575 Technical Thread | Page 54 | FerrariChat

575 Technical Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    One from me too, having checked the latest 575/SA VIN and Assembly list of yours but could not see it..
    Just saw this in UK. https://www.tomhartleyjnr.com/car/stock/2006/ferrari/575-superamerica/62930/

RHD, F1, Rosso Corsa
    VIN 146379
    Assy No 62930

Thanks
    PAUL

2. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    I’m still encountering issues with my recently acquired 575 so have decided to have a thorough check over and service.
    Any recommendations? I was thinking of Graypaul Notts or Joe Macari.
    Does anyone know if race seats would be lower than the standard seats and can be retrofitted ?
    Thanks

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jonty- Affirmative, the race seats can be retrofitted, but are NLA so hard to find. They do provide a bit of extra head room, but lack backrest adjustments, so a trade-off for tall drivers. Have not used a UK dealer since 1983 (Colchester), so best to get an answer from someone who still lives there.

JayCee500 likes this.
  4. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner
    Depends in part on what your issues are. You can be sure that the most expensive solution will come from a main dealer. For example, I had a problem with the aircon not coming on with my 575. Main dealer solution was a complete new HVAC panel (£3000) but fixed by my indie by a quick solder job on the switch for a minimal amount. If you are still having an oil pressure indication problem, and it's not the transmitter, the main dealer solution would likely be a new instrument panel - again very expensive and not necessary. However, some main dealers are now at least offering competitive labour rates. I can't offer a recommendation as I don't use them, but queries like this usually end up with a range of conflicting answers! Carrs in Exeter seems to be the only one getting consistently good reports.
    I think you will be exceptionally lucky to find any race seats. If you do, bear in mind that they come in three sizes S/M/L. I had some in Large and they were only just wide enough - and I am pretty skinny! I defer to Taz's superior knowledge on height, but they didn't seem much different to me.

JayCee500 likes this.
  5. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Thanks for the ideas.
    I’ve got the F dealer collecting tomorrow for a full check over and service.
    Last service was at HROwen Sep 2019 but it’s not impossible that some issues weren’t attended to.
    Due to the lockdown I’ve only driven about 20 miles and not garaged.
    The issues are ;
    I. About three inches of water in boot/trunk.
    ll. idling not right, very slight misfire. Oil pressure still seems high and variable , 4.5 - 10.
    lll. Interior constantly misting, literally condensation running down all windows and leather etc
    llll. Occasional lumps of degenerated foam from heater vents I’ve encountered this one before!)
    liv. Whilst idling with climate on high to clear moisture the background dash closure lights extinguished.
    V. Right hand side carpets very wet and seemed to be getting wetter as I attempted to remove moisture with climate on demist.
    Vl. Front right occasional strut noise (similar to when breaks bind after lack of use)
    Vll. Squealing brakes (encountered this in other Ferrari’s)
    Vlll. Headlights misted with moisture.
    Haven’t quite fallen out with the car yet as was the exact spec I had been searching for.
    However, due to Covid-19 it is the first Ferrari I’ve purchased without an inspection or from a main dealer.
    I didn’t expect the car to be perfect but I am a surprised to find so many niggles considering the very good exterior/interior condition and last 4 services with Carr’s,HROwen and Maranello.
    Any thoughts welcomed.

6. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner
    Well let's hope the dealer will be able to sort all this out.
    The water in the boot can only really be a leak and should be easy to identify - dry it out, apply hose, see where it's coming in!
    Oil pressure issue - you don't say if the sender was changed (first step) but it sounds to me like a gauge issue. Interested to hear what dealer recommends - see my previous response for the low cost solution, which could sort your dash illumination problem at the same time.
    Interior carpets could very well be blocked drain pipe on aircon - easy fix.
    Strut(?) noise - could be one of a number of things in steering suspension - ball joint, track rod end, roll bar drop link, top strut mounting
    Misfire - again can be a number of things - injectors, low battery
    Squealing brakes - have you got FHP?
    Headlights misting - not too difficult to dry them out
    Good luck!

7. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    I’m hoping not too painful as does appear to have a good service history.
    Went for a quick drive (needed milk!) and forgot about problems after the first mile.
    Yes does have FHP.

J

8. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner
    FHP = squealing brakes

JayCee500 likes this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My FHP brakes only squealed occasionally, but some apparently do much of the time. Brakes are now in a box in my garage, replaced by Mov'It CERs.

F456M likes this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How much for a set of Mov’it ceramics? I guess you have to change both front and rear at the same time? How do you know the right brake balance between front and rear? There is some kind of pressure sensor on the front and rear lines?

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- Probably around $20K if they would still do them. Sets of front only CERs work fine and I ran them that way for several years (FHP rears) until I got my rear CERs. You have to have 19" wheels to fit the 396 mm CERS and 6 piston calipers, but they do make smaller sizes. The transforms for the CERs are far superior to the early CCMs, so the rotors will pretty much last forever. Their current rotors are at least one generation better than the ones I have.

F456M likes this.
  12. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Terry - Any experience of the movit red or yellow pads?
    On a separate subject, can anyone recommend a particular cat5 plus tracker?
    I tried to have the one I had installed when I bought the car reactivated but they laughed when I said 2012!
    (It was then cobra which I believe is now Vodafone protect.)
    Tempted by tracker as they have unique VHF coverage.
    They don’t offer immobilisation but perhaps less to go wrong.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jonty- No experience with Mov'It pads except the ones on my ceramics. Paget makes Mov'Its pads using Mov'It's proprietary compounds, so they probably would work fine. Mine do not squeal, dust or do anything except provide more braking power than the tires can handle.

