599 HGTE retrofit values versus factory fit | FerrariChat

599 HGTE retrofit values versus factory fit

Discussion in '612/599' started by 599_GTO, Jul 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi guys,

I am looking at a 599 which has the HGTE package retrofitted. What are people’s thoughts on this? Should I be paying less than a similar condition factory fitted HGTE? What about future value? Will this always be looked upon as a car that was “customized” by a dealer rather than properly factory configured? Should I be holding out for the “real deal”?

Thanks all!

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Should be paying less and future value will be less ..that being said sometimes a good value

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Factory HGTE is only 2010 and you aren't likely to find a 2010 that is retrofitted to HGTE; That means there will always be a year difference. There were different degrees of retrofit as well. Full up (but no seat or tach face replacement) was a little over $42K, most didn't do all of that. That means there is a spread on the retrofitted cars as well and you have to ask what was done. There is likely to be a difference in price and you may never find a 2010 HGTE with the colors you want; how flexible are your color and option choices? AND you probably won't find a factory HGTE as a "good deal", particularly if it is in a desirable color; there are just too few of them around for that to be likely. Personally, I say get the car and drive. Have fun. worry about it later.

SonomaRik likes this.
  4. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Dominick, John, thank you both for the very sound advice. I need to investigate what exactly was done during the retrofit. It sounds like I should be paying less than a factory HGTE and selling for less but probably having as much fun!

5. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    There will always be a price / value difference since factory-optioned HGTE cars were only available as 2010 and 2011 US models, whereas dealer-retrofitted HGTE cars can be either 2007 (post VIN 155xxx), 2008 or 2009 models. I believe there might've been a total of only 200 or so factory HGTE cars imported to the US for 2010 and 2011 model years. Though in the EU and the Middle East, there were still a few early 2012 HGTE cars sold alongside the final Alonso and Gonzales livery versions.

John is also correct in saying that retrofitted cars have a variety of HGTE parts installed and some omitted due to prohibitively expensive costs, eg, leather/alcantara/CF Recaro sport seats. The stabdard white tach dial was not de riguer on factory HGTE cars; owners had an option to select/preorder whichever other color they preferred versus white. I've seen several 2010 /2011 factory HGTE cars with either yellow or red tach dials; I have yellow in my car!

I'm probably one of the few who's owned an early 2007 GTB replaced later by a 2011 HGTE in Rosso Corsa / Beige leather - black Alcantara interior so I can relate their differences. In my technical opinion and seat-of-the pants experiences between the two cars, the factory HGTE models are better or superior in their behavior as far as quicker handling, less harsher ride, marginally improved F1 gear speed changes (85ms vs 100ms in Race mode), and dare I say, reliability. I believe that as the 599 moved through the model years, Ferrari improved on most of the problem items as reported in earlier cars without any announcement.

Although the early 2007 car had less mileage @ 13.5k miles and was in-like new external condition (driven 1.3k mi/yr) when it became mine (it was previously owned by actor / comedian / filmmaker Tyler Perry). However after a few months of my driving, the car suffered from many niggling or persistently annoying issues, eg, major engine stumbling when cold, squeaky bearing in the transaxle, rode very harshly on Challenge wheels with PZero tires (replacement Michelin SuperSports improved its ride). Since it had a VIN of 151xxx, it was also not a candidate for dealer-installed HGTE options other than maybe the wheels and exhaust tips.

The 2011 HGTE had more relative mileage @ 18.5k miles when I got it in early January this year (driven 2.5k mi/yr). It's the 599 I should have gotten in the first place. I was wary at first but Ferraris that are driven more miles per year and serviced regularly per OM recommendations seem to have much less or no problems as compared to garage queens, so don't be afraid of relatively higher mileage cars.

If you're seriously on the hunt, there's a ME delivered HGTE with manufacture date of Apr 2012 in Rosso Corsa / Black currently listed on Hemmings Motor News and apparently had been updated and federalized to meet US EPA/DOT laws for 50 state use. Similar fully optioned factory HGTE cars typically command $185-225k with lower mileage. This one's got less than 9k miles as listed by a dealer in Raleigh NC for $154.5k which seems to be a nice bargain but since I don't know the car and I'm not affiliated at all with the dealer/seller, caveat emptor! An extra cost third party PPI by a Ferrari 599 expert will be mandatory IMHO!

6. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi Jose,

I can't thank you enough for your thoughts here... this is incredibly valuable.
    I am going to find out the extent of the retrofit... and see if this is all documented. Certainly the seats are Daytonas and the tach is in yellow so two options that weren't ticked.

