575 Technical Thread | Page 51 | FerrariChat

575 Technical Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  2. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Here is the latest version, and it has not changed much in several years.

Attached Files:

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Is this the right thread for a dumb technical question? If not, apologies in advance.

There is no visible fluid level at all in the brake fluid reservoir tank in my 575, viewed from the outside of the tank. The cap itself is very brittle, although I haven't actually disconnected the wires and tried hard to remove it - I am a mechanical neophyte, so I don't want to risk breaking anything performing these 2 actions unless I have to. But is the reservoir tank opaque, in any case, in other words can you normally clearly see the fluid inside it from the outside? If not, and since the car was serviced a few months back, there's probably nothing to worry about. The brakes work fine.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- The brake fluid reservoir is translucent and you should be able to see the fluid level. May take a bright light to see it, but here is what is shown in the WSM.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Any sign of leaks from the tank itself? I found a crack in mine (it's the same as a F355 (5.2)'s tank)

It took me a months to find a replacement tank, but they are now being remanufactured and quite cheap.

e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Part-173866-COMPLETE-BRAKE-OIL-TANK-/153829538921

At that price it's probably worth buying it for the new cap alone.

I'm not so mechanically inclined either, and I did have a few difficulties replacing it. I recall it wasn't quite "plug and play". Due to an ordering error, I ended up with two tanks from different sources (and one was slightly different and easier to fit than the other)

Anyway, low fluid levels (if it is low) could be caused by a number of things. Any signs of leaks on your garage floor?

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Taz. From what you posted I think it is most likely empty then. I will go down and check properly, taking connection and lid off, in the next couple of days. How easy it is to get the right brake fluid delivered right now is another question.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    thanks Ian. I will check for cracks and leakage on the floor.

If I refill it (which would be a significant mechanical achievement for me), will a leak only show up under pressure (warming and driving)?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I suppose it will depend on where the leak is. I don't think the reservoir itself is pressurised (?), so a leak in that may not require driving. Another thought.... The reservoir is a combined clutch and brake reservoir. If the fluid is low, you may have a clutch problem rather than a brake problem.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- If the fluid gets low enough, you will start introducing air into the systems, both brake and clutch. Should be no problem finding whatever your tech used in her the last time. Just ask him what he used. Hopefully she is not leaking around the throw-out/thrust bearing. There is an inspection port your tech can use to see if there is brake fluid in the housing if the leak continues.

F456M likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Right, so went down there with a proper torch/light today. No fluid level showing at all in the reservoir. I was just steeling myself to disconnect the electrical points and try and prize open the brittle lid - likely with disastrous results - when I had the idea of shaking the reservoir around a little and, bingo, fluid level appears right near the top. It has been filled beyond Max and the top of the fluid is invisible under the lid.
    Now the question is, do I need to get rid of some? And how if so? I don’t have anything like a pipette and it’s corrosive, correct?

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #1262 Qavion, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Yes, it's not good for paintwork.

It's probably best to stick within the recommended upper/lower limits.

You might be able to use a pump-type dispenser (from a bathroom/kitchen cleaning product) to pump out the fluid into another container (with lots of rags protecting the area).

If any fluid gets on the paintwork, just wash with lots of water.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Turkey baster is how my techs change out half my F1 fluid annually without making a mess.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you, everyone. Turkey baster, brilliant. A job for those long days at home. Meanwhile I can use the car for my essential supplies journey to my mother today, which is a relief.
    Many thanks again.

Qavion and F456M like this.
  15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    This just popped up on my 575 SA.
    Help me out here. Is it telling me car needs service? Sensors in tires batteries bad? I don't think I have a flat.

16. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Armen- Affirmative, something is wrong with the TPMS. If the tire pressures are good, then odds are the TPMS sensor batteries have worn out. The later ones typically last 5-8 years. SD2s or equivalent can diagnose the problem in case the sensors are fairly new.

ag512bbi likes this.
  18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Fair enough. Thank you. It has been a while since replacing the batteries.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    For whatever reason, I’ve seen very few US back 575s with carbon options. Mind you this is just anecdotal; I would have to defer to Taz for real numbers.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    As far as I know, there are no real numbers on how many with the CF option, which was expensive at around $8500-9000. Over the dozen or so years I have owned mine, I have put together all the CF pieces except the LH door panel, some new and some from wrecked 575s.

Auraraptor likes this.
  22. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    You know that makes me wonder what the full factory option list for the 575 was.

I know there were some oddball all options, Such as a chrome air dam / intake which homagesthe 1960s era cars.

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We have option lists, but there were options not on the list, too, like diamond stitching on the leather rear shelf, and Superamerica leather panels on the console sides. The 250 GT style chrome grille was an option until Summer/Fall 2003, when it became standard.

Attached Files:

SteveVT likes this.
  24. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    Fantastic, thanks a lot for clarifying!! Never seen a car with that option before, makes it very interesting! It has as well the 250GT grille so a good optioned car from new...