575 died on me, what happened | Page 2 | FerrariChat

575 died on me, what happened

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F355 Fan 82, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Matt is fantastic!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    He is Dave, now dave question I forgot to ask him while I had him on the phone, the last time the "clutch" was changed it was just the clutch disc back in 2014 3500 miles ago. Obviously the previous owner wanted to save money and only did the disc, while everything is out now should we do the pressure plates, throwout bearings, etc while we're in there? Or just the new sensor? I remember you saying you had an F1 355

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I do have a 98 355 F1 GTS. Very different car. I would do whatever Matt suggests - he will be the guy "in there" and can evaluate those parts. Matt is an honest guy and does not fix what's not broken. If he tells you it's a good idea to replace certain components, I would just follow his recommendation. I do a lot of business with Matt and speak with him very often. He knows his stuff.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    With Ferrari...that's why its a 3 pedal car for me. Every extra wire Ferrari adds to a car is a point of failure that can stop the car from going. It's the Ferrari way.

Not too long ago I was fallen by the imobilizer. In haste I pressed the wrong series of buttons and the alarm was going off. I could not turn it off hence no start. I have an extra FOB battery in the car so I changed it. I pressed buttons for a very long time with no resolution to the point I just called the tow truck. I sat around waiting then pressed the FOB again and the alarm shut off. I started the car and it has worked fine since. You can't make up stories like these and you can't fix a problem you can duplicate. The bottom line these cars are cursed.

Jon Von Bon and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    O yea i know he's very honest I just forgot to ask him while we were on the phone, Ill ask him next week, it just has been an incredibly long time since all those components were changed. I honestly don't get why some owners cheap out when its time for a clutch and just do the disc vs a clutch pack. You have a freaking Ferrari no sense in being cheap.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Good to hear it's not as bad as it might have been. But still, commiserations, and I hope you are back on the road soon. I am still waiting for my first Ferrari breakdown..it will happen, no telling when, and it may happen big!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No, they are not.

They are relativity low volume production cars that are very technologically advanced for their era. The product life cycle testing is not that of a Ford Focus.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Funny only if true! Advanced indeed. If you had a brand new 488gtb with DCT and a lowly VW Beetle with DSG, (VW's version of DCT) and left from California to NYC the chances are the VW will make it to NYC and back and the Ferrari will be dead somewhere waiting for parts.

Jon Von Bon and Gran Drewismo like this.
  9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Very well put!

Ruben

Dave rocks likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    To change the clutch position sensor, everything has to be done that would be done for a clutch change. If she were mine, I would put in a new clutch, T/O bearing, and pilot bearing along with the sensor. On 360s and F430s, you can change that sensor without pulling the clutch, but they were designed from the start that way. Our transaxles are souped up 550 transaxles designed before F1 with tougher parts and more synchos on lower gears, so no provision for clutch position sensor changes. Most of the job is labor, disconnecting the axles, removing part of the exhaust, and sliding back or removing the transaxle, so while you are in there...

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #36 F355 Fan 82, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Taz I've never changed the clutch on my 575 yet its only got 3700 miles on it, but it is 4 years old. The previous owner only did the clutch disc at 17,500 and its at 21,200. The reading isn't showing much wear. Regardless,which clutch pack would you go with? How much more than the original $2600 i was looking at would it possibly be for everything you said vs just to replace the clutch position sensor? I need to call my tech tomorrow to talk he's closed today.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would use a factory clutch, Hill Engineering T/O bearing and factory pilot bearing and latest waterproof clutch position sensor. Especially since the last guy did not change the pressure plate or T/O bearing. T/O bearings get about 3 times the wear in an F1 Ferrari as a 3 pedal according to some of our pros. Give Daniel a call at Ricambi and see what he can do for you on price for a package. He gives an FChat or FCA discount (not both). At least $2K of that $2600 was labor, so you will just have the additional parts.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  13. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The stupidest, most obscure parts fail too. Luckily I have never had the F-cars leave me on the side of the road except once for a blown tire (brand new), but I often have a list of things to repair on the cars. I have clocked a ton of miles on these things and the running gear never lets me down. If I see something that needs attention whilst doing maintenance, I fix it right there, but fans, relays, switches, modules, pumps,electric motors, bulbs, (in the dash), sheesh!...
    Important to look after the criticals immediately, If you have a boot ripped up or suspension lights on, slow down lights etc... you have to tend to it because these items cascade to more and larger items fairly quickly if you dont clean them up when you see them.

fatbillybob likes this.
  14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agreed! Something simple like a CV joint boot can cascade into needing a new axle for 1 million dollars vs. a handfull of grease and a rubber boot.

Did you watch F1 race today? Ferrari to Kimi..."Ignore the warning light!" LOL! Typical Ferrari...A redhot mistress with body odor.

15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You just described BMW ownership as well :)

16. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Both marques share so many components and systems, it's like they're siblings with different fathers :)

17. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    cribb im shipping my 575 down to my place in houston for a few months after its fixed down here bc I have another car coming and only 2 parking spots, who do you maintain your car with down there, just curious in case i need something, im in the galleria area fwiw.

18. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    When you cheap out on a Ferrari service
    You might as well not do it at all
    Ferrari’s are like the fighters I used to fly in the Air Force
    Small things can make you eject!