575 Superamerica Bad Roof | FerrariChat

575 Superamerica Bad Roof

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Maserati Lyon, Feb 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maserati Lyon

Maserati Lyon Rookie

Feb 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    I am in the market for a 575 Superamerica. Does anyone have a photo of what a bad or fadded glass roof looks like? Never seen one so I need to know what to look for.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I wasn't aware that the glass fades. However, the known issue with the SuperAmerica roof is the failing mechanism - and it's a pricy repair. If you're in the market for a SuperAmerica, you'll want to confirm that the roof has been repaired before you write the check.

3. Maserati Lyon

Maserati Lyon Rookie

Feb 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    I have been told they get “cloudy” before they fail. Just wanted to see what exactly cloudy looks like.

4. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    I have also been told that they de-laminate, meaning some of the pieces that are sandwiched together start to separate. My mechanic told me about this with a SuperAmerica he had recently worked on. He made it sound like this was not an isolated incident.

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And don't open the top with an acorn in the "cradle"...

6. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    If the glass needs replacing you have an expensive problem. I believe somewhere around $30K worth or more.

7. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The motorized carrier tends to fail, AND the glass tends to delaminate. It is a common problem. The carrier is about $10,500, and the top is about $26k (just for the top assembly....add another grand for labor).

Look for delamination or hazing around the edges of the top. It will be fairly obvious if the glass is delaminated.

8. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Beware of falling values..

9. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    That's quite a price for glass. What's in it....diamond flakes?

10. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Ferrari is doing what they always did... fund racing with road cars.

11. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Given all the previous posts and discussions, the comments here appear to be from a lot on non-SA owners with a lot of heresay. Let me try to address the points with a few more facts.

First, and from previous fellow SA owners discussions and from personal experience it is the two tiny supporting gas struts in the roof mechanism that go faulty and fail to support the roof properly going up or down. I held the boot open in those conditions with a golf umbrella OK and used my hald to help it open without dropping (from within the car). That worked fine until it was fixed.
    Replacing the struts cost US$ 1140 including labour....at relatively high HK prices. I beleive some FChatters did the same in US for less.

Secondly, I have not seen a delaminating roof, but I would swear that because I only drive mine with the roof open it is in perfect condition. Because the car is prone to a bit of torsion (as most convertibles, even with addiitonal chassis support are), which I beleive twists the roof when driving on uneven surfaces, causing the delamination of the layers of glass and electrochromic layers. Hong Kong roads are very bumpy too.
    So....if you find a good roof, keep it nice by driving with it down a lot.

Lastly, the whole roof replacement, when I last looked, is about US$25,000
    Here it is currently in UK at http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult_one.asp?S=68707900&TM=1&TMo=644&TA=2&TB=37066 for GBP 15,653, which is about US$ 24,262
    Ricambi or other US source may be cheaper.

I also think the SA has probably experienced the bulk of its depreciation now anyway.

In 10,000 Kms, in 5 year my SA has averaged US$ 2,000 per year in maintenance, including annual service, the roof fix above, Cam belt and associated stuff, New TPMS sensors and un-stickying the interior plastics. My MB280 saloon has cost me more (but over 40,000Km)

However, we dont have acorns in HK so no comment on that one!

PAUL

12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have a 575, but my father has a SA. Yes, his roof did start to have what looked like a 10" crack starting to form in the electronic grid underneath the glass. He found out to much electrical current was going to the top. This is well known by Ferrari and there is an update for it. Yes, the top is $25K USD replace and there is no repair for it. The grid looks completely different in the new top. I will ask him to post about his top replacement experience.
    I would recommend if you have an old top go asap to a dealer and ask for the update from ferrari to reduce the electrical current to your top.

13. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Paul, the fact that SA roofs are delaminating isn't heresay.

14. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Hahahahahahahaha! Well said.

15. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    I agree, but that is one point out of many others, like the motor and the new roof cost. I still have not seen one delaminating here in Hong Kong, but I know they exist. Some may be due to this electrical problem and update, which again, mine had during an early service (FOC). I also think it may happen due to torsion on the roof.
    My point was more to say how I think one should take care of the roof, if you have a good one.
    Thanks
    PAUL

16. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Maserati Lyon,

PM sent

Mario

17. RWebber