550/575 Values declining | FerrariChat

550/575 Values declining

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Nov 28, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    21ATS, NE550 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    everything has been on the downtrend......

BOKE, tres55, LVP488 and 3 others like this.
  3. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Its because I just bought one

4. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    IMHO the downward trend is far from done. 2018 and most of 2019, people were holding on to their pricing and cars were barely moving but the reality finally seems to be setting in. The prices have really come down in the past 2 months and I expect the slide to be a slow and long one. There is just way too much choice and inventory in the $100-200k range. What is also interesting to note is that all the air seems to have come out of the whole manual car bubble.

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I have a solution just drive them and enjoy them like I do.. that's what they were really meant for :)

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Ryan S., SaifC, Canuck550 and 7 others like this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not just Maranellos, most modern era Ferraris except the limited production specials. Like Bill said, mine is not for sale so I really do not care.

LARRYH, BOKE, drrob and 3 others like this.
  7. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

YAY !

Don't eat too much Terry... I don't know if I will be able to follow that advice but I'm going to try:)

8. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Stuff goes up and stuff goes down. As you get older you realise you've lived through a few of these ups and downs. You've heard "it's different this time" on each up only for it to come down again.

It's just the way it is. If you're lucky you buy at the bottom rather than the top.

As [gTr] suggests, I still think we're a way off the bottom here in the UK and there's still a lot of denial going on. The estimate on this is a perfect example:-

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/ferrari/550/2001-ferrari-550-maranello-coup/10216988

I'd really like a Maranello and I look daily. But I'm equally taken by the Aston DBS (08-12 manual).

Ryan S. and JohnnyRay like this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    DBS is a nice car. But it’s not a Ferrari. I don’t mean that in a trite way. Maranellos have a thrill, when pushed, or when threaded down a country lane, that the Astons don’t. And the Aston engine doesn’t have the same responsiveness. They do have back seats though, and arguably a nicer interior, and you can get them as convertibles, which would be very tempting.

JohnnyRay and root like this.
  10. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    They are damn pretty though aren't they.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    let's return to the days of when these were just used cars. drive and enjoy

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    They are great looking cars. Fer sure. Nicer than the bland Maranellos. But they also look like every Aston made since around 1995..

joeacc and root like this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I’d take a manual V12 Vantage S Volante over a DBS. I might even take one over my gated 575, though that’s a tough one and due to the convertible rather than the driving characteristics. Although..

14. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    I've been reading about prices dropping but don't see that on actual cars here in the states. Moreover, can anybody tell me what should be roughly the value of a 550 with +60k miles with proper records? I haven't been able to find one and I've been looking for a few months now.
    It seems their owners just plan on keep driving them, good for them (and I hope to be one at some point!)

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Three good places to look:

Hagerty (freeish): https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/auto
    Ferrari Market Letter Asking Price Index (not free): https://ferrarimarketletter.com/price-index
    Bring a Trailer Search of Auction Results (free): https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=Ferrari+550

thphon likes this.
  16. FrankieFourEyes

BANNED

Sep 3, 2019
    The 550 is rare compared to the aircooled 911 of the same era, and prior. Yet they trade near the same prices. Guess which I’m buying every time.

thphon and EastMemphis like this.
  17. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #17 F355 Fan 82, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    tell me about it, mine's been or sale for months now at $94,900 and 22k miles, I figured that would lead to a quick sale but I guess not. I really don't get it, but I will say cars that are unloved are usually the ones that end up being loved later. The 575 is a rare car, 500 or so came to the US, first regular production F car to do 200 mph, first F1 system in a V12, gorgeous machine, not sure why nobody loves it. I loved mine and if I had room to lug the new twins around I'd keep it(the shelf may have to do) but parking is limited in condos and it had to go, sad bc to me its the most beautiful car and a dream of mine as a teenager. The F1 gearbox gets alot of unjust hate everywhere but its really pretty cool when you think back to how groundbreaking it was at the time. I can't believe at $94k the car isn't moving and my friends dealership has moved countless expensive classics in the months since, I always check his site and everything is pending but the F1 575

