812 Market Dynamics | Page 21 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks for the insight, very interesting

Would you go as far as saying that he's willing to take a loss in the 488 to sell you a 812?

They must be really struggling with cancellations given the relatively short wait period and the attractive offer

What's your feeling about where you can push the consignment car? 379 feels quite high in the current market

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Yes, Ferrari is struggling with 812 cancellations (any USA dealer has immediate or near immediate allocations ready, the Austin dealer car if ordered now would likely arrived by June)
    1. Here's your handy roadmap to 812 US MSRP:

$335,275

then, for 2019, increase:
      +$22,827

2019:
      $358,102

then, for 2020, increase:
      +5600

2020:
      $363,702

none of the above does not include +$6,750 delivery fee, because it remains the same for each year
    Thus, a 2019 listed at 379 is equivalent to a 2018 being listed at 356, definitely reasonable.

Caeruleus11, Bundy and wrs like this.
  3. 1881

1881 Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Wow what was the reason for the 22k increase? Seems a lot

The 379 is 'just' 8% under retail, which seems little compared to 20-25 % below retail for an equivalent car in the UK

4. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Speaking to two USA dealers, they are stacked out with 812 that they cannot sell. GTS one reason, the need to acquire "status" another , so many bought cars they did not want because they had to. They all want the next La F/Enzo etc. Many freaked out by depreciation, Ferrari now leading the world in epic depreciation . The business model has changed , Ferrari want new clients , and willing it seems to disregard their current clientele . They will have done their analysis and decided it does not matter on the overall scheme of things. The world changes . That is life.
    Seems such a shame , one of the greatest Ferraris ever made is being treated like a leper though ! Best thing they can do to assist dealers and clients is announce that coupe production has ended. Grab an 812 bargain, as in a few years you will be kicking yourself . I love mine even if it loses a VW golf in value every week.

roma1280, Caeruleus11, JTSE30 and 3 others like this.
  5. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    #505 Maloja, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    I agree, just bought this past Monday a fully loaded 03/18 with 7500 km MSRP EUR 423k for EUR 339k in Germany. I would have been eligable to order a 812 GTS according to my dealer but I decided to upgrade my F12 to a 812 SF first. IMHO there is just too much uncertainty on how this 812 GTS effectively will sound like when the mandatory GPF will be installed once delivered and the additional restrictions pending in the EU in respect to the new lower Dezibel allowance starting from 2021.
    When I listen to the F8 Tributo I am already very skeptical about the potential impact the GPF will have on the 812 GTS......

The current 812 SF market opens great opportunities for positioning oneself with a great car without any unnecessary nannies before things start to get further restricted in the near future.
    ATTACH=full]2852809[/ATTACH] Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login future Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Attached Files:

96redLT4, tomc, R J and 9 others like this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I would think it's mostly about what he would offer me in trade on the 488. A consignment car usually has some room for negotiation. I bought my 488 on a consignment deal and I didn't pay the ask on it so I think there is wiggle room on the price there. Boardwalk has three 812s for sale right now and two F12s. The SA dealership has a 812 and a F12 so there is plenty of stock in the vicinity. That probably helps me on any of them I was looking at but there are tons of 488s available as well so that will hurt me on trade.

Ferrari going public has just made too much supply and also as mentioned, a lot of people bought these cars to get something else. I am not sure how much more I feel like taking a depreciation hit to get a different car. I took a $65k hit on the Cali T HS after only a year and I think the 488 would be $75k in a year and a half but it might be worse.

nimamd likes this.
  7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations! Loaded and great looking!

Maloja likes this.
  8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Well said. I love mine too. I mitigate the concern of depreciation by comforting myself with the thought that the masterpiece will be part of my permanent collection. Unlike many, I do see it as an end of an era car. Certainly the 812 VS will be superior, but sadly, I am so low on the Ferrari customer hierarchy that I was not able to secure even a Pista so a 812 VS is absolutely not in the cards. Between GPF, electrification, and various other wizardry/gadgetry, I don’t see a better car on the horizon in the 812 genre. Lastly, I know many continue to poo poo the looks, but the DRIVE is so magnificent, it barely matters. I can’t for the life of me imagine ever wanting to part with it.

montpellier, ScrappyB, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Amazing example. Truly SPECtacular. Love the seats. Congrats. Need more pics!!!!

Maloja likes this.
  10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I do not have specifics on why 22K other than that they "simply could" and for 2019 the USA mandated rear view camera as standard equipment so that is small part of that increase, otherwise I think most of it was done as Ferrari's overall plan of moving prices higher. The 2020 increase was mostly for the ADAS (front camera for automated cruise control,etc) and eventual GPF inclusion.

As for the UK market, it really cannot be compared to anywhere else at all (brexit + being oversupplied with what would normally be 4 years of production squeezed into 2 years)

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Overall it is a good thing Ferrari decided to UNDER supply the USA (EU/China were oversupplied due to impending emissions regulations) otherwise USA supply of 812s would be nearly twice what it is now.

And, you are correct, the 812GTS is the new "status" attractant, however, the rules may include 812 in the garage to get an 812GTS allocation...if that were to occur the current 812 market will quickly diminish...no official word on that yet, maybe by March 2020.

Another reason orders started to be cancelled this past March forward was the rumor, and perhaps Ferrari has noticed and held off inclusion of GPF for USA as word is no GPF for USA for MY2020...I'll check on that more later today and update if I find anything news worthy.

As for Ferrari's current customer, it is wall street, not you and me, committed customers do not seem to matter anymore, and that I think is a terrible mistake.

The 812 is the best V12 ever made, so free revving, it is incredibly responsive, that alone puts it at the top of the list and it is a great deal! From my estimation fewer than 700 in the USA at this time...

12. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Until the next one........:D

And sadly therein lies the problem.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This is excellent, not a problem. Getting more epic engines is a win.
    Buying new is where some get to feeling bad.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Would love to see something even more epic, but, with the demand from EU for GPF to comply and new sound regulations (also EU) not to mention automatic nannies that will sorely interfere with driving enjoyment -- it will not ever be the same again...so, this literally is the end of the line for truly epic V12, even Audi (Lamborghini) appears to be having trouble in committing to a V12 future beyond track only cars and that may be where Ferrari's future V12s will be found (track only, if for no other reason than to keep it alive in case the future regulations allow without suffocation of its exhausts...)

Thecadster likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the problem is many of the new clients are coming to the table being told these cars wont depreciate....in 3 years when they do the math on their trades there arent gonna be enough asses for each seat...

16. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well I guess that will be why there might be 4 turbo chargers on a V12 - the turbo's will for sure silence the engine, just like the 488/Cali T/Portofino/Lusso T?

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This is what the salesman told me yesterday and why he suggested I order one to suit myself. It would be here in less than a year and would not need a GPF.

18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Well, I went by there today (btw, they sold the MY2020 812 demo car, they had it less than 2 months and were not even trying to sell it!) and I double checked on the GPF status and it is as it was months ago...GPF could show up any time, there is no official factory statement either way, so, if you order you may want to carve out an exception if the car arrives with GPF then you will pass...or have the option to pass if it does not meet your sound expectations...

That RC MY2019 812 they have is a beauty...not sure if it has all the major options that you prefer...

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Only if the block is downsized, perhaps even to 4L before you would even have room for such an arrangement...the EB110 did that with 3.5L V12 (+Quad Turbos)

Yes, turbos feed off the exhaust, naturally are quieter and then add GPFs and you'll have the sound of the F8, so expect "hot tubes" to pipe engine sounds directly into the cabin (like the F8)...and I wonder if the Roma will do that too...we'll see!

But, to be clear, for me, there is absolutely no way Ferrari will turbocharge the V12...

Caeruleus11 and Eilig like this.
  20. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is already resale carnage, with all the new models, it will get worse. They have destroyed a commercially viable model, and not understood the secondary market, that you need to survive., and what their retail network need to surviver. It is short term gain. Luca was right to resist. It is a self inflicted commercial suicide. Worse, when the vehicles themselves are exceptional. Brand destruction . In 5 years there will be articles " Ferrari.. where did it all go wrong "

nads likes this.
  21. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Extremely True.

Almost every sales rep from many brands spins some story on how you will"never lose money or even make money" if you buy their car.

Ferrari is facing greater competition, increasing production, and increasing MSRP significantly. All these will make the "I'm gonna buy a standard V8 and drive it for free" notion a fantasy.

On the latter point, a 458 Speciale was usually around $340-$350K sticker, while an Italia around $290-$300k. Fast forward 4 years and most 488 Pista are around $500K MSRP, and the F8 Tributo is approaching $400K for typical spec.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #524 amenasce, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    The 812 Market will only get worse now that the Roma is out and is approx the same size but with rear seats and probably $100k cheaper. Yes, it's not a V12 but how many people will still want an 812 when they are :

Older car
    Less practical
    Probably not faster in the real world if at all
    $100k+
    And IMO much less pretty

The only thing the 812 has going for it vs a Roma is the NA engine.

Crazy what Ferrari is doing to its own customers. Kinda like what Mclaren has done for the past 7 years.

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would still want an 812. It has a V12.

junc, C50 and Autolove like this.