599 owners....make an argument for your car | FerrariChat

599 owners....make an argument for your car

Discussion in '612/599' started by ross, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i was thinking about this car recently and how it might fare over the next few years.
    i drove it at the factory when it came out and it struck me as too big. potent, but too big.
    now i have been thinking about maybe selling my 430 and getting into a 599, just to change things up.
    so i started reading reviews, looking at youtube reviews, and the stats, and after a week of that, i have concluded i dont actually want the car. it does not appear to be as good as the figures would have you believe, and it doesnt seem to be worth switching from the 430 even.

BUT, i do not know the car like an owner would. nor am i attached to it, like an owner might be.
    so, all you owners out there, tell me why its such a great car, and why i should consider it.

2. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

I too have been interested in adding a 599, and would like to read responses.

Mike

Caphill likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    crinoid likes this.
  4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  5. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    I owned a 430 before getting this car. I don’t drive this much but when I do, it puts a great big smile on my face. The 430, of course, did the same but this is just different. A big GT car which reminds me of my M6 but turns heads everywhere you go whereas my M6 didn’t get a second glance. The 430 looks like a Ferrari according to a lot of people I’ve polled but to a Ferrari enthusiast, the 599 is the “pure” Ferrari. Plus, it’s exceedingly rare compared to the 430. If you’re not sure, don’t buy one and just stay in the 430. A true 599 buyer is rabid about them and will go crazy until they have one in the garage.

Automoblog likes this.
  6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    okaaaaay ! finally a reply from an owner! thanks.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What do you want to do with it?

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

One thing that I truly love about the car is that around town it is very well mannered without a screaming exhaust. Take it out on the highway, put your foot down and watch the lights come on at the stop of the steering wheel, the exhaust valves open and you know the car is a monster. It's like two cars in one. It also happens to be incredibly beautiful.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    always a good question.
    i dont really track any ferrari anymore, and dont believe i will do so unless i get a purpose built track car.
    so that part is moot.
    i will likely use it as a gt car - which is what it is made for, even moreso than the 430.

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so how many were made?

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Enzo V12 engine stuffed into the front of a car. That idea was nuts at the time. It has styling that changed automotive design forever with its flying buttresses by Pininfarina no less. Pure and elegant as well as masculine. I don’t own one however have driven one. It was wonderful.

LVP488, Caphill, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  12. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    It sounds like it's to late, you have made your mind up and wrote the car off. I moved from the 360 to the 599 with no regrets other than I wish I could have both, the 360 for the quick burst of adrenalin and the 599 for the long drives of pure pleasure. Both totally different cars. The 360 I could drive for a few hours then have to stop for a break, the 599 I'll drive all day if needed. I looked at the 430 but decided the 599 was more of a move forward in terms of tech with a style that is timeless and I think age's quite well. It also fits in with my plans to tour europe and drive down to Italy which I don't think I could manage in the 360 (me and the other half are the wrong end of our 60's). Then throw in a V12 and it's done and dusted for me. That noise from a screaming V12 is so adictive, the performance is on another level along with the comfort which is much improved compared to the 360. I don't thinks the 599 is too big, 41mm wider, 153mm longer 430. I think it's more to do with being sat further back from the front.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Then I would say it's a great choice. An F12 is probably even a better choice, but it really comes down to preference.

crinoid likes this.
  14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #14 ridege55, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I have both an F430 and a 599. The 2 cars are really different and it depends on what you are looking for. When I go out for spirited drives with other owners, I will always choose the F430. I love the handling and nimbleness of it. For longer drives and straighter lines, I will always take the 599. I don’t really care for the handling (I have non HGTE), but LOVE that V12. Nothing beats the sound, torque, and acceleration of that V12, however the handling does feel floaty compared to the F430.

Between the 2 cars, the 599 does feel more special to me. Don’t know why and it is purely subjective. The lines of the body are timeless and seem more elegant, and it really does solicit more responses from people than the F430. I think having a V12 is also a unique thing. I do get the occasional “is that a California”, but whatever. I think it is a win win with choosing between the two, but it really depends on what you plan on doing. I drive both cars and don’t let them sit as garage queens.

15. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Quite tough to reply you as these two cars are really different. The 430 is a super machine but nothing like the V12 which gives you such a pleasure that I will never change. It is true I drive Ferrari V12 since 1983 and never had a smaller one. In meetings, they do not consider it as a sports car usually but as a GT. But when they come with me they are so surprised by the torque than they change their way of thinking towards this car. I got the sports and the comfort together, the 430 cannot offer you that. Now if you do track days every month, do not buy a 599 but you drive a lot, 599 is for you. 17 000 kms last year and happier every time !

