599... Porsche PCCM 1DIN | FerrariChat

599... Porsche PCCM 1DIN

Discussion in '612/599' started by Monkey__87, Sep 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monkey__87

Monkey__87 Rookie

Jul 12, 2022
    Hello --

Longtime lurker and appreciate so many of your posts. I just bought a 599 and thinking about the radio. I saw a post from 2019 where someone had update the radio with the Porsche PCCM (Classic radio) unit, which seems to fit in very nicely and looks OEM. -- the new PCCM system has CarPlay build in, which is a major perk.

Does anyone know the procedure to installing this unit into the 599? -- Very curious and keen to get all the details.

Are there any other systems out there that anyone recommend that look OEM, fit behind the flap etc?

Very curious.

All best,

Mark

2. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
    Mark
    I have not done this my self but I did install one on my old Porsche, it should not be very difficult the Classic Porsche radio has the same connectors as the Becker radio. I was considering doing it myself but don’t like the idea of have a radio in my Ferrari that has the name Porsche and the Porsche shield on the Home Screen.
    I kept the Becker radio and added a iphone connector it is not as good as having CarPlay but it works fine.
    My 2cents.
    Johnny

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I think I saw a post a few years back when the Porsche classic radio was first introduced by someone who had changed the home screen's Porsche shield to a Ferrari. They also simply covered up the Porsche logo on the actual radio with black vinyl or tape.

Did the Porsche classic radio come with a USB card or something which might contain the firmware? You could see if the image file for the Porsche logo is there and can be replaced.

4. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I added the Porsche Classic Radio to my 599 several years ago. The installation was not difficult and was installed by Marty at Custom Mobile Electronics in Novato, CA. The "Porsche" logo was painted / airbrushed over and looks fine. A downside of the radio is it will not communicate with the Becker CD changer in the trunk. Not a big deal for me as I prefer satellite / XM radio.

5. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    I installed the Alpine ILX unit a year or so ago, we do a lot of mileage (10k+ PA) so having the larger screen works great for us.

Attached Files:

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sorry, I HATE those pop out, fold up displays. I would rather blue a bobble head to the hood.

7. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Each to their own, but its not a pop out fold up one, its a fixed unit in a single din slot & is magnificent for my needs, and if people didn't share their Ferrari ownership experiences & mods due to comments like yours, this place would be poorer for all. :)

Autobahn-Outlaw likes this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I think you misunderstood. I am perfectly good with you doing the mod. I was only intending to say that it isn't for me personally. Similarly, 95% of the time I hate black wheels on a car (there are a few exceptions). IE: they aren't for me. But I am happy for anyone who likes them.