575 Replacement | FerrariChat

575 Replacement

Discussion in '612/599' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Everybody asking about the 420M. I'd like to know what Ferrari plans on replacing the 575 with. Will it be another front engine V12 GT or back to a Mid engine V12 ? or better yet, 1 of each to make everybody happy :)

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Luca liksa da 12-cylindro engeen en da front. Datsa way itsa gonna be.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the rumors thus far have been that the Maranello replacement is going to share some "stuff" from the 612. so it can't/won't be a radical departure like moving the engine amidships.

damn shame too, if you ask me since (a) they'd do better in that chunk of their market if they did a mid-engine car and (b) my Maranello would end up being worth more over time ;)

we might all be pleasantly surprised, but i wouldn't involve myself in any breath-holding. it's wildly unlikely to not be front-engined.

doody.

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Based on the 612 and the comments that the 575-replacement would leverage the 612, and given the market demand, here's my guess:

They are going to use the same powerful engine.
    They are going to use the same mid-engine design... a front mid-engine.

But instead of a 2+2 that's actually comfortable for 4 adults, and the resultant size and weight... they will use the aluminum technology from both 360 and 612 to make a very light, nimble 2-seater package for that engine... which should result in a 3.x 0-60, and other similarly impressive times.

The big question mark is the look. With a front mid-engine, you necessarily have a long front end. The best-looking long-front-engine Ferrari was the 250GTO, IMO. So, I am hoping they borrow its lines heavily... but I would expect those lines blended with the 575M and 612 styling to produce something that is altogether new, but reminiscent of past designs.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I agree about the 250GTO.

What would REALLY set the auto world on it's ear is if they pulled a Ford GT-style resurrection and made a '600 GTO' with a body almost identical to the '63, with the 575/612 drivetrain.

They'd sell the entire 5-year run in one month. For tifosi, it would be dubbed The (first) Second Coming!

6. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I was at Ferrari of Dallas yesterday and spoke with the owner about this subject. He shared with me that the 575 replacement will be about 1.1/2 to 2 years away and will be a front/mid engine design.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    wouldn't that just be the bees knees? yowza yowza.

so that'd suggest they'dd probably bow it late summer or early winter 2005 for deliveries starting with the 2007 MY in early to mid 2006. makes sense.

i'm very concerned that the replacement will be too sedate. i love the Maranello, but it lacks some of the panache (love it or hate it) of the Testarossa line. maybe they felt their customer base was "growing up" or something, but i think they'd be best-served by more envelope-pushing.

doody.

8. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Can't wait

9. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    To judge from the past, it seems clear what they will do. Use the Enzo engine, tuned down slightly. Use the 612 platform, front-mid and aluminum, tuned up more than slightly. Styling is the big question, of course. Will it be more sports and less GT? I would say yes. They can achieve both ends because of the front-mid engine and the aluminum spaceframe. It should become the true flagship of the line-up, not the softer but faster but less fun to drive older brother of the eight cylinder. Performance could easily match the SLR, Carrera GT and Murci, with the style and refinement of a Ferrari GT. A spyder would send everyone back to the drawing board.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If it is to be as ugly as the 612, hopefully it burned in the factory fire ... ;)

Pete

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not agree, man. Car design is nowadays like film making: there are not good ideas so they just do "remakes" of the classic ones.

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    There are still some novel ideas both in movies & cars for movies The MATRIX was revolutiuonary, nothing like it before ever, then there were the Jurassic Park movies which werent completelt 100% new topic wize but were groundbreaking in technology, same for the Pixar films

RE Cars the Porsche Carrera GT is pretty wild & doesnt look like much they did in th past. The Enzo shows the danger of being groundbreaking, Yeuch

Ferrari HAS to have a spyder version of its next car bcus there major competition Porsche turbo cabriolet, MB SL55, & Murcielago, AM Vanquish all have spyder versions. If Ferrari doenst offer a spyder they will be giving away a lot of $ to the competition who will be only too happy to take it

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm hearing 2007 as the earliest.

14. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I once heard that the Ferrari/Maserati strategy is to introduce a new (either brand new model or an update of an existing one) model each year. My guess is as follows:

2005 - Update of the Modena, engine plus body design.
    2006 - Brand new v12 replacement of the Maranello.
    2007 - Maserati update?
    2008 - Brand new replacement of the Modena.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I agree there... having a good-looking spider is far more important than having the most horsepower.

On the retro, I agree that doing so is a cop-out... and I would be very surprised if Ferrari ever did that. However, they typically borrow a lot of lines from past cars... and I am hoping they borrow the 250GTO lines heavily.

16. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Maranello & 360 are both very retro cars based on the Daytona & 250LM

I really want to see a Testa Rossa inspired model :)

17. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

Well, Matrix had a few new ideas, but Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions didn´t add anything new. And Jurassic Park had great FX but it was a rather conventional film.

But we are not here to discuss about films. I would like to see a 575 Spider too. They should call it 575 Spyder California or something like that.

18. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    #18 Burnout, Apr 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I second that! Have a Spider version, like the Pininfarina Rosso concept car, and a coupe. That'd be a good rebound from the 612.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login