599 Gearbox oil and F1 system oil | FerrariChat

599 Gearbox oil and F1 system oil

Discussion in '612/599' started by IcemanWlkp, Jun 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    I browse the manuals and see no mention of changing the gearbox oil. Is it changing or just topping up the oil? Interestingly, my F1 oil system changes every 30,000 km.
    What time or mileage should the oil in the gearbox be changed?

2. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well an f1 system is an automated manual so the same would apply

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    F1 system oil is separate from gearbox oil- its different fluid doing a different job, so no reason to expect it would be on the same schedule as F1 fluid.

575 and 612 workshop manuals have gearbox oil on a 2 year interval, which does seem a touch excessive for the mileage most people are doing. Interestingly I went through the 599 manual, which uses the same gearbox, and they don't seem to mention any scheduled gearbox oil replacement.

4. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner
    My handbook says change gearbox oil at 37500 miles and 75000 etc

brogenville likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  6. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    thx , am cant bay oil for gearbox SHELL TF 1055 is only on dealer ?

7. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner
    Any 75W90 transmission oil will do if Shell is unavailable.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Generally I agree. People here generally WAY overthink this stuff. Yes, a good quality oil but seriously. Drive it and have fun.

brogenville likes this.
  9. Dick_Darlington

BANNED

Jun 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dick Darlington
    GL5 additives destroy yellow gears, so this is bad advice.

10. Teejay

Teejay Rookie

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tim Jenner
    You are right. My bad wording for which apologies. What I meant was any 75W90 oil to same spec as Shell. Previous discussions here have gone for Motul Gear 300.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There are many LONG LONG threads here debating the pros and cons of GL4 vs GL5. Honestly, they never reach a consensus because both have advantages and disadvantages.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dick- Choice between synchros and rear end. No clear winner and Ferrari recommends GL5. Not cut and dried by any means.

Skidkid likes this.
  13. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    I found such oil is certified by Ferrari and Mercedes AMG. Changing the oil in the gearbox itself in the instructions looks quite good. And what about the fluid change in the F1 system, do you need a computer, specific hardware? Does this gearbox need to be taught to change gears? (My alpha had to be taught to change shoes every now and then with a special procedure and software)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Dick_Darlington

BANNED

Jun 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dick Darlington
    #14 Dick_Darlington, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    It's reasonable to assume that the Shell TF 1055 Ferrari transaxle oil has the correct additive balance, despite it being GL5. As you said, there's no clear winner. Using a random GL5 oil to save a few dollars is idiotic.

The Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90 should be fine for the F1 Graziano transaxle, even though it's for the Getrag DCT.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Synthetic GL-5s work fine if you cannot find the Shell product. Theoretically all GL-5s meet GL-4 specs, too, just with different additives to make them work on hypoid gears, some of which are not friendly with copper based synchros.

brogenville likes this.
  16. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    I just replaced mine with Motul 300V and gear changes are smoother, no idea what was in it before or when it was change last.

17. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    Hello, I reached 80,000 km, waiting for me to change the oil in the gearbox, for which I already have a service manual with the necessary parts:
    251638 x 1
    10261560 x 4
    10259960 x 2
    10259960 x 1
    10263460 x 1
    182119 x 1
    11199277 x 1
    14039614 x 1
    I have a question how to check if the filter for the box should be replaced, apparently in the first versions it was disposable, I have a 2009 car. Has it already used filte 251638, which only cleans?
    I can send the WIN number if it helps someone to check.
    The second thing is in the service manual that circulates around the forum, I do not see information or the procedure for replacing the hydraulic fluid for the F1 system.
    I found a schematic
    https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/ferrari/599/oe/29/2713/50473
    Unfortunately, I do not have instructions on how to replace this fluid (F1 system), except for the information provided by 1 liter. Does anyone have instructions for replacing this fluid, how to bleed the system after replacement, do you need a computer for this and an adaptation procedure?
    Best regards to everyone and I would be grateful for any information.

18. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    Sorry, I can't edit, In the manual I found information about the F1 system of the 1L Shell DONAX TX or Shell SPIRAX S4 ATF HDX gearbox.

19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    my dealer wont replace the f1 fluid for the actuator (hydraulic) they say leave it as it can cause issues

20. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    So what is such a fluid eternal? Is it necessary to intervene only in the case of missing extractors?

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michael- Find someone else to service her. Hydraulic fluid wears, gets dirty, absorbs water, etc. That is why we change brake fluid frequently. US 599 maintenance schedule:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My advice would be to find a new service provider.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  23. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I totally agree that the fluids must be changed per Taz's chart or even more often. These cars have pumps that stress/wear both fluids. My 8Kmi 599 had dark gear oil and F1 fluid. The job is somewhat involved because the F1 reservoir is very hard to access, the transaxle must be raised off of the mounts to get the gearbox screen out, the cooler lines must be disconnected and cleaned and the cooler should be removed so it can be properly cleaned out. I do most of these types of jobs myself and have the tools and scanner, but gladly paid about $1K to a great indy in Naples to do the work.

24. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    Gearbox oil is not a problem. The problem is the hydraulic fluid of the F1 system I do not have a computer bleeding and learning tool. Hence my question, is it possible to change the hydraulic fluid in the F1 (1l) system by myself.
    How to go about it, how to drain the fluid and bleed air after refilling. I do not see any mention of this in the service manual.
    The car is 80,000 km long and the fluid has not been changed before.

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As described, use a turkey baster to pull out a bunch of fluid. Then refill and drive a bit. Then do it again. After a couple of rounds it will be almost completely new fluid.