Again im 34 now, most guys my age can't pay their bills yet on their own, one day they will and the 550/575/murcielago were the only cool cars around at that time and we all dreamed of them and not many exist. I had a murcielago, it sucked, the 575 was a much better car, I even had an SLR and those may be 3x the price of the 575 but the Ferrari is more comfortable and just a better car to drive and service. Eventually the rest of my brethren will want their dream cars too, that time isn't today

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I have a DB9 with a sweet manual transmission - made by Graziano. Entirely different car than the flappy paddle torque converter version. And, the big Aston V12 really comes alive - and sounds great - rowing through the gears. It's arguably our favorite car of the bunch. A DBS could only be better. The 550 on the other hand, is a precise instrument - and has more of a performance "edge" to it in the feel and placement of the pedals as well as the steering input. My suggestion is to get one of each!

21ATS likes this.
  19. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I’m not sure I would want another Aston. I had a db9 and it was beautiful. Midnight blue over tan. Lovely exhaust note and trouble free when I owned it. Was lucky I guess. I am 6’2” so that car was cramped; about the same as huracan. The 575 fits me just barely and is comfortable to drive in. I sometimes think about trading it for something newer but I can’t seem to want to part with it.

Paid $105 for a sub 10k mile car 4 years ago when the 550s had a big run up. Don’t know if anyone remembers when yellow compass had a Grigio 550 for sale at or around $200k? There was no product on the market and rough examples were asking well over 150. Something happened and all the hysteria over the manual gearbox gave way to more sober thinking. Anyway, I watched that car languish all the way down to I think the 120s over several long months. Not sure when it ended up selling. But it was a long haul.

I’m basically fine with whatever people think these cars are worth. You’ve really got to get in and drive them and enjoy them. Once you do, it instantly becomes very clear how valuable the experience truly is. I like the rawnes, the shifts that now are slow by today’s standards, remind me of just how cool this technology actually is and was. When this came out, there was nothing in the ballpark. I mean absolutely nothing. It was just such a spectacular achievement and the F1 gearshifting was the envy of all.

I still think this today and I have a ton of fun in the car. I think these cars are going to go the same way that the Berlinetta boxers have gone. Those cars sat right around $100,000 for years and years and were a car that nobody seemed very interested in. Then one day, things started to change and now look where they are. I think there are other examples of this including the Dino It’s just a matter of time I believe.

Anyway, until then whether it happens or not, I’m going to go out and drive and have a great time. Enjoy your Ferraris guys: there’s no time like the present to have a great day and a great car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    #20 [gTr], Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    I could not disagree with you more regarding the looks of Maranellos. They have such a subtle beauty to them, so many lovely details. Yes, Astons are beautiful but like you said every Aston since 1995 looks kinda the same and thus no Aston is really that exciting as they all dilute each others shock and awe (Porsche is a more extreme example of this). The Maranello on the other hand is just such a head turner when you see it coming down the road, it stands out like no regular Porsche and Aston can.
    Its a beautiful beautiful [just making sure that you know how beautiful I find it to be :D] car.

4zaJim and gabf1 like this.
  21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Yep! Pretty much everything. Good time to buy - perhaps.

22. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I enjoyed driving the Murcielago 6spd manual.
    You (may) want to pull your car off the market and avoid over-exposing it. Re-introduce the car for sale during May 2020.

23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The murcielago was cool, just depends where you live, in miami it was just too big and wide for all the traffic, it was a blast to drive on the open roads early in the morning, but dinner at 9 pm in all the traffic and switching lanes? Yikes. The 575 was easy to drive I loved it as a car in every way, I did a couple 3 hour drives in it miami to naples, would never dream of doing that in a murci haha.

Fennicus and ralfabco like this.
  24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    mine is setup more for light track duty vs. a long drive to San Francisco. My car will leave my possession when it is a totaled smoking hulk from hitting a wall.

Laserguru likes this.
  25. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    ha ha ha......
    Have a great holiday Carl :)