512TR oil filters and copper washers | FerrariChat

512TR oil filters and copper washers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Oct 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have searched the old posts and I was wondering if anything new has appeared in the last years about a substitute for the UFI oil filter for the 512TR. I'm guessing no, but i thought i'd ask.
    Also has anyone found a more modern sealing washer for the oil and transmission drain/fill plugs than the old copper units?
    I just got back from a delightful 1100 mile trip in the old girl, who just passed 65,000 miles. She ran flawlessly but is now developing a tiny drip from the transmission drain plug. I hate to take her out of service for a belt change major when she is running so well, but it's probably getting to be that time again. The last major was done in 2005 at 30,000 miles.
    BTW, I recharged the AC with Freeze-12 to 45 low side/225 high side and the AC ran so cold it was painful (even in the mid-90's Florida heat.

2. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    are the filters available again? I recalled availability was running low for both the 512TR and TR a few years

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You could try a dab of Hylomar Universal Blue the threads. Amazing stuff and never dries.

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have used hylomar in the past with good results, but there must be some new technology out there better than a copper washer

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Did you reuse a copper washer without first annealing it? They get work hardened and may eventually not seal. Annealing will soften the metal restoring it to the original state, so it will undure another crush and seat against the sealing surfaces well. The beauty of using copper. Recyclable to the purpose with little effort.

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Wow 2005 let us know the condition of the belts and other stuff when u do the major

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    13yrs and 30,000 miles since your last major! Wow that's awesome! Makes me feel better about enjoying mine 7 years and 2700 miles since last service :)