Regarding the ride, it seems that the HGTE isn't revolutionary over the GTB but rather evolutionary... I suppose that's reasonable to expect. But the reliability of the later model is certainly something to consider. I am not sure I can expect the same however as the car I am looking at is a 2008 model in any case.

The Hemmings car will be a good benchmark, despite the fact that ME cars tend to be less appreciated IMHO.
    I am also based in Europe so it won't be the car for me.

Thanks again for all the advice here... safe and spirited driving to everyone!

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some owners did not like the HGTE seats and specified the Daytonas with their factory HGTEs. At least one FChatter did that. Easily checked by having your nearest Ferrari dealer pull a build or option sheet from MODIS.

Auraraptor likes this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My car has dealer installed HGTE (I have the receipts, that is how I know the original cost). I have CF seats but not HGTE seats, I like them a lot and have no desire to change. I love the looks of the HGTE wheels; I have the thinner spoke. My car is 2008 and while I have only had it about a year, It hasn't been any trouble. If the car has a few miles, they have been mostly sorted by now so I wouldn't stress that too much about 2009 vs 2008.

9. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Terry, John, thanks for the further advice... that all makes a lot of sense. Will keep you posted on how the story ends. All the best, J

10. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    JS, you're quite welcome and I'm certainly glad I can be of assistance to you in providing sound advise and info. That's what this forum is all about and that's the main reason why I joined.

Terry is correct that not all factory HGTE cars were spec'd with the Recaro sport seats featuring leather/Alcantara/CF combo. Some owners even had the normal embroidered "Handling GTE" script deleted from the seat, as mine was also.

The most expensive HGTE I ever saw in past ads when I was searching late last year was a 2010 model in Argento Silverstone with a very unique special order medium tobacco brown leather interior and Daytona seats. That combo interested me quite a bit, except for its asking price of US$249.9k since it only had 4.8k miles. I thought it was an amazingly attractive, classic color combo but the price was bordering on asking prices for early F12's. It stayed on that dealer's site for months until they dropped the price down to US$225k and I assume it finally sold.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jose- Likely either Argento Nurburgring (silver) or Grigio Silverstone (dark gray metallic).

FIN612 likes this.
  12. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Right you are, Terry. It was Grigio Silverstone. Scusa la mia confusione. :D

jljjlj likes this.
  13. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Gents, such a lot of great advice here. Prices in Europe are a little weaker for the 599 at the moment and prices are around 100K - 150K Euros for very good cars. As many have discussed before, I don’t think these cars are going to dip any further. Have a great weekend everyone!

Modena_2003 likes this.
  14. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Good HGTE's with factory fitted parts are selling for a lot more. Rarity values.

FIN612 likes this.
  15. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Phil, that’s not my experience in the UK or German market at the moment. Prices have softened considerably IMHO

635CSI likes this.
  16. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    There are 10 currently on pistonheads over £130K

17. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Won’t argue with you Phil but many of those have indeed been on PH for over 6 months including the factory HGTE with 5000 miles for 129K GBP. I definitely agree that the best cars will command a premium

18. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
  19. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Same story in France where prices dropped recently considerably. the reason I presume is a new tax of 500 € per fiscal hp, with a maximum of 8000 € which is the case for 599's. And this tax is ANYTIME the car is purchased, even if it is every 6 months !

20. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    That is for new cars though isn't it?

21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #21 635CSI, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Lets be honest, the UK market at least, is soft for modern classic Ferrari.
    In that situation rarity will help preserve value (so a good factory HGTE has at least a chance of attracting a bid) but i think the days of 180 K 599 HGTE and the 180 K 575 M manual are over. The dealers have a lots of stock that isn't moving, and a lot of money tied up in it.
    While not good for speculators and dealers , that isn't a bad thing for enthusiasts.

22. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Unfortunately not, for used cars ! that means also you got to pay hefty tax for American muscle cars with big engine and less value than Ferraris !

23. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Don't tell the UK chancellor, that is a tax he is currently missing out on then!

24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

"Ferraris that are driven more miles per year and serviced regularly per OM recommendations seem to have much less or no problems as compared to garage queens, so don't be afraid of relatively higher mileage cars."

Jose has really got it right with this statement. The 599 needs to be used regularly, and I don't mean stop and go traffic driving. With correct regular service the car is totally awesome.

Zaza and 599_GTO like this.
  25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    As someone that buys mainly depreciated "special" cars, when looking breifly at 599s I only considered factory HGTEs and manual shift cars. At the time manual cars were selling for the same price as F1s. I watched the market for years and was literaly bidding on the manual car that broke that market before it went nuts. A month late. IMO only buy a factory HGTE.

599_GTO likes this.