720 S DESTROYS THE PORSCHE.... | FerrariChat

720 S DESTROYS THE PORSCHE....

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by gtjoey, Dec 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Well our buddy in florida on you tube just destroyed the Porsche and in 100 % humidity was still turning 10 second lap times.
    0 to 100 in 5 seconds flat!
    Someone can post the actual video.
    GTJOEY1314

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Can it beat a 1983 956 around the ring?

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What can?

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Can you drive the 956 thru a drive through? I'd try, but it wouldn't be nearly as easy, and the chain rattle would make hearing order at drive thru impossible. Fun burnout.

The most fun fact wasn't 0-100 in 5.1. It was 60-130 in same 5.1. 0-60 was 2.5 iirc.

Thing pulls harder up top. Just shoves and shoves, effortlessly. My other stuff feels slow now. Damn

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I command that you stop these posts.........

until I get mine! :)

Sfumato likes this.
  6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Whats funny is the Porsche rolls up and it says it has no cats/straight pipes a tune and some other things, then the 720 just pulls up.
    Cant stop I have a british delivery, it was supposed to be my birthday then Friday, you know how they work 2075 haaaa
    gtjoey1314
    sfumato did you call the guy I gave you....

CanAmFan and Sfumato like this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    This guy likes driving his Rothmans livery 962 around Japan. I'd love to do the same. ;)

steved033 likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    2 things I want to see 1) ring time 2) Chris Harris review who IMO is one of the few that gives an opinion from a drivers perspective.

Just in case you missed it: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/mclaren-720s-2017.540391/page-36#post-145728850

I will be surprised if the 720 doesn't crack top 5 on the ring, the LT version will likely be 1 or 2. Only issue with the 720s will be the suspension which could be a tad soft for the ring but that can easily be remedied.

of2worlds and Sfumato like this.
  9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I would like to see those two things as well.

Future versions don't interest me...show me 720 on the ring.

And a Chris review would be interesting--he'll love the drift control :rolleyes:

of2worlds likes this.
  10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Doubt they'll put an official ring time on it...still waiting for an official P1 ring time. All we got is an aftermarket (Lanzante) modded P1 GTR with a ring time (P1 LM, which is a weird homage to an homage). That was 4 seconds faster than the new GT2, but it's not a real production car. Based on that gap, I think the GT2 is probably faster than a P1. ;)

IPO1 likes this.
  11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you believe P1 owners, the P1 was quicker at the Ring but they didn’t say anything because they were waiting for Ferrari to post a time and did not initially view the 918 as a threat. If you listen to 918 owners the P1 bottomed out too much at the Ring and ran out of juice.

Either way one things for sure for the P1 is immensely quick and any gain the 720S makes on the P1 is in the corners/traction. P1 takes the straights. P1 also far more thrilling to drive. 750 LT will change everything though.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I was comparing the P1 to the new GT2. I think the GT2 would be faster if a P1 GTR is only 4 seconds faster around the ring than the GT2. LaF, 918, etc I'm not interested in anymore given what the GT2 did. Porsche still king and no McLaren destroying. Happy New year everyone :)

LVP488, IPO1 and Finlander like this.
  13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I am still scratching my head over that GT2RS Ring time, a total annihilation of 918/P1/LaF.......

LARRYH and Jo Sta7 like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Aero, tires.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The GT2RS is also probably lighter compared with cars with added batteries and electric engines, Porsche is announcing consistent weights (the GT2RS being lighter than the 918) while the official weights for the P1 and LaFerrari are overstretched dry weights. A tested LaFerrari has been 300 kg more than the claimed weight, a tested P1 240 kg more...

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    How important are Ring times and to who? Manufacturers? How many buyers really care? If I am buying a track car and actually race it then I get it but otherwise why does it matter? For me it is just fun information that will never be applied to anything other than a car forum for bragging rights. Just curious on the opinions here.

17. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Then why did you buy a 720--I know comfortable ride at 55 MPH? Just buy a Hyundai--it can do legal speed limit.

Of course track times are about pecker measuring--any exotic brand knows that (as do buyers--just some may not admit it).

It's what makes the $300k cars fly off dealer lots. Marketing BS at it's finest...and it works like a charm.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think this all the time. How useless is x vs x-2 seconds at some track I'll never go to.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Whats wrong with a Hyundai? :)

IPO1 likes this.
  20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Exactly. Sell the 720 and look forward to the Sonata incoming--get the track pack :D

LARRYH likes this.
  21. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Ring time aren't very important, especially to people who track. Main reason is that the ring isn't the typical track that people use and neither are Formula 1 tracks.

Viper ACR is generally considered the fastest of stret cars in the typical type tracks that people use. It is a little over 7 minutes on the ring.

People can celebrate a car maker for how good their engineering is based on laps where the car is by itself and we get a time based on the best lap of maybe 6 overall laps. This isn/t transferable to a typical track day when there is 25 to 30 cars on track with you with different horsepower and different skill drivers. A Porsche GT3, GT4 car is a fun car until you have to pass someone who isn't willing to let you pass. Get caught in traffic and lose that momentum then it isn't much fun anymore.

How much it costs to track the car, reliability of the car (nothing more frustrating then when the car only lasts one session on a track day), how easy it is to use the car on track and most importantly; how easy it is to pass an unwilling car is probably the biggest determining factor in which car(s) to buy and/or track for the typical week-end track warrior.

22. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #23 IPO1, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Never said it was important.

Manufacturers and internet 'journalists' posts believe otherwise. Most people don't track in any serious way (they think lead follow is a track day) and therefore fluff like 'ring times' make great marketing, as I pointed out previously.

Don't tell me they don't mean anything--I already knew that. You might want to let the good chunk of owners who think it's gospel.

It's not rocket science.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I brought up ring times because it's ridiculous to me that people talk about racing with street cars and how one brand spanks another when it's pointless to me. So I posted an example of how Porsche beat McLaren (and others) as a response. :)

The OP brought up the 720S beating a Porsche, which to me is ridiculous as they're street cars with satnav, a/c, power everything, leather, etc...clearly not race cars. I also don't get it when people that want F1 transmissions argue it's better than manual because it's faster. Why does it matter when the car is used to go to valet only? If you want to go fast on a race track, buy a track-only car. Right tool for the right job.

Street cars on race tracks have always looked awkwardly out of place to me...same for vice versa with track cars converted to street. It's ridiculous.

24. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    yes and no. In the last 2.5 years I've probably participated in 50 track days. Combination of club track days, private track days but primarily HPDE events.

This past week-end there was 183 people who signed up for a two day HPDE event. Many attending both days and some one day. I'd say that there was maximum 20 cars that were not street cars. This is typically how it works at HPDE events. If people thought the best way to track was using a race car then there would be no HPDE events and they take up a good amount of track rentals throughout the year. Take away HPDE events and all the economics associated with it (consumables, coaches, hotels, transporters, track rental) then the remaining infrastructure would not be able to support people who only track race cars. Essentially, HPDE events which primarily have street cars tracking help support the entire infrastructure used for racing/tracking.

I've though many times about getting a dedicated race car. However, I nixed it because I have no inclination to race and just want to track with my friends or like minded individuals. I don't want to pay for the race car support team if I'm not going to race. It'll become too expensive and I'm not a DIY type. It's more fun to track a similar (but better more powerful car then your friends -:)) car to what your friends are tracking. It's easier to brag then if you are circling around them in a proper built race car.