575 on BAT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

575 on BAT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jonsav, Feb 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd disagree that your "stealing" cars over at BaT. some of those cars had issues (the 575 had accident history). or is it what actual prices are and not what marshall goldman asking prices think they are worth ?

https://www.similarweb.com/website/bringatrailer.com?competitors=ferrarichat.com

looks like the site gets plenty of traffic

i've seen (what i think) are some crazy big money sale prices on stuff and rare cars with super low production volumes - so the bidders show up for cars much rarer than ferraris

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they get a huge amount of traffic and their auctions are very successful, I'm not arguing that, I just think we have an opportunity to be the Ferrari online auction of choice.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    fix the format and they will come....

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    a more robust system will help, but I think insignificant, the lack of getting 2 bidders to take a 308 over $18k is not a system problem. we need to prove the concept as is and then we can invest in more robust system to get that extra 20% of eyes and bids. I won't cross promote them, but there is a new online auction site trying to compete with BAT, it is a beautiful system better than BAT, but they aren't getting significant bidders either.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the difference is you already have the traffic.

look.. i knew about the upcoming auctions. i wanted to watch them .... might have not been interested in the particular models but ill bid and buy anything if i think its a deal.

but i completely missed both and i am on the site multiple times a day.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, it has been tougher than I expected to get the word out. I agree we already have the people already to make significant bids between users and 40+ dealers, but a top menu, top forum, in your face embedded message, dedicated email, and mention in newsletter evidently not enough. :D

7. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    could it be that the message board format be is a hindrance ?

i check BaT every morning to see if there is something to blow $$$ on. requires nothing but a visit to the site and a scroll down.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I come directly to the new posts page, so if it's not at the top of that or otherwise blatantly obvious on that page, I won't (and didn't) see it while it's open for bidding.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It's there, it's EVERY page! y'all just blind. :D pretty soon I need to implement a braille version of FerrariChat. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How does that tell me there's an open Auction going on? Look at BAT, right at the top of the page it lists auctions that are open.

I rarely use the menu on top unless I decide to navigate to a specific forum (like the classifieds or specific to my model). I have the new posts page bookmarked so if it doesn't show up in the list of posts or right there at the top saying there's an open auction, It's likely that I won't see it. I may see discussion in advance or after the fact, but it's not likely I'll see it while it's going on unless I decide to frequently check the auctions - which may happen once some momentum builds, but that won't happen if you don't build the momentum first.

I knew about the auctions, I see the menu there, but there's no indication of open or upcoming auctions without me clicking through a few times to something, I think that's an issue if you want to build momentum, especially for people that don't come specifically looking to buy something on a specific day.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    my thinking goes along with pete's

i guess it is akin to putting the slot machines at the entrances...

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well BAT is an auction site now that has conversations on side, FerrariChat is conversations site with auctions on the side. when we release an optional landing page it will display active auctions more prominently. not sure why FerrariChat users are asking for auctions to be more in your face as that has never been requested of classifieds.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    auctions are a BIG part of BAT, they are a small part of FerrariChat.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Auctions are much more time sensitive than regular classifieds, and usually (at least on this site, for now), also much lower quantity. I wouldn't mind something like the top banner that on BAT if there's just one or two auctions active. It'd be more relevant than half of the banner ads, and we're all fine with those.

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    but thats not how the site started and they were not till maybe a little over a year ago.

please put a $50k bid in out that BBi in case i miss it

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think you'll like our new home page we're developing.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    until we get more critical mass bidders, we're going to start the minimums higher, minimum will be $200k. eventually it won't matter because our sponsors will be competing to bid them up to wholesale quickly.

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    well that takes the fun out of it.....

i would guess 80-90% of the bids from bidders on BaT have no intention of buying the car at market price and or cannot afford it. doesn't stop them from bidding, say 456 on a 456 ferrari. it all adds to the fun and the traffic

19. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Rob, I had seen the top banner/notice announcing the auctions, but had a frustrating experience trying to get to the action as the link that was in the notice took me to discussions about the auction, not to the actual auction where I can see the car, pics, etc... THEN, if I’d be interested, I may want to peruse and participate in the comments.

There are many things wrong with BAT, but the one thing that they do very well is their UX flow: lure with pics and current price, provide detailed info about the car (with more pics), then expose the discussions/comments. For me, as a user of BAT, this is their winning formula.

Ruben

rob lay likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's why I don't understand first two cars not even reaching wholesale numbers.

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Rob: that's a great example of not wanting to see whats right in front of you......you're wasting valuable real estate right where ALL the eyes go first.....and that's not the header bar.....
    It's all that open real estate right below it....
    If somebody wants the auction, it's right there, tap and done.....if I don't want the auction, it's scrolling away anyway! sheesh!

22. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I just think in general like I said earlier, most people dont really want to buy a Ferrari via auction. Even Mecum this weekend struggled selling a couple Ferraris. Ferraris are posted all over ebay but most use ebay to see a car and then go see it. The whole auction format works when you have a really rare car that tons of people are after if you're looking for top dollar otherwise auctions are used to wholesale cars at manheim for low prices.

Most people selling a Ferrari, assuming its been taken care of want top dollar and thats just not what auctions bring unless you're doing something rare like an F50 or something. BAT gets horrible prices for most of the exotics they sell but the sellers are fine with that bc those prices are probably higher than trade in values. The reality is all our Ferraris have a high value to us, other buyers don't care, like I said my 575, I was offered $82k by the Ferrari dealer, they told me its not an easy car to sell, I bet if I gave it to them they would've listed it at $129k like all the other red low mile ones on ebay right now, maybe even higher bc they're a Ferrari dealer. Its just the nature of the business with these cars. Rare cars will fetch top dollar, the 512bbi should do well, but most "regular" ferraris on BAT and on here probably will fetch wholesale prices bc most buyers buying these cars they're not seeing in person are going to discount heavily for repairs/maintenance it may need.

rob lay likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I disagree, current layout isn't prohibitive, we're not marketing auctions from the menu, we're making it accessible like everything else there. it will marketed elsewhere.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  24. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I echo Pete's comments. Now that I know where the auctions are I'm going to check it more often but after the initial car, I forgot about it and didn't even notice them.

25. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Sorry, but I think FChat should work on improving the site, not competing in the auction space. Not just the recently introduced facelift, but features and a redesign that make the community site better - like figuring out how to improve the search function, adding more stickies, etc. so you can actually find topics of interest. Auctions are way above the ability of FChat.