Autobahn-Outlaw and G. Pepper like this.
  16. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Sorry, I replied before to read above phrase, so reply even more obvious !

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I moved 360 to 599. I was concerned about the move because I loved my 360. Having said that, I haven't looked back. The 599 is a gentleman and a monster all at the same time. It is comfortable enough that the wife has taken a nap when we were on the way to Monterey (more than once). When you get it out for a spirited drive it is well planted and has more power than you can possibly use. The sounds are different too in that the 599 has an authoritative bark and the 360 has a distinct scream. As noted, the mid engine is more nimble and is really fun to drive BUT it is very low and the doors are long so ingress/egress and parking are a challenge at times. The 599 is much more civilized and ingress/egress is relatively easy; this becomes more important as you get a little older. I can easily get in/out of the cars but one is just nicer. When you drive the 599 is distinctly feels special. It is the only car I have owned that I really felt was so special I wanted to be SUPER careful with it; the 360 was great but just didn't feel the same. The 360 draws more attention, the 599 is understated but get attention from anyone in the know about cars, not just from every passer bye. The 430/360 is a pure sports car and the 599 is a GT. They both fill their slot well.

From your description I would say you will love the 599. It takes a little while to really get the feel for the car but it is really great.

18. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    When you like the Ferrari's of the 60s era the 599 is what they we're aiming for. When you drive it you feel like Enzo would know your name. It really is that special and beautiful and screams drama.. it's fast but not a racecar. It's build for taking you on hollidays. Never driven a 430 though but to me it's too track inspired. The 599 seems more mature. I guess if you hesitate it's not the car for you. When you like it you know it i don't think you can grow into Loving it

*599GTB* and 599_GTO like this.
  19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 599 is a magnificent beast - power, style, a real masterpiece with impressive and unsuspected abilities.
    The V12 is to die for, and even on a track it could give many cars a run for their money.
    I replaced it by the 488 because it was a bit too heavy for the tracks, but I still have the deeper respect for the 599 (I know many would disagree here - but I would never consider a 458 to replace a 599, the 458 feels so underpowered...)

20. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Ross, it seems you have a very eclectic collection. Given the 512s in your stable, you surely know the allure of the V12 personally. And with an F40, you will know firsthand what Motorama was saying about feeling like you have a connection with Enzo with some of the more special cars, and they don’t come much more special than the F40. That’s how I feel about my 599s and I have a couple of them, and interestingly it’s how I feel about my 612 too. Forgive me but I find the 430 an extremely plain car that really hasn’t aged so well.... much like the 360. I just don’t think the V8s survive the test of time. Timeless elegance is what the 599 and its derivatives will give you and I really think they will improve and will become more and more appreciated as the years go by. They are also probably about as low as they will ever go from a price point perspective and have in fact already upturned in value in Europe... no more bargain 599s if anyone was lucky enough to have ever got such a thing. Being part of the Ferrari family, it really is hard to go wrong with any Prancing Horse but I frankly thing you would be extremely happy with the 599... many of our friends here have made the change and seem like they haven’t looked back. Good luck.... it’s a nice conundrum to have!

Modena_2003, *599GTB* and crinoid like this.
  21. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I would also add that my 2008 599 has many similar characteristics to my 2007 S550 4matic. I feel like the 599 is very well made.

22. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I lust after a 599. I realize the mid engined cars are more exciting in some ways and better for canyon drives/tracking but I catch myself mostly wanting to go on long drives and road trips. The V12s shine there. Depending on your budget, you can get an F12 for around 200k and up. I'm not sure if the 200k F12s are abused or not but it's worth knowing. The only complaint I have on the 599 is the F1 transmission and its reliability.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The F1 on the 599 is brilliant. It engages SUPER fast and the shifts are seamless. No, it isn't a double clutch gearbox but that is part of the charm and what gives it a driving experience different than a DD.

24. Patrnflyr

Patrnflyr Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Lubbock, TX
    To add to my previous post up above, I really didn't care for the "front on" view of the 430. Those big cooling ports just never looked right to me compared to the rest of the car. Guess that's why I liked the look of the Scuderia more. The 599 front end looks better planned out and easier to design since the engine was up front vs the mid engine.

25. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    If a black on black HGTE is good enough for Satan, its good enough for you.
    Oh you hadn't heard?
    What else could he possibly drive ?

Makuono likes this.