550 Oil Catch Can and Carbon on Valves | FerrariChat

550 Oil Catch Can and Carbon on Valves

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by strongx, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I'm wondering if anyone has been successful with improving the 550 blow by system. I know there's been some talk about it, but I never saw any conclusions. Do 575's have the same issue with carbon? If it's a definite improvement, the 575 catch can probably could be adapted to the 550. Or there are various aftermarket cans available.

I had some oil in the plenums and some carbon on the intake valves. I'd like to find a solution, short of driving everywhere at 7,000 rpm...

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have never read that carbon on valves is a 550 issue. However, in town never getting the car hot driving does increase carbon on valves in general. The 550 is Fuel injected not direct injected and not subject to carbon on intake valves like a modern BMW. The biggest reason for oil in the intake is overfilling the oil and not adhering to factory method of dry sump oil level checking.

That said every 5 years I just make it a point to walnut shell my intakes for max performance just like I blueprint and clean my fuel injectors. No where in the WSM is either of those services described as recommended service. Walnut shelling the intakes takes me about 1 seconds a hole and that includes sucking out the shells as they are blasted in. I'm a cam shaft puller during majors so it is a no brainer for me.

3. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I didn't mean that it's a particularly bad problem for 550's, but people have mentioned it, including you. In fact, partly because of what you've written I did walnut shell blast and it worked great, so thanks for that (and your other posts). In fact, I modeled an adapter in SolidWorks and 3D printed it and connected a dust collector (for woodworking) to it. My car wasn't particularly bad, but others have mentioned the blow-by system possibly contributing oil that bakes on the valves. I just wondered if anyone has checked that out or improved it.

I'm sure in the grand scheme of things I would notice no difference if I left things alone and just blasted again in 5 years. However, it's interesting to try and get closer to mythical perfection. After all, if I was too down-to-earth and practical, I wouldn't be driving a Ferrari...

I will take issue with one thing, though. Blasting is fast, but I'll bet you as many beers as you want that it takes a bit longer than one second. At least for me, two or three :)

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah I ment 10 seconds...

I'm not sure why Ferrari has that spider web of PCV hoses. That whole catchcan thing in the front that drains via a check valve back into the sump I just don't get. To me it makes sense with a wetsump but not a dry sump. A drysump tank is a giant catch can!

5. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    So do i..
    I saw pictures about 458 with a lot of burned oil on valves like you talked about
    I asked if it was burned oil deposits when you drive fast and leave throttle fast so oil vapours comes fast with blow by system .
    That s why there are carbon deposits on then i think

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not burned oil. Burned hydrocarbons, but not oil, seen on direct injection systems.

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Oil as well as some gets by the valve seals and pcv system.