612 battery problem | FerrariChat

612 battery problem

Discussion in '612/599' started by dell550, Oct 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    My question is how long can you park a 612 without turning the battery masterswitch off and the battery still hold charge ? I have a problem in that my newly aquired car is fine if driven every day - even if the journey is in bad traffic with heaters , AC , lights , audio system and wipers running but if I leave it for 3 days the battery is flat . The battery is good and the charge rate is spot on and no boot or interior lights are left on . Is this normal ?

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The problem may be related to the condition under which you normally drive: if your daily routine requires to operate headlights, A/C; wipers and basically all of the electrics, then there is little left to keep the battery charged up.
    Which would explain why in a short amount of time the battery is out of juice.
    The easiest fix would be to use the "Battery Tender" and if it is wired correctly, you can have the connection hiding in a spot where you can easily reach for it without opening the hood.

3. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    I use my car with everything, AC, Stereo, Lights....left it for a week plus....several times....no probs. Your alternator might not be charging well.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- You may have a small short somewhere that is draining your battery. Ferrari publishes absorbtion data that can be easily checked with an abosrbtion meter by any competent shop. Here are the published absorbtion numbers and recommended battery recharge intervals.

You check absorbtion by disconnecting the battery switch and then connecting an absorbtion meter between the positive cable and battery. Charge the battery at the following intervals depending on what absorbtion you measure:

<40 mA 25 days
    40-60 mA 20 days
    60-80 mA 15 days
    80-100 mA 10 days

If I was measuring absorbtion over 60-80 mA, I would problably start looking for whatever is draining the battery. Glove box light, interior light, stereo, etc.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    thanks for the replies:

I have checked the altonator out put under load and its fine and if I use the car daily there is not a problem - I use my 550M in a similar style and it lasts 2 week before the battery dies- I note in the service manual that it says if you leave the car for more than 7 days you should turn off the master cut out . As I keep the car on the street a constantly connected charger is not an option.

I will be checking the amount of current drain this weekend and will update with findings

6. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Good Luck. Hope it works out. But 7 days is way too short for a battery to wear down, unless an alarm keeps getting sounded or there is a light left on.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    7 days seems a little short, but on the other hand there are a lot of electronics on the 612. I leave mine on the charger more or less whenever it's in the garage. I've left it for 3-4 days with no problems, but I don't leave it for longer than that.

It should have come with a charger, and there is a hard wired connection in the trunk for the charger. Heck, it even has an annunciator on the dash to tell you the charger is connected. All of that ought to tell you how important Ferrari thinks keeping the battery charged is.

I've found it to be very sensitive to low battery conditions, which is why I don't mess around.

8. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Geez, I leave mine untended for several weeks at a time and have no problems with starting. Only battery problem I've had was with our first 612 (2005 model)and it had a loose battery cable connection at the grounding post under the hood. Everything seemed fine until all of a sudden it just wouldn't start. Took a lot of tracing, and several weeks of intermittent failure to discover the loose battery cable connection. By the time we figured it out the battery was used up and we had it replaced. After that, it would go for several weeks without a problem. Never left it undriven for longer than that...

9. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    The limit for mine seems to be about three weeks, any longer and there's just not enough juice to turn over the engine, I now leave it on trickle when I'm not driving.

If you've got a third party tracker system you should probably check with the fitter that it's not draining.