612 with or without manettino? | FerrariChat

612 with or without manettino?

Discussion in '612/599' started by jackson52, Feb 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackson52

jackson52 Rookie

Feb 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Eric Jackson
    As the number on my ID suggests, I have passed the equator of life and have finally decided to get myself a Ferrari.
    Unfortunately, as I am 1.84m tall and move the scales to 114kg the V8 models are not for me.
    So I've been checking the 612 models from the years 2006 - 2008.
    I have noticed that some of the earlier models settle for 4 buttons on the steering wheel whereas later models have the famous manettino switch.
    My question is, apart from appearance is there any great difference between the models with the manettino and those without?
    Thanks.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Do a search on OTO and Sessanta specs. The Manettino was only fitted to those two models. Sessantas are very expensive (60 total production) and the OTOs are pretty rare. The OTO was introduced in spring 2008. There were lots of major changes on the Sessanta and OTO compared to earlier 612s. The 612 evolved quite a bit throughout production, even before those two models.

JLF, brogenville and randkin like this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Glad to see a new FerrariChat follower! There is a lot of good information here on the 612’s. It took me some time (18 months) to decide whether to get an early model or an OTO. The Sesssanta were just too rare (especially in the US) and too expensive for me to consider. Good luck with the search, which is half the fun.

Anthony James likes this.
  4. Fcar dreams

Fcar dreams Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter G
    Hi OP,
    I was in the same position as you and the guys here helped me take the plunge. I’m 2.0M with children.
    I ended up with 2006 “basic” 612, the main advantage is lower upfront cost. Don’t forget, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari

brogenville likes this.
  5. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    And a prospective welcome to the tribe! I'm 6'4" (1.93 m) and, through the good offices of a VERY patient salesperson at LFSC, discovered over the course of a day that the only car which was a comfortable fit was a 612 - just analog and "old school" enough with that honker front mounted V-12 as Enzo wanted it. I also had a modest role in helping a similarly large framed friend reach the same conclusion when his time came. In short - it's a terrific car full of passion and soul and semi-charming Italian idiosyncracies and it never fails to put a smile upon my face however the inventory at any given time is so sporadic that deciding which car will be the best fit will always be highly subjective. Do you get the OTO that's available today but settle for a maybe uninspiring color combination? Do you take a car with shields even though you can't stand shields? To what extent do you tolerate a car with deferred maintenance even though the color is "right" but it doesn't have the Daytonas which you really want? These are all deeply personal choices and only you can balance them ... and it's not like you can order one to spec anymore! My thought is that you start with a car that's been sorted and go from there. Regardless, you're about to enjoy a transformative experience and the people on this chat board will become your extended family and a precious resource - enjoy the ride!

tfazio likes this.
  6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One post wonder?

7. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I would restrict them posting until they reach a certain amount of posts…say 50.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Want to say that again? How do they get to 50 if they cannot post?

LVP488 and Skidkid like this.
  9. jackson52

jackson52 Rookie

Feb 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Eric Jackson
    I hate to disappoint " tazandjan " in as much as I am not nor ever have been a " one post wonder ". I suppose he must have started his posting a 101 and avoided been labeled a one post wonder.
    Although I have received several replies to my initial post I still haven't received a definite answer re. the manettino. I've viewed several vehicles of the year 2008 which all look pretty similar and are similarly priced ( in Europe ).
    However some have and some haven't the manettino and despite lengthy research I am unable to understand what if any difference, apart from visual, there is between the two models. Those with a manettino and those without. Salesmen ( and women ) I've discussed this with has so far been unable to give me a satisfactory answer.
    Hopefull, someone here ( not tazandjan, obviously ) can help me with this vexing question.
    Thanks.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's not complicated. The Sessanta had a manettino, and then the OTO, which was a mid-year update (the first cars came out in June, I believe) had a manettino. There were a few cars produced between the Sessanta and the OTO which did not, probably to use up the old parts stock.

I ordered my 612 in 2008, and it is an early OTO, so I am very familiar with that era. The other thing which went away with the OTO but was theoretically available earlier in 2008 was a manual transmission, but I'm not sure if they actually built any or not.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Sorry you did not get instant gratification on your question. You now have three answers that say the same thing and answer your vexing question. Time for you to do some research on the Sessanta and OTO now. Maybe you can answer the question on what changes were made from the F133F engine to the F133H engine? We still do not have that one nailed down yet.