Why do you need a tracker? There is virtually no market for stolen Ferraris in the US, especially late models. With our alarm system, it is sometimes difficult to steal your own Ferrari. Not sure I want anything on mine extra that would drain more battery power, either.

According to the NHTSA, exactly zero 575Ms have been stolen in the US.

F456M likes this.
  14. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Terry, I’m going to see how things are looking after the thorough inspection. I do intend to use the 575 as my main car for as much as the year as possible.
    Insurance in the UK is short on logic and high on ambiguity and loopholes in the insurers favour.
    I have a 5.0 RRover, which are stolen regularly, without the need for a tracker and the lowest premium of any car I own?
    The tracker is a nonsense but a requirement of the policy. I’ve decided on one which is independent of the cars electrics or an alternative policy.
    Like you say Ferraris of this era don’t need further immobilisation!
    J

F456M likes this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jonty- Southeast UK, not southeast US, I get it now. For quite a while, Ferrari UK was actually installing trackers on all UK Ferraris. I am not sure what the theft rate on UK Ferraris is, but it is a lot easier to get one out of the UK than it is out of the US.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I really like the idea of trackers in cars and boats etc. Sometimes, you want your own car back and not a similar one. The big advantage of a tracker is that you see it moving right away, so the chase can start when occure, and not days later when you suddenly discover that your car is gone. Another thing is the satisfaction of having the thieves put in jail when they mess with your own property! I agree with you Terry, batteries drain is a big problem. I had my front battery changed this week! I have put a small switch inside the glove box to be able to switch the tracker charging on and off. It made a difference! Those tracker batteries last a long time, but needs to be kept maintained like any other battery. It also make them work a longer time if the car is being tracked.

JayCee500 likes this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Incidentally, my pads are Pagids, not Pagets. Must have been half asleep when I typed that.

I have been lucky on my 575M. She has not been on a battery maintainer for over 10 years with no problems. But she does get driven every week since she is my daily driver.

JayCee500 and F456M like this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    To drive it regularly is the best treatment to keep it healthy! I have had two «problems» by letting the car stay United for a long period of time while I had it in storage before over the winters, and that is that the turn signals dob’t work, and that the power steering is «hard» (sensor not working on the steering rack). But when driven regularly, I never have these problems. The 575 might be better in that, but that was my problem.

19. JayCee500

JayCee500 Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jonty
    Hi All,
    I thought I’d update you on my 575.
    (Last three services Aug 2018, 2nd year annual, Nov 2019 incl. belts and Sep 2020 oil/filter change, all at main dealers)

Sent to dealer to diagnose leaking boot and rhs footwell / irregular oil pressure gauge and cluster gauges not illuminated and all over check.
    The health check has found the following:
    Urgent: Investigate air bag warning light illuminated.
    All recommended but not urgent:
    Coolant -25, Ferrari spec -40, to change £425
    Both front air duct flexi pipes split £323
    Both front lower arm bushes cracking £620
    Boot wiring grommet incorrectly fitted. Refit - leak check.
    Leather on doors bubbling due to water ingress.
    Replace both blown rear speakers £339
    Both wing mirror gaskets £626
    Both door seals starting to go out of shape £2544
    (Haven’t had chance to discuss water ingress in cabin yet)
    headlamps full of condensation replace Lh gasket £127
    Brake pads all round 10mm
    Brake discs F - 31.5mm, R - 27.5m
    (All prices plus vat)

Are these prices reasonable, any parts easy to diy fit? and opinion on brakes and speaker replacements.
    Would the door seals starting to go out of shape cause rain ingress?
    Awaiting check on engine/transmission, instruments etc.

From long term F ownership I’m not surprised at number of faults but main priorities are drive worthiness and being water tight.
    Any thoughts/advice appreciated.
    J

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    JayCee, there is a DIY on this link starting with post 10 with regard to your air ducts. It appears you are in the UK. There must be a source there. The duct diameter you will need is 3.25 inches. Different versions of the hose are available from the source as well as orange or black. I chose the closest match.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/air-hoses-behind-front-bumper.438496/#post-142939109

Duct source (in USA)
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=air ducting

Additional option for your bushings.
    https://www.superformance.co.uk/v12m/

Bill
    FL

JayCee500 likes this.
  21. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner

JayCee500 likes this.
  22. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    2544 for two door gaskets.... That is too expencive. Yes I know they are rare and must be original, but they are rubber gaskets! Not a set of twelve pistons!

23. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Over the last couple of days I have been helping out with a friends 575M. A beautiful low mileage example.

However, we are having problems getting the car in gear due to the red bonnet/trunk open warning light. We have disconnected the front sensor in the bonnet and tried to short it with a paperclip to no avail. It seems to be the trunk posing the issue. We have tried opening and closing it, turning the master switch off and on several times and the red light keeps showing. I was wondering if some haa any tips? Should an open rear trunk prevent the car engaging gear? Seems strange, I thought it was only the bonnet that would prevent this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The switch needs to be disconnected, not shorted, to give the closed signal. Maybe you could create a new message thread to address this issue. I think this message thread is more for FAQs.

Attached Files: