7 mid engines. | FerrariChat

7 mid engines.

Discussion in '296' started by gzachary, Dec 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Of the following 7 mid engines, which 2 would you keep ?

Poll closed Jan 17, 2023.
  1. 296 GTS

37 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. 296 GTB

18 vote(s)
    11.0%
  3. F8 Spider

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. F8 Tributo

19 vote(s)
    11.7%
  5. Pista Spider

33 vote(s)
    20.2%
  6. Pista

47 vote(s)
    28.8%
  7. 458 Speciale

113 vote(s)
    69.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Your vote is private. Results in 21 days.

paulchua likes this.
  2. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    when Ferrari will start to build 4 cylinders cars to save the planet?

3. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    In less than 1 day, a good amount of voting already ( 54 ).

paulchua and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    458 Spider should have been a choice (especially since you included two F8s) ... personally I prefer it to the Speciale Coupe.

willrace likes this.
  5. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    It's a fair comment for sure. My thinking was based on what cars would have a certain perceived level of performance and market attraction. I am glad you posted your choice of the 458 Spider. For sure, it will now be noted as an addendum to the poll results as a write-in vote :)

At the end of the poll, I will provide my reasoning as to why I went the route of stopping at the Speciale. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    speciale and pista

7. same here

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    No thanks to turbos unless it is an F40, so can you double-vote for the Speciale?;)

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    This is such a no-brainer:
    1) Speciale
    2) Italia (why did you not include it?)

willrace, LARRYH and JTSE30 like this.
  11. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I promise I will say more at end of poll. I would rather have the poll look incomplete/nonsensical/etc right now to avoid bias.

paulchua likes this.
  12. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    The other issue is that almost no one here owns a 296 GTB (never mind a GTS) to have driven long enough to have a valid opinion on whether we would keep it or not.

So you're really asking us to vote our preference between several cars that have been owned and two based on the idea of them.

How could anyone possibly know if a 296 GTS is a keeper?

LARRYH and KT296 like this.
  13. cmevo3

cmevo3 Rookie

Mar 5, 2014
    Any hybrid car is probably not a 'keeper'. I would drive the 296 as much as possible.
    Chet

LARRYH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I thought everyone might be interested to see the current sentiment being discussed. By the time a critical majority of people own and drive or test-driven the 296, we will probably be discussing a newly launched announced model or rumored model that we don't know of right now.

So, even though I want to answer all questions, I have to hold off so that what is showing in the poll is a good base for conversation. I realized that I wouldn't be able to satisfy everyone's desires. Thus, looking like a dumb dumb before the poll ends. (scientific speak).

We can also run the poll six months from now as well. Also, one of the reasons it is a 21-day poll is that there will be more 296s in people's hands by the 3rd week of January. Just trying to open up some good conversation pulling together opinions and experiences from various forums and threads. That's all.

paulchua likes this.
  15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Speciale was the easy lock.

For me #2 was something of a toss up then between the 296GTS and the Pista Spider. I clicked Pista... but IRL I'm spending my money on a 296GTS.

BigJay2050 likes this.
  16. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yea, the Speciale was an easy pick for #1. For #2, I was torn between the Pista and the F8T. I ultimately chose the F8 even though the Pista will undoubtedly retain its value much better.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    For me it would be the 296 GTB, as the most technically advanced and quickest of the bunch and the Speciale as the best representative of the N/A era.
    Happy New Year Zach!

gzachary likes this.
  18. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    ]
    Happy New Year to you as well! I'm grateful to be part of a genuine community that's enthusiastic about Ferrari. Learning something new about Ferrari every day is fun. Cheers to the New Year, everyone!

paulchua, JTSE30, BigJay2050 and 2 others like this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    For what its worth if you are doing a pole on mid engine cars you only gave one chioce for those who prefer a non turbo so why not go back to say the 360 or whatever … it looks like an incomplete pole not sure what you are looking to get but ..its not going to be accurate without going back at-least to the 360 cs…

-K1- likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    360? Why not include the 296 Dino, then?

-K1- and gzachary like this.
  21. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #21 gzachary, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    Thanks for the question. The origin of the poll was inspired by the thread of "296 vs. F8." A bit of hybrid vs. turbo question. The intention was to know what mid-engines would be picked that were all in a similar range of performance, customer range, and modernity. I took price and modernity out as variables. I wanted all of them to be in the same performance range. This generated the model range where the Speciale was the cut-off.

Because there are many choices of mid-engine going back decades, this poll could have marginally become completely fractured into so many choices. The 458 Speciale is at the end of this performance range. The last NA mid-engine is below 3 seconds, 0-60, subjective handling is better, etc., compared to the 458 Italia. I also judged not to include the Italia or 458 Spider for the same reasons. If I went back any further, I would get the marginal asks of "please add Italia, please add 430 Scuderia, please add 360, please add F50, etc. I admit it's not perfect, but it's meant to provide some data for all of us for conversations in market comparisons.

I see the data now, and I am surprised. So please hang on for another 18 days. There are already 300 votes in 3 days. :) Trying to do my best here! :)

22. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I would think any 458 is the last natural aspirated v8 will always be a keeper… especially the Speciale.

For looks, to me the 488 Pista is the best looking of all… a perfect car… with then the F8 a bit try-too-hard before the 296 revamp

296 the is newest/best driver car,.. but with v6 and batteries, not sure it will be as-much of a keeper long term.

Money no object, I would love a 488 pista spider and keep it forever.

Bas likes this.
  23. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Speciale ;) !

24. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    Instead of choosing one I've kept my 458 Italia, 458 Speciale and 488 Pista! I've heard admitting I have a problem with Ferrari mid engine V8's is the first step...!

gzachary and TR007 like this.
  25. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    There are five days left until the poll data is released. I can see a variety of reactions, from "this means nothing" to "The F8 models because they have the best interior."

The poll results supplement our discussions.
    When the poll is over, and you want to post about a question or view, make a post here with a link to the forum you are starting that thread in. In this way, the proper posts are going to the right area.

I will give an update on Sunday. Poll data is open this coming Tuesday.

paulchua and ryalex like this.