News

6 spd manual QP 4.2

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by sevminasyan, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Must see the interview we did with Piero Ferrari in Maranello! https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/news/297
  1. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good evening all

Wanted to get the idea out there and see if anyone knows enough about the 07-13 Masi QP engine dimensions and possibility of a manual tranny being retrofitted to it. I know the engine is a variant of ferrari f430 with reworked internals for longevity but more interested to see what options I have hooking up a manual gearbox to it.
    The ZF unit is being used in variety of other vehicles such as astons, jaguars, fords, etc.

Any info or expertise contact would be appreciated

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Seems like it would be possible. The Maserati GT and Spider were available with a 6-speed manual. I don't know of anyone doing a conversion though.

3. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where those based on the 430 block also? If so the bolt pattern may work

4. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    I have no direct knowledge of the cars, but I did find references indicating the GT4200 has a transaxle like the early QP V. It was also available with the cambio corsa option which, like the DuoSelect and Ferrari F1, is a manual transmission and clutch operated by electronics and hydraulics. If all that adds up, it might be even easier to convert an early QP V by finding or fabricating clutch and shift linkage for the existing front clutch and rear transaxle. The ECU for a DuoSelect car probably expects to communicate with the transmission controller, so you might need to have a friend in the business reprogram the ECU for a manual GT.

5. staatsof

staatsof Five Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Hiddin' in da garden
    Full Name:
    Boo
    Not until the 07 MY did that engine have an actual transmission mounted to the bell housing and that was a ZF automatic. Otherwise it had a torque tube connected to a transaxle at the rear which was either a 6spd manual or the F1/duoselect. I don't think the QPV itself ever had a manual there though? That was only the early 4200 coupes. If your goal is to insert a 6spd manual on QPV that might be quite a tough job.

6. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thank u all for the input

7. fmmechanic

fmmechanic Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    j b
    The easiest way I can think of is:
    Get a duoselect MY07 (only year with auto duoselect) and convert from parts from a 575 for the shifter. The release bearing and shaft would also need to be changed. The problem is that this is Sofast 3, so errors would most likely show

8. F456M

F456M Formula 3

Jan 8, 2010
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The cambiocorsa and manual are probably both the same manual box. At least on 575s, they are the same even if they have a manual clutch. Get the equipment you need from a crashed Coupe GT ( manual ). Are you converting a duoselect car to become manual or are you putting the engine into something else?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat