599 Secret Launch Control | FerrariChat

599 Secret Launch Control

Discussion in '612/599' started by YellowF50, Oct 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    As most will of seen in the latest edition of Top Gear, and Jeremy Clarksons report on the 599, showing the secret launch setting (see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSqQyZSVxU ).

I wondered if anybody already knew of this, and more importantly does it make a difference, and is the difference noticable ?

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Is it just a back door for US owners that don't get the LC button?

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Seems like it! :p:p

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I've seen the video before but I watched it again. Man a live he beats the you know what out of that car. I have got to go the track right now.

5. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Have any of you 599 guys who are previous 575 owners tried this? If so, does that launch control trick work in a U.S. 575 car that does not have the European launch for various legal reasons. Sure would hate to do any real damage trying that trick at the end of my driveway tomorrow morning.

6. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I'd be afraid to do it.

"Transmission Failure" to me means........Transmission failure...

A little risky I'd say.

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It works, but it eats your clutch at a prodigious rate. I believe you won't get more than 6 LC launches before you need a a new clutch. Of course you don't necessarily need to rev to 4,000 rpm before you release the brake either. 2,000 should do the trick almost as well with much less clutch wear.
    The 599 is just as much fun in sport mode simply nailing the throttle and letting it shift itself a couple of hundred revs short of redline. The shifts are so unbelievably fast you can't properly process them in your mind. The best place to do this is on a sunday morning on a long, preferably downhill freeway on-ramp when there is no-one else around. Check your mirrors for the law and then let it rip. If there is no officer behind you on the ramp the likelihood of being stopped for speeding on a freeway entry ramp is virtually zero. This car gets to 100MPH in less than 7 seconds and keeps on accelerating through that number as if it is being propelled by a rocket. You literally have to lean on the brakes as you merge with the freeway to get down down to 85MPH and blend with any traffic that might be there.

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Watching the Stig's lap it looked like all the smoke at the start came from the clutch not the tyres :eek:

Fou, I've never tried the Launch Control on my 575, there isn't an LC button and the procedure is not in the manual although I've seen it described on the Internet

9. istanl

istanl Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Evo magazine used this method either earlier this year or late last year when they were getting performance figures with the car. They had a bunch of Ferrari engineers who told them this. Wouldn't be suprised if Top Gear got the info from the article. Top Gear get the press car to test, right?

10. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I can hear the recorded conversation for "customer satisfaction and training" with my insurance company as I call from the side of the road with my clutch aflame and car in the ditch.............."but sir, Jeremy says it works".......

11. simpleton7890

simpleton7890 Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Global
    i dont think they do, i think they fell out with ferrari and can only use private cars nowadays. hence the 599 report being so late and the 430 scuderia report non existant this series.

12. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interestingly, the method described:

* Race Mode
    * Hold left paddle for 2+ secs
    * (Transmission light briefly flashes to confirm engagement)

works on an 07 F430 Spider.

13. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
    didn't appear as though he was wearing a seatbelt... tsk tsk

lol

14. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    #14 MarkCollins, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 599 used is one of Ferrari UK's car hence the registration number V12 FGB (F)errariGB

pics of the same car from the baton run earlier this Year
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    VERY interesting! too bad my 03 575 does not have a race mode. All I have is Sport and can turn the ASR off.

16. F430dreamer

F430dreamer Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Full Name:
    Daniel J Wendell
    Boy tell me if its me being an ediot but hes a bad driver! I mean does he know how to go through a corner without drifting? I mean seriosly if you are going for lap times you DO NOT want to slide... It seems all the drivers on top gear do that.

17. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    575 LC instructions (from Car&Driver)

Ferrari fitted F1-equipped 575Ms with a launch-control system. This system automatically adjusts clutch engagement and throttle position to give the 575M the best possible standing-start getaway. All the driver has to do is turn off the traction control, put the adjustable suspension in the sport mode, hold the brake, bring the revs to about 5250 rpm (peak torque point), and release the brake.

18. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze

As I understand it, launch was not available on US spec 575s because of legal liability issues. I get this info per December 2002 Car and Driver Magazine 575 review. That is the reason I asked about the sneaky left paddle method in earlier post.

19. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Has anybody tried this other version of the launch control, or is it the same as pre set one, only, from them the video jeremy reacts to the secret launch as though it is quicker.

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Jeremy, on a very good day, is a buffoon. Other days, not that good.
    Launch control in the 599, however you activate it is essentially the same sequence of events programmed to happen when you set it up - foot on the brake, rev to mid 3's, release the brake and bury the throttle. You will take off with the absolute minimum of wheelspin and maximum traction. You will also destroy 15% of your clutch life. Maybe Mr. Clarkson believed he had entered some secret door to the elite acceleration club using the manual select sequence instead of the LC button, which gets you to the identical point where you can put your feet on the brake and throttle at the same time.

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    ok, so whats the difference between the secret launch control, and a proper launch control? :confused:

22. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I watched that a week or so ago. He really drives the heck out of that car. Watched it so many times but it never gets old.

23. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    In Non US cars that have a LC button, you put your foot on the brake and hold the button until "L" flashes in the gear indicator window. The "manual method is to pull both paddles to go to "N", then hold the down paddle until you hear a beeping sound, the indicator should display L in non US cars, or you will just hear the beep in US cars.
    I personally believe that LC is overrated and is just a shortcut to faster clutch wear. The best way for way to accelerate rapidly in the 599 is to put the car in sport mode and press the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there. The car will accelerate very smoothly and will burp through the gearshifts on its own just short of redline while you hold onto the steering wheel for dear life. It is a hellava rush and I can't imagine being any faster using LC, but then again I am feeling the sensations completely independently of any timing or measuring device - just me and the car and the sensory input I get through the seat of my pants. It's plenty good enough for me.

24. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav

+1

25. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze