812 Market Dynamics | Page 20 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Congrats, gorgeous

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I know several of the people here, including @roma1280 and @ttforcefed - they dont need me to say it- but I will- these guys are not just the real deal (probably over 100 really amazing big name cars between them!) but are among the smartest people I know. So- they have their opinions which we are all entitled to- but they have been around for a long time so its worth listening to them- even if you disagree.

My opinion is I love the 812. I think it's brilliant. But alas, I am not the market place.

In addition to all the fabulous opinions and information shared here, I think we've missed one other point: the market place has changed. Right or wrong, for better or worse, front engined designer are not really favored by the market place anymore. Don't believe me? Look at the mechanical layout most frequently introduced into the market these days....

I think there will still be a solid amount of people who still prize what the 812 can do. I don't think its really right to look at the 812 as a traditional GT. That is the Lusso. I think the 812 is really a front engined supercar. You have to look at it more akin to a 488/458/ type car.

I can see how 812s might firm up at some point, but the history is the front engined V12s don't really hold value as well as the mid engined cars and they all depreciate.

The one place I think people are going a little wrong is thinking these cars should hold up better- I remember what happened with 599 and Scud values. I don't think its anything new. The new thing was that we were in a bubble from ~2012- 2017. That seems to be over. It doesn't make the cars any more or less amazing.

Buy what you love and can afford.

mclaren slr, anunakki, R J and 7 others like this.
  3. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    I am not saying the 2RS has no soul as it is a truly awesome car. I just think it has less personality overall vs the 3RS and 812. I believe I feel this way because I find myself gravitating more towards normally aspirated cars currently. I wish you many thrilling drives in your 2RS.

Caeruleus11 and roma1280 like this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    What year(s) 3RS would one get? I am a novice on the 911’s and my god every year there is another .1.2.1.3 to keep track of. I have no idea which is the one to get.

5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I agree 812 has more personality and if I could only have one I would take the 812.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Sorry for the OT, but since you asked... IMO, the one to have is the 997.2 (you might as well get familiar with the vernacular) GT3RS. I owned one back when they were near-new and can safely say it is one of the most engaging cars I've ever driven... It still has 'soul'. It's not a monster in the horsepower department like the newer ones - or an 812! - but if that's your main concern, a GT3RS isn't the right Porsche for you.

Back to your regular scheduled program...

davitd and gabf1 like this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    As an owner of the cars in question, I concur. I'd even go so far to say that my Speciale and Pista would be let go before my 812.

Tim Riley, Thecadster, R J and 6 others like this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations gef3rd!!
    I'd even go so far to say that my Speciale and Pista would be let go before my 812. That's very strong support of the 812!! Any specific reasons?

9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    In one word - engine. Throttle response, power and sound is in a world of its own. The changes in pitch/tone as it increases revs is addictive, as are the downshifts. A true sense of occasion every time I drive it..... to the extent that I've been tempted to purchase another. Kind of like a pair of shoes that you're worried will one day be discontinued, so you stock up!

Napoli, Bundy, Thecadster and 4 others like this.
  10. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

So true.I am down to my last pair of original style Puma Speedcats.

11. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Thanks for your comments ScrappyB!!

12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    A fun read:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ferrari/812-superfast

"One day, when we’re all driving electric cars, museums will want to put a single example of the internal combustion engine on display. So we can look back and remember. It should be this one. This pounding, thrashing, soaring, triumphant 6.5-litre V12 is as far from the electric motor as it is possible to get. Forget museums, a place in heaven should be reserved for this engine. It deserves to sit on high with God the father."

maxemus, ChipG, sampelligrino and 8 others like this.
  13. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #488 montpellier, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    That really is the point isn't it. No one knows when the end will come for such ICE but it is closer than we think/want

14. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Congratulations!! Beautiful spec.

Would you mind telling us if you paid under msrp, msrp, or over msrp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    PERFECT!!!

16. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Looks like the black/red version of my black/yellow interior.

Congrats again!! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I have no idea what the market will be but I still love my 812.

R J, Thecadster and PhilNotHill like this.
  18. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    I have never paid over MSRP. The dealer recently sold my TDF and I had my Lusso T on consignment with them. They called me when the owner passed on this car. They put a deal together where they took my Lusso T in at a fair price and I paid MSRP for the 812. I know the market is falling but there’s just something about a V12 that’s just ludicrous, addictive and makes me feel like a teenager when I hear that V12 fire up. I’ve played “the game” for a long time. At this point I just want to have fun and not be looking down the road for the next great offering. For some reason the 812 just seemed to say “take me home”. I just think it looks menacing in black. The only car I can see replacing it with is the 812 VS someday. I’m not even sure I would do that as it’s hard for me to justify thinking about miles vs. market value on limited edition models. I know I’m under water on the car but frankly it doesn’t matter. The reason I know is because I read a thread on 812 market dynamics.

Bamsefar, KenU, ScottS and 6 others like this.
  19. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Do you know when the 3Q numbers will be released?

20. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    At some point in December.

21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Excuse my ignorance but what are 3Q numbers?

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I imagine they are referring to 3rd fiscal quarter which I think ended Sept 30.

23. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Correct. Howmanyleft.co.uk takes a couple of months to publish, so expect to see update in early December showing how many 812 delivered to UK in Q3.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am thinking of moving from a 488 Spider to the 812 and my salesman told me they could not only hook me up with an allocation for a car that wouldn't have GPF and could be delivered in less than a year but they would give me a good trade on my 488 if I did. He said that he probably wouldn't do as good a trade for the 2019 he has on consignment in the showroom. That car has 1200 miles and was a 411k spec asking $379k. It's very nice and I liked it. I am just reluctant to give up the 488 after only a year and a half.

The one thing I don't like about the 488 is that it's a tight fit and sitting in the Portofino and the 812 let me fully appreciate that today. I think the salesman also told me that they are going to be looking for 812 owners to get the first allocations of the GTS and that I could probably get one if I bought a coupe. He was steering me to the spec though so I am not so sure if that would be true if I bought the consignment car.

25. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    If your long-term objective is be in a GTS, and you are in no hurry to be out of the 488, how about enjoy the 488 another 18mo and then trade in on a GTS?
    Unless 3 cars in 3-5 years is no big shake, in which case spec a SF to your liking and make a game-time decision if the GTS allocation is actually offered.

PhilNotHill and roma1280 like this.