512TR fuel Rail leak help | FerrariChat

512TR fuel Rail leak help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by iw3cou, Jan 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Hi all.

I’m pretty sure one of my fuel rails has sprung a leak so plan to replace it. Having not tackled this previously, i wanted to check on the removal process.

There is an attachment to the rear of the rail that has a thick rubber cover / tube. What is this please and how can it be removed? Is this electrical? It needs to come off in order to allow for the rail to be removed. I’ve loaded a photo of the part i’m trying to describe.

Thanks

Craig.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Brain engaged. I looked at the diagrams on ferrariparts.co.uk and see that this is the air injector and not directly connected to the fuel rail.

Taking the fuel rail off and the injectors out was fairly straightforward. The near side fuel rail is without leak but i decided to take that bank of injectors out and now i have 12 x most likely 30 year old injectors to be cleaned.

My next challenge is to find a reputable firm in the UK to service the injectors. Any recommendations from experience welcome.

Cheers.

Craig.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Craig, because you have done a lot of the removal work already, I have a couple thoughts here. My 86 Testarossa does not have your type of injectors, but I have the same type of injectors in my SL600 that I have cleaned before and it can be done easily as pictured below. I used a couple inches of fuel hose, blocked off one end with a bolt and hose clamp, inserted the red straw through the side of the hose, used a little duct tape to prevent the backout of the straw under cleaner can pressure, and tightened the other hose end hose clamp onto the injector. Add 12v to the coil to open same and let the cleaner flow. Forward flow until you are happy, and then reverse the injector onto the hose and reverse flow to flush the inlet screen. Replace the 24 o-rings if they need it. I can't speak to the fuel line connection onto each fuel rail. Hope this gives you some encouragement to do your own cleaning if you have trouble finding someone more reputable than yourself. EDoug

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. iw3cou

iw3cou Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Craig Kennett
    Thanks for taking the time to add this. I like your comment - if you have trouble finding someone more reputable than yourself. I’ll give it a shot! I don’t think there’s an issue with any of my injectors so don’t want to risk losing or breaking them by shipping them to an unknown. Cheers.