812 GTS: To ADAS or not to ADAS | FerrariChat

812 GTS: To ADAS or not to ADAS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nimamd, Sep 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Dear 812 Ferraristas!
    I am really having a hard time deciding about adding ADAS to the option list of my 812 GTS.

Having the convenience of the adaptive cruise control in heavy traffic sounds great.
    In particular, I really like the added safety features, such as emergency brake or pedestrian recognition. I think any safety feature in such an expensive car would be valuable.
    One thing I do not like about it is the sight of the square cut out in the front grill (ACC1 - Front radar with ACC).

What is your experience about ADAS in your Ferrari?

I would greatly appreciate your advice!

Thanks

Susano-oh likes this.
  2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I have ADAS on my 812SF. I got it for the adaptive cruise, I use it frequently. I don’t really mind the cut out for the front radar, I’m in the drivers seat, it doesn’t matter.

The predictive braking sometimes gets annoying, if I’m lane changing a little close sometimes it warns me. I turned off lane keep assist warnings.

Susano-oh and nimamd like this.
  3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I chose not. I didn't want the big camera marring that beautiful front end.

megamarco9, Napoli, 430jm and 3 others like this.
  4. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    Because I'm using all of my cars frequently I ordered just the cruise control (who needs lane assist..) and don't wanna miss it anymore.
    In traffic it works better than the system in my AMG

Sent from my SM-F711B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

john a barnes, bluesea and nimamd like this.
  5. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I have it on mine. It will give you something to talk about. No big deal. Get it, be safe.

nimamd likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I was told it is mandatory.

nimamd likes this.
  7. Quick1

Quick1 Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    B
    I would say this all depends on your intended use of your Ferrari. I drive over 20,000 miles per year in my daily driver, and I use my cruise control for maybe 500 of those miles. I prefer and love to drive. So when I take this car out I will want to be in full control of this glorious machine at all times. The experience will be about the drive and not necessarily the destination which will be a byproduct of that drive. I do believe you get other driver safety features on the GTS, but I don't have the detailed specifics of what comes with the car if you don't get that front radar system. I do feel that front cut out looks like a scar on the face of the GTS.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I never use cruise control and I hate the cutout. Thus I will not order it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wait guys...I told my SA I did not want ADAS on my GTS and was told on two separate occasions it is not something I can’t opt out of...that it is 100% MANDATORY in the US.
    Is this not true?
    If so I’ll be making a call first thing Monday morning!

Please, anyone here in US order a GTS recently and have the option to NOT order ADAS?

nimamd likes this.
  10. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Not a GTS, but I locked in my F8 spider order just a couple weeks ago and ADAS was not a requirement. I opted for it, but it was an option that I could have foregone if I wanted. Not sure why the GTS would be different

Caeruleus11, italiafan and nimamd like this.
  11. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    i did not request any specific ADAS options, but this is what my build looks like. It looks like there are some standard features that fit under the category of “ADAS,” but the front grille cutout only appears if you add the adaptive cruise control

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tfazio, italiafan and nimamd like this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    There is no USA regulation regarding any ADAS items being mandatory.

Many manufacturers of all types are making it standard equipment, but, none of it is mandatory.

"voluntary"

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-iihs-announcement-aeb

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-announces-2020-update-aeb-installation-20-automakers

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-announces-update-historic-aeb-commitment-20-automakers

ADAS systems are immature and cause too many problems, hence the recent general order to have all reported and made public:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36922242/nhtsa-autonomous-cars-eport-crashes/

13. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I specifically know the law on this, but I can say there are some features you have to take. ADAS has a broad definition and it includes features like cruise control, backup rear camera (that is a law that went into effect in the US in 2018), lane warning, emergency braking and at a different level, lane and distance keeping. It may include the engine auto stop/start. I don't know all the details.

My sense was Ferrari put ADAS into two packages for the GTS, one standard, and the other with the difference being Lane and Distance keeping which requires the front camera. There may be other features as well, idk the details.

