductive pickup in the distributor.

I believe you can get the MSD boxes with and without rev limit.

6. SBDaytona

SBDaytona Karting

Jul 13, 2010
    As Drew says - 512 BB is an inductive pickup and that some MSDs have limiters and some don't. None that I know of have a 12 cylinder limiter unless they have been sent to MSD for that particular modification. The MSD is just counting pulses to the point where the limiter kicks in. This means if the MSD thinks it is fitted to a V8, 6 or 4 cylinder it will limit the engine at a lower rpm than is shown on the device. So could be a limiter preventing the car from running to max. Hope this helps

7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    As I opted for the Pertronix unit, (smaller and much more versatile and built for 4, 6, 8 & 12 cylinder apps) I didn't worry about this. But, as I recall the MSD had two rev limit options, 5500 and 6000...