612 luggage compartment cover panel | FerrariChat

612 luggage compartment cover panel

Discussion in '612/599' started by Soto Veloce, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I could use some help from the community on the proper appearance of the panel that forms the floor of the trunk in the 612 (see diagram from the Ricambi website)

The black carpeted panel from my trunk (see attached photos) is falling apart and collapses into the compartment that lies beneath it if any object heavier than he car cover bag is placed on top of it.

Part of the problem is the metal tubing that is incorporated into the underside of the panel is too short and does not fully span the distance of the compartment below. This makes me think that it is not the original piece and has been incorrectly reproduced.

The Ricambi diagram also shows some kind of loop that you can grab onto in order to lift the panel out, which is missing from my panel.

Can anyone with a 612 either post photos of the top and bottom of the panel in their trunk or at least describe what it looks like? I am specifically interested in what, if any, rigid support is on the underside and what the loop is made of.

I am going to have a local upholstery shop try to recreate the panel and would like to get it as close as possible to the original. Unfortunately the replacement panel listed on Ricambi’s site is actually not in stock or I would just replace it with an OEM part.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

2. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    I can, but it will be tomorrow. So a little patience is needed. :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

3. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Excellent! Thanks in advance.

Chris

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mine has a similar problem, and is definitely the original piece. It's a poor design.

5. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Same here, it starts to turn same as yours
    The conception of that floorboard is really cheap, and I think it is a piece of cake to redo a new one
    Personally I would go with thin plywood instead of this piece of carton we have, and dump the metal bar concept

6. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    I am starting to lean that direction as well. The only reason I want to try to recreate it as faithfully as possible is to avoid deductions from the Concours judges at an event this summer. It seems that the same piece made of plywood would be much heavier and easy to recognize as a non-factory piece. I wonder if that would garner a deduction or if it would be acceptable as long as it looks and functions like the original panel. Who knows.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The one thing about the 612 that I'm disappointed with is the trunk finishing. I wish I had known I could have gotten mine finished in leather, as that "technical fabric" is pretty lame.

I'll be interested in hearing about the concours. I'm thinking of entering mine in the FCA National concours when they come to Portland in 2021, although on the other hand, I tend to think "what's the point?" I've had the car since new, so I can guarantee everything is original...

8. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    True.

At that point it becomes a beauty contest I imagine. I’m just intrigued by the prospect of having my car scrutinized by the judges to see what merits a deduction and what is deemed to be acceptable.

Will you be at the NW Chapter Concours in July? It would be nice to meet another regional 612 owner. I spent some time in the building bearing your family’s name while at OHSU!

I will also be participating in the Idaho/Montana Drive in August. Perhaps we will cross paths someday.

9. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
  10. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thank you very much.

It looks like you may have taken more photos, but I am only able to see one of them. There are 4 other attachments that display an error message when I try to open them, but I can see the picture of the underside with the metal bar. There appears to be a small circular piece at the leading edge. Is that connected to the loop that allows you to lift the panel out?

-Chris

11. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Hm, strange. I can see all the pictures (5)
    Maybe with another device you can see all of them? Otherwise I can send them by email or WhatsApp.

That circular thing is indeed connected with the loop to lift it up or out of the trunk.

12. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    OK. Not sure what the issue is. I am getting the error message on both my iPhone and desktop.

If it's not too much trouble, you could send the photos to my email address:

[email protected]

Thanks again for taking the time.

Chris

13. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Done, see your inbox!

14. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My OTO is the same pasteboard
    If it helps, my wife’s Panamera is only a little better

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here are the photos front and back of my cover. I am also posting a photo of the compartment below it. I always keep this compartment full with mf towels, my half car cover to protect the leather when parked outside, mine and my wife's F jackets, umbrella, etc., so that when I place stuff on top of the cover it is supported from underneath.

Attached Files:

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #16 Nospinzone, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    I would encourage you guys to enter when it comes to Portland. I went through it last year in Daytona. It is an anxiety provoking experience, but very rewarding. It isn't really a beauty contest. Of course they want you to have a clean car, but they also appreciate people who actually drive their Ferrari. I drove mine down from Massachusetts 2 days before the event. It rained the day before the Concours. I was up at 6 AM trying to wash my car in the dark the day of the Concours. Meanwhile there was another 612 there. The guy trailered his car from Naples, FL to Daytona. I achieved Premio di Platino while he did not.

I then went on to compete in the Coppa Bella Macchina competiton. Now that is really nerve wracking. The whole thing lasted about one hour. You have to show everything on your car operates. This includes taking the judge on a set four mile ride where he even checks that your clock works and both the odometer and trip meter read the correct distance! I also achieved this award. If one item fails you have one hour to fix it. If a second item fails you're out. The 360 next to me failed because her cassette player didn't work. Another guy was missing 8 screws from the undercarriage panels. He rushed over to the paddocks, borrowed a garage jack and the screws and completed the exam!

Go to the FCA site and read about the judging process. This link is a thread where I documented my trip to Daytona. It starts at post #92 and ends at #110.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/amne-ferrari-service.506977/page-10

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I am going to be at the concours in Renton this year, but with my 365GT. Now that is a car that I'm not sure about how it will do. The 612, I'm pretty confident in, given that I've had it since new and the same Ferrari master tech has serviced it since new.

18. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    the material underneath seems like a nonwoven, you would need to find something similar. But I do not know how I would unglue the old one. You could try to steam it like wall paper.
    Seems easier to go from scratch, in any case I would not destroy the old one for this. Just make a new one, also the aluminum profile can easily be found in diy shops...
    If plywood would be too heavy, try to look at Isorel it is a special cardboard used in automotive for many many years and it is available in a wide range of thickness

19. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Mine does not have the loop and the metal bar was coming lose. A little epoxy fixed that. Problem i have is that mine is a tight fit and i need to bend the edge (toward the rear of the car) to get it out. Im thinking about shaving about 1/4" off the straight edge to get it to fit properly.

20. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I am having a new panel made based on my original piece and the photos that were generously provided.

I’ve had to stress to the upholstery shop that I really need them to resist the urge to give me a better, more functional panel and rather try to accurately reproduce a flawed design. Probably not a common request.

Don: I will look for your 365GT in Renton. I am certainly planning to attend the 2021 Portland Event and will enter for judging there as well. I grew up in Portland, so it will be interesting to see an FCA meeting of that caliber in my old home town. I’m not holding my breath for Spokane to host anytime soon , though we did host the Porsche Club’s National Event this past year.

Thanks again for everyone’s input. I’ll post photos of the final result in a couple of weeks.

Makuono and 360Marnix like this.
  21. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I think what you need to make sure also is that the carpet cover is as bad as the original :)
    Watch out for the color and length of fibers...

22. Soto Veloce

Soto Veloce Karting

Aug 7, 2005
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Chris Heller
    Good point. The lady at the upholstery shop laughed a bit when I told her that I was able to obtain global confirmation that the original panel was a lousy design and that I really wanted her upholsterers to do their “best lousy work”.

In just about any other situation I would be having them give me a reimagined panel with a design that makes sense and that will last forever. Instead I have asked them to recreate a flawed design that fell apart after 12K miles. I believe this is part of my initiation into the sometimes bizarre world of Ferrari ownership

360Marnix likes this.
  23. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005

24. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    I did not read through the entire thread. I own a US 612 from new. The car has Two floor panels in the trunk. A upper and a lower.