512TR Market | Page 3 | FerrariChat

512TR Market

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Drew_4RE, Jan 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    The current bidder put bids on 47 cars over the last 30 days and retracted 7 times over the same period. Probably a 12 year old having fun on eBay.

2. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Mel,
    I track car list pricing and actual sales as a personal hobby and review actual sales of most exotics and for Ferrari's most recently took interest in TRs, 512TRs, and 512Ms in the US, which the few latter 512Ms that hit our market have tended to pull >$90k+ and 512TRs only in the high $50s - low 70s on the retail side from my sales price reviews here in the US.

Interested to hear your basis of stating the M variants are not stronger, other than some unsold asking price in web listings? I track auctions and talk to buyers and dealers when opportunity avails itself post car sale here in the US and see 512Ms turn (sell) in what I consider a considerably strong 90 days+ and 512TRs languishing for 120 days+ to a year (price dependent) along with standard TRs until sellers capitulate and adjust their prices to reality.

Keeping in mind US and Euro markets are unique and distinct in our differing car culture in several aspects, which include our driving habits of exotics (europeans drive their cars more than we do in the US).

3. F1Austin

F1Austin Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Near Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Pat Welch
    #53 F1Austin, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
    My mechanic pointed this out yrs ago and it has only got worse,,,low rev's and heavy on feul,,,kiss of death,,,will trade my qv euro for TR,,even,,now 20 on ebay,,,just 11 for sale a few days ago,,TR are in dump mode again,,Pat

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I see that too Sherill, but if you want f.i. a 512M, why should you pay double the price if you can get it in Europe ... it's just a car .... :)

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

They're not in dump mode. There are just fewer cars for sale during the winter months because many sellers don't bother putting them on the market when the weather is crappy (much like boats). Spring is here and now all the sellers are putting the cars back up for sale again.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    have any 94 512trs traded recently?

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    At This Price: You can own this incredible collectible for $205,000 ... ?????????????

10. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why not? Only 75 sent to US.....only 400 512tr sent over.....not sure that I understand the price hike, but to each their own. Maybe, the extreme beauty of the 512M sweeps buyers off their feet...???.....I think I will go to my garage and take the tail lamps off of my 308 and bolt them to the back of my 512tr. Then I will remove the headlights from my 300zx TT and replace those antiquated pop ups(Lamborghini did this btw) and sell it for 300k$....1 of 1 special edition....any buyers?

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Bawhaaha.....and that about sums it up!

I've never seen the allure of the M. If a tuner did that car, it would be laughed at.

When I changed my steering wheel, the Fpimp had the TR and M wheel for the same price. I still went for the TR wheel as the M looked too ricer.

I'll stick to my "no computers" 91 Testarossa. You want technology....buy a smartphone

I just want to my TR to go faster, not be more sophisticated.

.....oh, stopping faster too ;)

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

TODDZTR likes this.
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Oh well, let's just conclude: it's good for the economy .... :)

13. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
  14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I actually dig the M, the headlights look cool I think. I do prefer the popups though> I completely agree about the tails. I posted about this years ago. The tails do not belong on the car and look silly. Should have stuck with the slatted lights or made them circular but hid them behind the rear grille.

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes....and for 330k$ .....I will turn mine into anything you want. Remember it will be 1 of 1, making it the most collectible 512tr in the US. Also, I have yet to see an earlier VIN in the USA....it would have been the first 512tr that only wanted to go 55mph from the factory....all for the bargain deal of 330k$.

Personally, I think the 512m and the Lamborghini 25th anniversary countach are studies in what NOT to do with a good design.....maybe I should bolt a wing on the back of mine....but the price is now 350k$.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Resurrecting an older thread here. What are thoughts on 512TR values these days, both for an exceptional example with very few miles as well as a very good car? Is this a great time to buy?

17. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Now is definetly a good time to buy. These cars are definetly back on the rise. If you wait to long you will most likely pay more. If this is the car you want why wait. I'm not saying your buying this as an investment but because you want it. You will definetly do better with this car than buying a new one with steep depreciation.

vonbeeler and blkdiablo33 like this.
  18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my favorite car

Zeff likes this.
  19. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Just remember too that they only brought in about 400 cars into US. This car dipped in price and now it's a great time to buy. You will never be able to time the bottom. If I had a few extra million lying around I would by all of the best inventory right now. What would you rather do buy when there is overwhelming demand.

20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Lol, 512Tr prices are anything but on the rise.

Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It would seem that unlike the TR market which has dipped quite a bit the 512 has stabilized. I would not say on the rise as , like for the TR, most example sit a looong time before selling at a lower price but they so command for low mileage one (15-20k) at least 165k from what i have seen. Cars that are cheaper than this are either a steal, have a bit more miles or might have some issues/stories from what i have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeff likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    512tr is a tough car to call a market - its alot like buying an f40 or a countach - its really hard to find no story clean cars especially in 1994 vintage. to keep things in perspective i bought my 94 in 2009/2010 for 82k with like 8k miles.

Shamile, Natkingcolebasket69 and Zeff like this.
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They actually dumped from $250-300k to back to $150k-$180k.

Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  24. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    It is definetly are more difficult market to call. The reason I say it's back on the rise is it appears definetly that prices are stabilizing. I observed a 1992 512tr sell at auction last year in august for 216k with a 10 percent commission to the buyer as it was at auction. This car was nothing special it had interior parts which were broken and it wasn't a particularly well cared for car. This was a red/ black interior car. Typical heavy signs of use. I believe it had about 15-20k miles. If I were to sell my car right now I would just take it to auction and I bet I could get at least 195k all day long. I'll never sell so it really doesn't matter. I lost 50k over the past three years on my 2015 zo6 so I am used to loosing money on cars that depreciate and is no big deal. I just sold my 1968 Shelby Gt 350 at slight profit in three years holding time. If I were to lose money on a car I'd rather lose money on a car like this initially only to make gains on it later. I never expect to make money on a car deal though. But on rare cars it usually happens.

25. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That is very true. Just wild speculation in the market. We see this in the stock market everyday.