Caeruleus11, italiafan and nimamd like this.
  14. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    "As of May 1, 2018, all new cars in the United States must come equipped with backup cameras. The law requiring these cameras started its phase-in process in May 2016 and completed enforcement May 1, 2018." https://www.autoinsurance.org/are-backup-cameras-required-on-new-vehicles-updated/

"A backup camera, also called a rearview monitor or reverse camera, is an advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) available in many vehicles made within the last twenty years." https://caradas.com/backup-camera/

italiafan and nimamd like this.
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #15 JTSE30, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    A backup camera is NOT an ADAS, it's a camera, it does not take control of the car's motions, that's the base definition of what ADAS is (think of lane keeping - steering wheel kickback and refusal to go, brakes that apply themselves, etc...)

backup cameras have been around for decades, for instance

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/infiniti-q45-4/

and available as an add-on for almost any car ever made, there is nothing "advanced" about them and certainly nothing in a backup camera that is connected in any way whatsover to the powertrain (rear/cross traffic devices use K-band radar like the blind spot monitors, some use ultrasound and none of that is mandatory in the USA)
    https://mycardoeswhat.org/deeper-learning/rear-cross-traffic-alert/

nimamd and italiafan like this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That’s what mine looks like too, so maybe it’s not ADAS? I’m confused. I just don’t want that huge ugly cut out in front grill.

nimamd likes this.
  17. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #18 JTSE30, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    I find no USA regulation mandating a front camera of any sort for any purpose. Yes, I see it shown as being mandatory in the options list you provided but that appears to be inaccurate for the USA.

If it was mandatory it would not be optional...(is there an option code for the backup camera? there was previously but no more, as it is required, just like there is no option for airbags, they are required)

If it was mandatory it could not be defeated:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+disable+"lane+departure+assist"+2021

19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    great logic. have you ordered a GTS? although logical your argument doesn't hold up with FNA when you place an order for an 812GTS or 812c. at least that is my experience.

20. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    And, there is no requirement for FCAM in Canada either, so, that write-up in the image you provided is factually inaccurate.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/corporate-services/consultations/background-advanced-driver-assistance-systems#_Lane_departure_warning

And, does not appear as being mandatory in any Latin American country:

https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industry-reports/latin-america-adas-market

so, that write-up about FCAM being mandatory is without any regard to reality.

The closest I can find for a country mandating FCAM (lane departure warnings) is South Korea, but that's only for big vehicles, not cars:
    https://etsc.eu/south-korea-mandates-new-vehicle-safety-tech-while-eu-delays-again/

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    FNA requiring an option does not make it legally required, they just want to ensure the car is equipped for whatever reason they have including the factory instructed them to do so. I do recall the dealer indicating the FCAM option was required one way or another but then they quickly followed-up that it can be permanently defeated. That alone tells you it is not a legally required item. For instance, there is no built-in factory-provided ability to 'defeat' an airbag or odometer....

hs355 and italiafan like this.
  22. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Thank you so much for all your inputs!
    In your opinion, how much would ACC1 - Front radar (ACC, Emergency brake, Pedestrain recognition) enhance the safety of the car?

italiafan likes this.
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Hard to say, a lot of it is simply annoying (other than maybe the adaptive cruise control, but I do not believe in using cruise control when there are any cars in your direction of travel within a quarter mile).

Have you ever driven a car with the various "take over control of the car" technologies? If you are typically a safe and competent driver you might find them quite annoying. If you have not, go rent a car with those features and live with it in traffic and see if you appreciate it or not...

24. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Most of these features I do not care for. ACC in true stop and go traffic jams is welcomed …. You can literally just chill and let the car creep forward every few minutes. Otherwise I’m not a fan. Most of these systems require you to keep your hands on the wheel so honestly if your hands have to be on the wheel anyway then is it really so hard to steer yourself? Unless you are regularly driving in heavy traffic I’d skip it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and nimamd like this.
  25. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Can you turn the annoying features permanently off?