550 tyres - limited choice | FerrariChat

550 tyres - limited choice

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Bluebottle, Mar 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I am going to need a new set of tyres for my 550 later this year. Currently on fairly old Michelin Pilot Sports. I don't use my car on track and don't drive like a complete maniac on the road and pretty much any decent make of tyre should give me as much dry grip as I need, so wet weather performance is the highest priority. Everything I read seems to suggest that Michelins are what I want.

Pilot Super Sports are presently available in the right sizes (255/40x18 and 295/35x18), but Michelin appear to have dropped these from their range, so for how long will they be available? If I had a puncture a couple of years down the line, I would not want to have to replace two tyres.

PS4s, which I believe are the replacement for Super Sports, are available in the right size for the front, but not for the rear - the widest size is 275/35x18.

Should I go for SSs, and hope for the best?

How would the car feel if I were to have PS4s on the front and SSs on the rear (which would partially solve the issue of non-availability of SSs in the future, at least at the front end)?

What effect would it have if I were to fit 275/35s at the rear?

Any other ideas?

All suggestions / advice welcome.

2. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    I would look very hard at the Continentals, the Extremecontact Sport or DWS in the correct 255/295 sizes. I've had Michelin PS4 and PSS, Pirelli PZero, and now Continentals on my 550. Super happy with the Contis, especially in the wet...and they have out lasted the Michelins and especially the Pirellis by miles. I'm not looking for the last tenth of a second on the track or .001 more G's on the skidpad, so the Contis have performed perfectly for me.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You do not want DWS tires on a Ferrari. The other Continental tires are a good choice. I would still rather have MPSS tires, though, like those on my 575M. At least until Michelin starts making a 295/35 18 in the PS4S.

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not, apparently, in the UK! Continental's UK website has nothing to offer in 295/35 - widest they go is 265/35.

5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have MPSS on the 550 and on the 599 and I'm very happy with these tyres.
    I think I do not change the brand, Michelin is my choice the next years.
    I would go with the MPSS, and in case of a damage, it should be possible to get a tyre with a little search from a good tyre dealer.
    If you get now tyres from 2018, it should be no problem to get the same production year in 2-4 years for change a damaged one, I would not mix younger with older tyres.

Daniel

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In UK currently available in 295/35/18 is:

Pirelli P zero Rosso Asimmetrico
    Bridgestone Potenza RE 050
    Michelin Pilot supersport
    Michelin Pilot PS2
    Toyo Proxes T1

All available at Mytyres,co.uk

and available in correct front size, also.

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I shall go with the MPSSs and, as it appears they are no longer in production, I may as well get them sooner than later.

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    A bit more research (always a dangerous thing!) and I'm now unsure!!!:confused:

Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A and Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico come in the right sizes and appear to be still in production unlike the MPSS. Pirelli and Michelin are about the same price, Bridgestone about 15% cheaper. Reviews suggest MPSS is best, closely followed by Pirelli, with Bridgestone bringing up the rear, so I am veering towards Pirellis, on the basis of their still being in production, unlike the Michelins. However, one UK 550 owner on Club Scuderia site says he was uncomfortable in the wet on Pirellis and now much happier on Michelins (positively damning about the Bridgestones).

Any thoughts?

9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I had Bridgestone RE 050 runflat, because 1st owner bought that option.
    Much better to drive with the MPSS !!!

Daniel

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- I am not sure Michelin has stopped producing the MPSS, at least in sizes that are not covered by the PS4S.

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    It is no longer to be on their website, and on entering the car's details it correctly identifies the tyres and says "We're sorry – currently, no tyres match your search". If I search by tyre sizes, it offers me MPSS for the rear and MPS4 for the front and I am not convinced that is a good idea.

However, I have emailed them to inquire. I hope I am wrong: nobody seems to have anything good to say about the Bridgestones and the Pirellis ddo not seem to have many admirers either, while everyone rates the Michelins. I may go for the MPSS all round anyway as there still seem to be stocks available.

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    You are right, Terry. They still make MPSS in the right size for the rears, but not the fronts, which are only made as PS4s. And they don't make PS4s in the right size for the rears. So in theory I cannot get a matched set of MPSSs or PS4s. In fact, according to Michelin, whom I emailed, I cannot get a set of their tyres for my car, full stop.

Some tyre suppliers do appear, however, still to have MPSSs in the right sizes for both front and rear, so it looks as though I have two choices:
    1. MPSS all round, and hope I shall never need to replace one of them (e.g. if I get a puncture)., because that could involve replacing at least two, possibly all 4.
    2. Go for the Pirellis.
    :(:confused:

13. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016

Agreed! I switched to contis and have been really impressed. I’m taking the car out now and it’s 40 degrees in Ohio...tires grip hard even in these conditions. I’ve also had them in the rain a few times and they handle great!

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    This is what I found on Continental's UK website:

4. By size
    295/35 R18
    Sorry there are no tyres available.​

For better or worse, I am going to go with MPSS if I can get them.

15. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I just bought from the Tire Rack Michelin Pilot super sports for my 550. 255/40/18 front and 295/35/18 rears. These tires have really transformed the car. I would buy them and If you ever get a puncture I am sure you can find one tire if you need to. Live for today...

16. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    You are over-analyzing the the replacement aspect. Could happen to any tire - or other product for that matter. Go for the MPSS and be done with it. You will be pleased - as many others are...

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    It is precisely because it could happen to any tyre, at any time. I had to replace a tyre on my Dino only a couple of months back due to a puncture, but that was no problem because they are all the same and likely to be available for a long time to come, now that they have gained "classic" status, whereas if I go with MPSS on my 550, I shall be buying a tyre which Michelin have already stopped making, which is indicative of supply problems in the future.

However, notwithstanding that, I have decided to go with MPSS, for better or worse.

18. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I'm running three sets... :)

Bluebottle likes this.
  19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Who said Michelin stopped making Pilot Super Sports?

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Michelin:

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN Consumer Care.
    Unfortunately in these tyre dimension sizes we do not have any matching sets, therefore we are unable to recommend you a tyre.
    For additional information please contact us by email: [email protected], on our website http://www.michelin.co.uk/, our contact form http://www.michelin.co.uk/contact or by phone to 0845 366 1590 or 0845 366 1535.
    MICHELIN is happy to accompany you on every journey and would like to thank you for the confidence.

Mathew, your advisor​

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The email I quoted came from the contact you have quoted, so I guess they don't know their arse from their elbow!

Whatever, I have found a supplier (My Tyres) who apparently has them and a set of four should be winging its way to my local Ferrari agent right now (for £830, including 2 years' insurance, which seems pretty fair to me). :)

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Obviously.

You'll be very happy with them.

24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed