550 A/C compressor | FerrariChat

550 A/C compressor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by RDS, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    The battery light on my 550 turned on the other day. The A/C compressor locked up and broke the belt that drives the altenator and the compressor. Luckily that belt doesn't drive the water pump so I was able get home and later to a dealer. That was the good news. The bad news is, aside the cost of a compressor, is that they can't find one. They are on the way from Italy in I'm sure a very slow ship. They checking with all the other dealers and if they can't get one I'll have to wait for the ship. The worst thing is that we finaly got some nice weather and my car is in the shop.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    bummer, rds.

where are you? US? you might want to slap a bit of info in your profile.

you've called all the usual non-authorized-dealer suspects, i presume?

doody.

3. chiefpilot

chiefpilot Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    I had mine go out on my 456GT. Sent to an outfit in Florida. 3 day turn with reasonble cost. If interested I will look up and email info.

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    RDS, how old is your 550 ? mileage ?
    You were lucky not to empty your battery before reaching home ...

5. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    I guess I over reacted. They found one in California and the car is ready. I brought the car in Monday and it was ready this after noon, I don't know how they did it so fast. I was expecting it to be at least two weeks. The car is a 1999 with 7500 miles, I got it March with 4800 miles on it. I think the inactivity had something to do with the compressor locking up. I drove the car about 80 miles, and the battery was almost dead. I recharged it and took it to the dealer.