599 Leaking Oil - both Valve Cover gaskets are starting to leak | FerrariChat

599 Leaking Oil - both Valve Cover gaskets are starting to leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by denfpal, May 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Does anyone know of a way to fix valve cover gaskets that are starting to leak. F Dealer estimate to remove top of engine and replace gaskets at $3,700 + tax - they say 2 full days in the shop - does this seem reasonable? Car is a 2008 with just under 9k miles - since the tech is "in there" is this a good time to replace the spark plugs and/or do anything else while the top of the engine is off? Is there any type of, say, oil additive or product that will serve to swell/seal the valve cover gaskets and stop the leakage without conversely negatively effecting the engine - please advise - thanks Dennis

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Try tightening the valve cover bolts. Your mileage may vary but you'll be surprised how effective that simple procedure can be in stopping oil seeping out of the valve cover. In my case (456GT) some of the bolts were barely hand-tight.

As for the spark plugs, the top of the engine certainly doesn't need to be off to replace them: the skill required to replace a set of spark plugs is very minimal and if you know how to change a light bulb you probably change the spark plugs yourself. Ferrari or not, in the end it's just an engine.

TODDZTR likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hmm, from the look of the top of the engine, quite a bit of stuff has to come out to get to the valve covers. I think the 2 full days may be excessive but I can easily see one whole day for very sure.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's a good tip, however, if this is a rubber gasket and the cover has positive stops, that's not going to help. But, I don't know the specifics of the 599 motor.

5. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Thank you all - as you can see, it's virtually impossible to get to about 1/2 of the valve cover bolts to try to tighten them without taking the whole top if the engine off. I see Lucas Oil makes an additive that has good reviews for stopping oil leaks, but I'm not sure about using an additive product like this in this engine. Was hoping there's a product that someone here has experience with that works by possibly swelling the gaskets a little bit. I think the slippery synthetic oil manages to find its way to any area that is not just perfectly tightened down. If the oil leaks are minor, is it OK to drive the car...just wondering if oil gets on the headers is this a potential fire hazard? I have not smelled any oil burning coming from the engine compartment. F Dealer says the leaks are minor at this point. Dennis

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I replaced the variator solenoids on both banks because oil was seeping through the wiring connectors. Valve covers had to come off. Lots of stuff had to come off first. 12 hour job by 599 factory trained technician. ‘09 599 with 16K miles.

7. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Can you tell me what variator solenoids are/do and approx. how many and how much these parts list for? While tech is "in there" I'd like to due any other reasonable preventive maintenance as well since most of the cost to replace the valve cover gaskets in pure labor - the gaskets are inexpensive - thanks. Honestly, I hate the thought of having the whole top off the engine taken off. Say it takes 12 hours to do the job - $200 per hour = $2,400 and the gaskets are about $150 = so say $2,550 total - the F Dealer is quoting $3,700, which seems rather high?

Also, need to replace the 4 tires - want to go with Michelin Super Sports - M makes the fronts in 245-35ZR-20, but not the backs in 305-35ZR-20. The 599 GTO uses 315's in the rear (they are about 1/2 inch wider than the 305's) - M makes the 315 in Super Sport - is it OK to go to 315's on the 599 GTB and will the clearance be OK in the rear fender wells, etc.? - any possible adverse quirks with the using the 315's?

8. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Why don't you go to a well know private shop, likely be a lot cheaper for the hourly rate!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Don't know anyone that works on these cars privately, and have always gone to the F Dealer with this car - any recommendations - I'm located in Broward County, FL

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is the guy you need:

Matt Burns
    (954) 328-2089

[email protected]

Exotic Performance Engineering
    10788 SW 188th Street
    Miami, FL 33157

Cirorsi likes this.
  11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    315 Michelins will work w/o any problem.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, lots of folks running MPSS tires in 315/35 20. Unfortunately, the MPSS replacement, the Pilot Port 4S, is not available in 305/35 20 or 315/35 20.

13. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    My totally trusted indy technician's billed time to r/r the intake manifold on the 456GT = 3 hours - actually I've seen him do it and it isn't rocket science. Replacing the valve cover gaskets can't take that much longer. Just sayin'

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It may not be rocket science but it requires a high attention to detail like many other things Ferrari. So few lack that simple ability to pay attention at your expense. Unfortunately, often ineptness allows the inept to charge you to fix their mistake.

Skidkid likes this.
  15. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The variator solenoids are part of the system that adjusts the valve timing. There is one for each cam. They were about $630 each. I run 315s on rear of my 599

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Don't do that.

Enzojr likes this.
  17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If they are leaking, replace them.

It's a pretty involved job, count on a full day if the tech has done it before. Fitting the cover without disturbing the gasket as it goes under the cowel, is a trick because of the 1/2 moon portion of the gasket that can catch on the rear most cam caps and displace the gasket. If not careful the job will have to be done again.

It's a fiddly job the does require some patients and a bit of forethought. Don't add stop leak. It will not help. The gasket has gone hard and turned to almost plastic.

18. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Seep or leak? Will it wet your finger or just grime it? Anything on floor? No oil burning smell? How much have you lost?
    Oil is cheap.
    Most gaskets will seep a little over time, particularly at low spots.
    If you clean it off with a rag, how long does it take to come back enough to wet a finger?
    Again, oil is cheap.
    That two grand will epoxy paint the garage floor. You can wipe off a small oil spot weekly.
    Is it getting on a wiring junction and causing electrical issues?
    Oil is cheap.

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The problem is, the oil will leak on to the exhaust and create a smell and a bit of smoke, which will get into the cabin. Because of the high under good temps, the rubber will get brittle and hard. The leak will only get worse along with the smell and smoke. If allowed to get bad enough..it could become a fire hazard. Also consider the mess it will make of the underside of the engine..never mind the garage floor.

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You both make very good points. How many Ferrari's seep a tad bit of oil? Most probably would not be an over statement. The amount and location will likely dictate the action plan.